My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because used car salesmen are a bunch of lying *suitcases* who'll say anything for a sale. When my mrs bought her first car it turned out to be a pos, so she took it back demanding a refund. They only reluctantly agreed when she showed them a 2 page report from another garage listing every fault and saying it wasn't roadworthy and threatened to go to trading standards if they didn't. The cheeky bugger then asked if she wanted to see if there was anything she liked the look of on the forecourt

Apparently we're now not likely to be offered the house we just bid on, the council woman is now saying there are at least two people with higher priority when just the other day she was saying there was only one other person who had already been offered something.

So don't know what's going on now.

Hedge, maybe look as a storage container for excess kit? W used one when moving house, and it was something like £9 a week. A local one, not one of these chain ones. 

Scorch, new car or second hand? 

If new, could you lease? I'm doing that, and would happily never own a vehicle again if I can help it. No arsing around with dealers too... 

The Derby city council housing office seems to be entirely staffed by ignorant, obstructionist *albartrotheth*. I saw a fairly ideal property not far away, close to family and has an adapted bathroom already. Even has PV solar panels installed.

I cannot bid on it.

I phoned them to ask why, and was given the run around for about half an hour without learning a single thing. The woman just kept going on about different bands without explaining what the criteria are or why our application is not banded for the same band as whatever this property is in.

Eventually I was able to ascertain that there's a mistake on the system, but I have no time frame for when it will be addressed nor any guarantee that I will actually be able to bid on that particular property once it is resolved.

This is at least the third fairly suitable property in the city area that I've seen and been unable to bid on. No idea what they're doing.

Meanwhile, the property in Erewash that I mentioned before is showing as 'offered elsewhere' so whoever it was offered to us almost certain to accept it. We were apparently ranked "1-5" when bidding closed, so obviously not 1 since we weren't offered it.

The two councils seem to be using radically different systems; despite having been given the exact same information about us, the assessments don't seem to be similar. I have no real clue how either system is supposed to work. At least the woman who we spoke to in Erewash actually seems helpful, unlike the city people...

Privately rented properties that are adapted are like rocking horse droppings, and even the other ones are out of our price range.

The wife is getting very stressed and upset, I'm thoroughly aggravated after speaking with this idiot today. The social worker ought to be managing this on our behalf but she's apparently off sick and is less than useless when she's at work. She claimed to have been checking the accounts every week, but failed to notice that Erewash had closed our account in April last year, so that was obviously a lie.

What is most annoying, though, is that I know that my wife's nan has the money to just buy our current house but has dementia so we couldn't get it done even if the rest of the family would stand for it which they obviously wouldn't. The solution to our problem is just sitting in a bank account gathering interest until she passes on, whereupon the various cousins and relatives will squabble over it like birds around a slice of bread.

Hedge, that is rubbish 😥

Scorch, I never saw it as an issue. No different bro a company car I suppose. I treat it like other cars I've owned without a second thought. I am truly glad I don't own it though, as any issues mean the dealer sorts it under warranty 🙂

It's often cheaper than buying a used car and having to spend money on MOT, servicing, maintenance, etc. Plus you get a shiny new car every few years.

I'm quite happy with the mobility scheme cars I've had, which is basically a leading scheme. Ours includes RAC cover, tyres, insurance, services and everything. All I have to buy is fuel and screenwash.

Housing update: a surprisingly helpful woman phoned me back and has sorted everything out - turns out some idiot hadn't set our account up correctly with the evidence we'd submitted, so we couldn't bid on disability properties.

It's now resolved and I've bid on the bungalow I saw earlier plus a wheelchair adapted new-build house with a lift, that's a bit further away but still might be good. It's so new that the estate isn't even on Google maps.

I'd rather not move back to the city council area as their council tax is higher, but beggars can rarely be choosers.

Stunt, consider the environmental impact of driving an older car to the ground. The lease cars don't go into landfill after the few years, they get pushed to the used car market or sold to fleets with less funds. But if you get a new car every three-four years, it's going to have better fuel economy, less emissions and generally better accessory levels as more and more of the 'luxury' features sink down to lower trim levels.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tinkercad site thing apparently decided not to save the completed C Clip design I'd made, even though I saw it regularly pop up 'autosaving' messages. When I open the project, the finished design is not there, just the basic shapes I'd added before assembling them. 

I've still got the STL file I exported last night, but if I import that again it comes in as a single sold shape so I can't edit the individual parts in case I need to alter any sizes. 

So I'll have to rebuild it and then try to figure out what's wrong with the save feature. I can't find a manual save button anywhere, it just 'saves' every now and then but seemingly doesn't *keep* those updates...

Annoying.

So I'm on the train home from a buddy's birthday party.

Somehow a brand spanking new train partially funded by the EU takes twice the time to travel the other way while a rickety refurbished old POS needed 2,5 hours to get me there in the first place.

Not to mention, the surroundings look like Tarkov.

So, rough day of airsoft today.  Weather *suitcase* as expected, had issues with folks shrugging off hits I positively identified, and various other frustrations (RPK still would not feed, bizon just would not run at all, pull off multiple flanks just for games to end or rules to change).  Then to top it all off my car's rear right window just magically slides down middrive home with a horrible noise and now will not move at all, so there goes whatever tax refund I was going to get this year.  Almost makes me feel like I was meant to spend my weekends at home playing video games only.

Archived