My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading an article about Detective Inspector Terry Hopkins, Police Officer and Veteran who killed himself on Christmas Eve.

And then being angry, angry that the government doesn't look after Veterans yet can push pay rises through (as well as their bloody expenses, isn't that what a salary is for?) and pay for this Brexit cluster*fruitcage* but won't help people it sent into harms way. Angry that people don't really seem to give a *suitcase* as it's not a celebrity, it's not smut, it's not apocalypse level events (though to the family I'm pretty sure it is). Angry that people feel their only solution is to take their own lives because we've stigmatised mental health ("committed suicide") and people don't think they can share their problems and theres not enough work being done by the government to get the message out.

3 hours ago, Tw1tch said:

Reading an article about Detective Inspector Terry Hopkins, Police Officer and Veteran who killed himself on Christmas Eve.

And then being angry, angry that the government doesn't look after Veterans yet can push pay rises through (as well as their bloody expenses, isn't that what a salary is for?) and pay for this Brexit cluster*fruitcage* but won't help people it sent into harms way. Angry that people don't really seem to give a *suitcase* as it's not a celebrity, it's not smut, it's not apocalypse level events (though to the family I'm pretty sure it is). Angry that people feel their only solution is to take their own lives because we've stigmatised mental health ("committed suicide") and people don't think they can share their problems and theres not enough work being done by the government to get the message out.

The *fruitcage* government care not a jot for the front line drones. 

Re cops, supervision don't care much either. My force weren't too bad compared to others, which can be downright toxic. 

Its disgusting, particularly mental health for armed and emergency services. We expect these people to put themselves at risk, into situations most people can't even comprehend and then we pretty much throw them away.

People act like this is a new thing but it's literally been going on since forever. Back in Napoleon's day, wounded soldiers and sailors were just left at the nearest town to fend for themselves, most didn't even make it home to the UK.

Welfare support for veterans is better than it has ever been. Mostly dispite government rather than because of it, but still.

Aye, it's as old as warfare itself.

Just it's far easier to come across with the advent of social media. It shouldn't be down to charities to pick up the pieces, to have to rely on people's generosity as opposed to the responsibility of the government.

Was cleaning up a bunch of blood today at work and my *fruitcage* glove split, I cut my hand yesterday. Didn't realise the glove was compromised until after finishing cleaning up.

Called 111 and been told to go to A&E but then a doctor called back asking if I'd washed it (I had obviously) and she says not to bother as I'm at low risk.

Not sure what to do now, don't want to pick anything up as its potentially life changing, don't feel like I can worry my friends or family (AM and Auditor know because of A&I reporting) so venting here.

Any risk at all is still risk one should not take with that matter.

Besides things going to hell again in the homestead, I managed to kill one of my good stick lipos trying to test rpk gearbox in receiver (should have used one of the butterfly ones instead).  Not sure if the mosfet unit itself is fried too, must have been a pinch in the wiring somewhere, ending up cutting most of the excess now in attempt to make it a top wire set instead.

Seriously fack trying to run wire to the buttstock, LCT doesn't understand receivers any better than century arms does.

21 hours ago, Tw1tch said:

Was cleaning up a bunch of blood today at work and my *fruitcage* glove split, I cut my hand yesterday. Didn't realise the glove was compromised until after finishing cleaning up.

Called 111 and been told to go to A&E but then a doctor called back asking if I'd washed it (I had obviously) and she says not to bother as I'm at low risk.

Not sure what to do now, don't want to pick anything up as its potentially life changing, don't feel like I can worry my friends or family (AM and Auditor know because of A&I reporting) so venting here.

The odds are that you're almost certainly fine. 100k people in the UK have HIV. The UK pop is 66 million. Other bloodborne illnesses are rare as well. The cut on your hand will have scabbed over to an extent further protecting you.

At the same time though it's a piece of to get tested for anything you worry you've picked up, at least the major ones like HIV as previously stated. If it really worries you, just book an appt and go down to get checked out. No point worrying over it if you're not going to do anything about it.

Problem is testing for those infections wouldn't be fruitful until 12 or so weeks down the line.

I know the odds are in my favour, just a little disconcerting hearing two very different things from two doctors. I think I'm going to try and chat to my GP for a third opinion.

If you don't have any cuts/grazes/sores on your hands, you should be good. 

Easy to say, I know, but you really are low risk. Through-skin infection is low, especially if you clean yourself after. Please don't think I'm trying to make light of it though, I know where you're coming from. 

If you really are worried, kick up a fuss with your doc, but be prepared for about 12 weeks of hell if you get put on the anti-infection drugs. I've not done it, but know people who have. 

I suppose it's better than the alternative though... 

I have a AA Maglite that suffered a battery leak a while ago that I wanted to try and get up and running again.  I tried to clean it up as much as possible but it looks like it needs a new switch assembly due to corrosion.  Which is 60% of the cost of a whole, brand new AA Maglite.  Very annoying.

22 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I have a AA Maglite that suffered a battery leak a while ago that I wanted to try and get up and running again.  I tried to clean it up as much as possible but it looks like it needs a new switch assembly due to corrosion.  Which is 60% of the cost of a whole, brand new AA Maglite.  Very annoying.

It is. 

Easiest to bin it, there are far better lights than maglite anyway! 

Saying that, I was issued a 2AA led one, and it's pretty good. 

Wouldn't buy one though! 

Yeah.  I don't really need it but I happened to need a torch and all I had handy was my assortment of ancient ones that seem wasteful to throw out.  It's even more annoying as it has an LED upgrade which might have been borked by the corrosion too but I can't tell unless I buy the new switch.  I seem to recall it was pretty OK when working considering it's fairly ancient tech.  Ideal if you don't need to direct the power of a sun at something though.

It's always a waiting game with ebay! 

My gripe is buying something that's supposed to be in stock, dropping a few hundred quid with a large company, and then getting emailed that it's out of stock. After it let me select 'next day delivery'. 

Then getting told money won't be taken until its dispatched. Then money being taken. Then emailing for a refund, and phoning up to confirm and finding it's not been processed. Then being told it will be a few days, whereas they can take payment instantly - actually even before they said they would... 

And then they lowered the price of the package I bought immediately afterwards. Only by about 4 quid, but still. 

I'm looking at you, Jessops... 

Anyway. Got a very similar deal with a smaller company, and it's coming tomorrow, free next day delivery as promised. 

First world problems... 😂 

Archived