My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My corrodo has 75% of its engine working.

My daily golf is now only 25% lowered (new shocks and springs all around but the N/S/F pinch bolt is siezed in place so waiting on some plus gas oil to free it off and a steering knuckle spreader to help knock the strut out.) The tracking's out since changing the track rods with the subframe and roll bar as the centre engine mount snapped the bolts in situ and left threads. Was easier to get a new subframe (£99!) than drill the old studs out.

Mrs Tinks car needs a new exhaust thanks to the centre mount arms snapping off the main pipe! Genuine parts are up near £600 but can get pattern ones for around £100. will be nice to work on something not hideously rusty for once.

Also, I've been applying for jobs since the new year, it feels like, and getting nowhere.

I'm *fruitcage* tired of this.

I feel you on the cars, you know my stance now on owning second hand ones. And also new ones actually... 

Sucks on the job front, sorry to hear that. Looking at the positive, at least you're working at the moment so have a cushion whilst you look. 

It's literally the best thing about this mobility car scheme: I don't have to worry about any maintenance beyond keeping the screen wash topped up. Annual service, repairs, breakdown cover, even tyres - it's all included. And being a brand new car, it probably doesn't need much work in the first three to five years anyway.

The downside is that whenever the eligibility ends, you're left with no car and have to start again from scratch with the insurance, without no-claims history. It he's no sense but that's insurance companies for you - just legalised thieves.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, Hedganian said:

It's literally the best thing about this mobility car scheme: I don't have to worry about any maintenance beyond keeping the screen wash topped up. Annual service, repairs, breakdown cover, even tyres - it's all included. And being a brand new car, it probably doesn't need much work in the first three to five years anyway.

The downside is that whenever the eligibility ends, you're left with no car and have to start again from scratch with the insurance, without no-claims history. It he's no sense but that's insurance companies for you - just legalised thieves.

So I read this post like:

Yeah, makes sense, yeah, yup, yeah, one less thing to worry about when just living your life becomes difficult.

Wait, what?

You don't build NCB whilst not crashing and driving an insured vehicle?

Wat?

GET ME SOMEBODY'S HEAD!

They're not insured as such, you get a certificate thing which is legally equivalent to insurance.

Previously, the mobility people wouldn't issue any sort of proof of a clean record, but even though they now will, most insurers won't accept it, or only give you like one or two years even if you've been driving a mobility car for thirty years without incident.

Because insurance companies are thieves. They'll use any excuse to charge more for cover and any excuse to avoid paying out on claims either.

Hmm,  Weird setup.

Anyone had a parcel come through Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre recently?  Looking online it seems to be a hot spot of ineptitude and no way of telling what stage the parcel is at.  I'm guessing if it's been sitting there for over a week with no update, it's waiting to have a customs charge slapped on it?
On 4/19/2019 at 4:24 PM, hitmanNo2 said:

Hmm,  Weird setup.

Anyone had a parcel come through Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre recently?  Looking online it seems to be a hot spot of ineptitude and no way of telling what stage the parcel is at.  I'm guessing if it's been sitting there for over a week with no update, it's waiting to have a customs charge slapped on it?

Most likely.

Scrotes have been trying to break into houses in my area recently. Miss my D cell Maglite

4 hours ago, Tw1tch said:

Most likely.

Scrotes have been trying to break into houses in my area recently. Miss my D cell Maglite

Don't make your house a fortress. 

Just make it less appealing than next door. 

A floodlight or two, obvious outbuilding locks, fake or real CCTV. 

They will look elsewhere. Sad reality, but their it is. 

Also, D cell maglites pop up on ebay. So I've heard. I've also heard some people have a 6D by their front door. So it's easy to find in a power cut, and not at all to be used in a threatening manner because it's nearly 2 foot long and a couple of kilos of scrote deterrent. 

So I've heard. 

Cant really make my place a fortress given it's a rented property (hopefully my last one). 

However that means the only real thing of value in the communal area that's mine is a fridge. Rest is then locked in my room. 

I've some pretty bright flashlights for my SAR stuff which would definitely disorientate people and my valet tray on my bedside cabinet has a couple of Zebra F XMD for late night note taking.

I have flashlights, but rather than big D-cell monsters mine are the small tactical variety.

They're a bit spiky on the bezel though so I hope I dont stumble into anyone in the dark. With my 18 stone behind it, it would sure cause someone a mischief.

Ello all, been some time.

Have a new one: 18th was my birthday. Fookin 33.
Hair getting a bit thinner and belly a bit flabbier... more things to work on.
Had dinner at a Thai restaurant with my ma, da and girlfriend.
Da made a stupid, bigot remark and couldn't handle the flak my GF gave hime. You know.. taking responsibility for what you just said and all.

He ran from the table. Literally. Left my ma to pay the bill.

A good family is priceless peeps.
Getting a tattoo: ' It stops with me ' around a broken chain.
My da is mentally *fruitcage*ed, both my grandparents from his side were, my brother is equally blessed and, though I'm dealing with my messed head, I'm not there yet.
But I vowed it stops with me. Doubling down on making my own loved ones happy and supporting the people around me to get help if they have a difficult time.
Brother doesn't have nor want children, yet I do.

So it stops here. Adult things to decide!

3 hours ago, amateurstuntman said:

My 6D maglite doesn't work and I don't know why.

It also has a side-handle so it isn't very good for the "just a torch" defence.

Upgrade it to the terralux LED head. It's about 60 quid, but makes it a proper floodlight... 

Hedge, maybe this will fit? 

https://www.niton999.co.uk/niton-tactical-c-and-d-cell-maglite-handle.html

That looks like it would. Thanks. :)

In other news, I've been filling in this application/CV/ form thing for the Cadet Force commissioning process. It's mostly straightforward, but there's the obligatory "describe yourself and list your major strengths and weaknesses" section that's really getting on my nerves.

Been reworking it for days, still not happy. Describing yourself is harder than it seems, even more so when you only have 100 words to do it.

I loathe this type of thing.

1 hour ago, Hedganian said:

That looks like it would. Thanks. :)

In other news, I've been filling in this application/CV/ form thing for the Cadet Force commissioning process. It's mostly straightforward, but there's the obligatory "describe yourself and list your major strengths and weaknesses" section that's really getting on my nerves.

Been reworking it for days, still not happy. Describing yourself is harder than it seems, even more so when you only have 100 words to do it.

I loathe this type of thing.

Yep, it's rubbish isn't it? 

Archived