My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

To be honest it sounds awkward...

This evening, I asked Google if it/he/she listened whilst my phone was locked or even if switched off.

My phone swerved answering 3 times, and on the 4th it shut down.

I get that it monitors me, and am fairly ok with that, but to not answer when asked is naughty. 

I only asked on a whim as my wife and I were discussing it over dinner.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not awkward really, every couple has quirks that are normal to them whilst outside observers would find them odd.

I'm a bit autistic and have bad hearing.  I can only really hear the loudest (actually "most attention grabbing" which isn't always loudest but is harder to explain) thing going on.

If she says something to me I struggle to hear it and I am also watching something on my laptop that is interesting and she always does it while the adverts are on which, while garbage, are designed by very cunning people to grab your attention.  They are also louder than the show.

So, whenever she says something to me my response is *spacebar*, what?

It makes her cross.  She says she wants to communicate so I turn the laptop off and say "go" she gets annoyed.  She wants me to say something.  If I have something to say, I say it.

She complains that I get distracted by the TV.  I say "that's what it's designed for" and "if you want to talk, turn the damn thing off". That makes her cross too.

Most of your relationship is great, sometimes there is a little friction where my cold, logical, autistic personality rubs up against her emotional, empathic, irrational personality.

*edit*

Being spied on is , being spied on by a device you "own" is unacceptable.  Being unable to turn the spying off on a device you "own" should be illegal.

Having active microphones and cameras in your house, reporting back to huge corporations, collecting every scrap of data they can is insane.

Every bit of data about you, your family, your non-consenting guests, contractors in your house, any member of the public who walks past your *fruitcage* doorbell.  It's madness.  The last place in this country full of CCTV that you had a reasonable expectation of privacy and you have sold it to Amazon, Google and Facebook for nothing.
Nothing.
The "convenience" of Google assistant or Alexa, the ability to adjust your thermostat from outside our house?  What nonsense is this?  My thermostat has been on 21°C for 10 *fruitcage* years.
The ability to see who is at your door whilst you are on holiday?  .

Get the smart speakers out of your house, deny WiFi to your TV, get a firewall on your internet connection, run the whole thing through a VPN.  Root your phone, delete the bloatware.

Stop selling your privacy for trinkets.

This *suitcase* is going to backlash.  It has to.  At some point you are going to demand your privacy back and you are going to discover that some things, once given away, cannot be reclaimed.

So many cool new replicas coming out, and I'm broke like a joke.

That, and I again have the urge to do A Thing, I don't know what A Thing is, I just went through making a nice slideshow for the "Be Right Back" screen for my livestreams involving my old photos and all I know is I need a lot of gear, elbow grease and helping hands to have more.

Disney *fruitcage* plus.

They couldn't just keep their content on Netflix and being paid handsomely for it, oh no. They have to launch their own streaming service and begin pulling all their stuff from everywhere else. Which, since Disney owns half the studios in Hollywood, is a bit of a problem...

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder80 said:

What's worse than waiting 40 minutes for a bus that doesn't show up? Waiting 40 minutes for a bus that doesn't show up in the pissing rain

I remember waiting 40 minutes for a bus that didn't show up in a snowstorm.

Downtown.

Tried to take flashhider off my cyma ak104/5 to see if the pbs-1 would mount on it.  Cue hour+ heating it with a hair dryer and trying to twist it off with whatever I had on hand, only to strip the treads so badly that the whole endeavor ended up being pointless.  Just tried to glue the flash hider back into place because the retaining pin got pushed too far back and won't come back out.

Never taking a flash hider off ever again.

5 minutes ago, Gunmane said:

Late last year yes, though indirectly through Amazon page (at the time I had a gift card and figured hey, might as well).  40 series model so not like the older ones.

Yeah, Evike, and some other U.S. retailers put a set screw or pin into the flash hider to make it harder to remove. If you melt the glue and start turning without taking the pin out first, it'll annihilate the threads. You can use fire to heat up a metal object, and melt it out. I usually use a blowtorch.

Still, that blows, sorry to hear about that. It's happened to me too. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...

So this year a family member decided that rather than give out Christmas presents, he would make donations to UNICEF in other's names (I've no problem with that). What's annoyed me is that now I'm getting several spam e mails a day from UNICEF USA begging for more money with suggested amounts that take the mick, eg $150 and no clear way getting off their mailing list

Bloody Landwarrior.

My friend preordered the new TM Mk46, and I got him to stick me a H8R on the order too. Now they've shipped the Mk46 but saying the H8R is out of stock despite them being in stock at the time of order. 

They sat on part of the order to save themselves some shipping, sold the item that was paid for, and now they are paying twice for shipping anyway and I have to wait until they are back in stock before I get my new gat. And its bloody likely it will miss this months game day.

Very miffed.

Archived