My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I get updating the firmware of a drone. 

I also get updating the firmware of the remote. 

Yes, it has 'intelligent' batteries. So they need updating as well. 

But the charger that updates them? Does that really need an update? 

Apparently so. 

2 hours before you can even power your new toy up? Meh...! 

Then about half an hour sorting the settings. 

However, I'm super-chuffed with it. Moving it around and having the camera/gimbal track me is mega creepy, but it's one hell of a piece of kit, and I bought basically the crappest model thay make. And it's brill! 

The phantom is massive! 

This fits in a bag (which it comes with) about the size of a tupperware lunch box, including the remote control, 3 batteries, spare props and charging hub, so it's easy to carry. It's tiny. 

I'm early stages, but I'm so, so impressed with it. It does over 30mph too, which doesn't seem that fast until you watch it. And it's crazy fast when it's coming towards you with 8 spinning blades...! 

Range is good too, a few hundred metres in the open countryside. However, you can spoof the GPS to think its in America which activates the long range function. They will fly over 2km then, all stock... 

Buy one. Now. 

A DJI is on my list but I'm struggling to find a reason to justify it right now as I can't think what I might shoot with it around me.  I'm thinking of making a trip to Canada soon so might get one for that due to the stunning scenery there.

I have a friend that builds those tiny, racing FPV drones and they are insane.  I would worry about being into airsoft and drones though.  Two very expensive hobbies.

I've watched tons of fpv racing drones, I'd love to get in to that, but like you said, it can be spendy... 

This? I can't fully justify either. It's a treat to myself! Where I live is in between 2 airports (1 military) and my flight area isn't huge (dji geofence their kit though, so I shouldn't stray into restricted airspace...), but I'm still supposed to notify air traffic control if I'm going to chuck it up in the air. I don't think I'll fly it much at home. However, my work is out in the sticks, and go to the lake district several times a year, so I will use it a good bit there. 

As someone who lost his mother's mother back in March, I know too well the feeling Tink.  I grew distant from both side's grandparents over the years (to the point of disgust towards both really) but it still is a suckerpunch that doesn't go away.

Added a video to my 'watch later on my ipad. Just cos it seems to look like a nice one, from Arc'teryx. 

30 seconds later, I'm getting adverts for said company in my Facebook feed on my android. Never had one before. Won't buy from them due to their silly prices. Never been on their website. 

Why does the Internet stalk me so. 

Edit, and now the company I bought my latest drone off... 

I use a combo of TOR Browser, VPN, Private Sessions, Adblocker and Script blocker.
I use Chromium for consuming content and Firefox for shopping, two different profiles.
I never sign into Youtube.  In order to keep "Subscriptions" I have a Onetab that has the "Videos" page of each of the channels I watch.
I check it periodically to see if there is a new video.

And, of course, most importantly I deleted my Facebook account.  It took me 3 months and a dozen steps but it is "deleted".

Long overtime day at work + having to waste what little of an evening I had left replacing and idler pulley on dryer (knowing I will have to replace belt at a later time) + Evike (I know, devil dealer but alas the only ones stateside with plum ak midcaps "apparently" ) facking up my order by sending me orange midcaps instead of the plum ones = very grumpy me.

At least the sposn boonie in ss-spring pattern showed up alright and it doesn't completely choke my head (still might be a tad tight though).

6 hours ago, Lizzardia said:

Losing loved ones is very hard and sad :( But you have to be strong and live on.

Welcome the the forum Lizzardia.

You will notice that your post count doesn't go up if you post in off topic.
Have a search around, ask questions and enjoy yourself.

Happy to have you.

So, I'm *fruitcage*ed up right now for some reason.  Went to work feeling fine, towards end of morning meeting I start feeling some gas pain, figure if it doesn't go away I'll just go to the restroom.

Then I start feeling lightheaded.  Head for the restroom.  Proceeded to have diarrhea and then fall off the toilet mid black out, only came to because my right leg began to muscle spasm and the pain stirred me from the fog.  Large skin tear on my head, bruises over body, had to clean the floor and toilet naturally.

Bosses see I'm pale as a ghost and deem me unfit to work or drive myself home so I had to get mother to pick me up.  Been in bed most of the day now and any attempts to eat (to combat possible blood sugar issue or whatever caused it) result in stomach pain and throwing up.  Likely going to have to take tomorrow off.  Not seeing any medical personnel since i know insurance won't cover enough of it and in the long ago past no doctor could figure out why I would have lightheaded/blackout issues.

Also still family drama every *fruitcage* day.

I was looking forward to going out to play this weekend (to get away from said drama).

Also Evike trying to claim the Cyma Midcaps are the correct item just wrong shade batch when the barcode sticker description text matches what some overseas shops use for the orange models (*C72-YL).  They claim if I ask for a resend the midcaps will just be the same color again, which is funny in that they must have received hundreds of wrong ones since they don't even have the orange color ones listed anywhere on their store.

EDIT:  Oh boy!  Decided I best check the ExFog unit that was in the order as well.  Turns out it came with two of the same exact manifold style instead of the two different ones it is supposed to come with, the other style being the one I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Our military Padre died last weekend.  Had a heart attack while driving.

I'm not overly religious however the man was a genuinely top bloke.  Always had time to chat to anyone, could find the darkest humour in everything and offered sound advice.

Plus we used to shoot and shared the same breed of dog.

Sadness is in having to empty his office and chapel the plan the funeral. (Ironically he'd be the guy we'd all ask for advice on this bit!)

Archived