My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

While they were criticising you, what were they doing at the time?

dont sweat it. You reacted after assessing. That's how to do it. As for water, we were always told not to go in. There is a memorial at my old nick to 3 cops who died trying to save someone off Blackpool beach.

you get told not to just to cover the *albartroth* of management, but you dynamic risk assess each job. I've been in up to my knees to get someone, but I wouldn't have gone further as my boots, belt kit and body armour could have easily killed me. I also knew the water and tide speeds, so it was a calculated chance.

good luck with the SAR. It's a properly worthy job. As for heading towards trouble, you will have training how to do it, and it shouldn't be too bad as you will have a bunch of colleagues, and the person you're helping shouldn't be trying to fight you. You'll get used to it. Everyone is diffenent and copes differently, but you get used to it. I never had an issue at the time with jobs, but got a massive adrenaline dump afterwards when I could stop and think. Still do.

I will say that anything bad happens/you don't always succeed in a positive outcome, don't bottle things up. Talk. To anyone. On here, your colleagues, friends, family, even anonymous forums where people know what you're going through. I've seen it eat people up because they wouldn't talk.

again, good luck! If I could I'd be doing something similar. Easily said, but I would. My wife won't let me join the RNLI (we are coastal, so I can't do mountain rescue...) as its a risk. she worried sick every time I booked on duty, and doesn't want that again if it's something I don't 'need' to do (it's voluntary) ☹️

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The criticism came during post incident review of the CCTV (to cover us on logging the accident and incident). It was quite light hearted, I think more poking fun at me just standing there for a moment after the guy fell before moving to assist. 

And thanks on the SAR, no mountains in Cambridgeshire either so it's lowland but still fairly busy (60+ incidents last year) and it's volunteer (pretty sure all UKSAR is barring when they bring in helos which tend to be forces) so I'll still be doing my job, just wanted to give back and do something fulfilling. And you're right on the talking thing, I think that's one of the reasons I didn't do anything for so long. I was worried about whether I'd be able to deal with the very real possibility of finding someone I couldn't help without it breaking me but I reckon I can. Better to try and bring them home than not right?

Talking is good, I'm not great at that in person which is why I can't quite a lot on here, to others it may just be words but it's a release and helps me feel better.

Talking works. 

Hedge, I know a few guys in the RNLI, one was also a cop and another was a friends brother, and no issues here. It would be handy too as I'm about 7 minutes walk from our lifeboat station...

I've seen what's been in the news though, and that stinks if true. 

I love port, I really love it. 

Gives me one hell of a hangover though. Although that may be something to do with the fact that I drink it like wine. In the same measures. After drinking lots of wine. 

Wine. 

Edit, it's not for breakfast though. Although it would make the drive to work interesting... 

Should try port again really.

Last time I tried it I didn't care for it, but I know that tastebuds change as you get older and all that
When I joined the Reserves in 1999 at 18, I loathed the stuff. We had to drink it for toasts at dinners and I'd just wet my lips to go along with it and then pass the glass off to a nearby friend.

Now I love it and regularly get port for any gift-giving event. I've got filters and decanters and all sorts now, lists of which years were the best, etc. etc...

So yes, give it another try.

Archived