My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. It's also International Holocaust Memorial Day.

Over 17,000,000 people were killed by the Nazi regime in their genocidal quest for 'Aryan Purity', over six million of those were Jews, but also a great many gypsies, slavs, homosexuals and generally anyone the Nazis didn't like were rounded up and exterminated on an industrial scale.

I'm already sick to the back teeth of the misinformation and downright ignorance I have seen in the media, especially on social media, regarding it...

If your semi handy, the window can be a cheap fix if you take the door card off and have a look. You should be able to rig it so it stays up and doesn't open again very cheaply if you aren't bothered about it opening.

If you do want it fixed though, take it somewhere. I spent 15+ hours last year trying to rewrire and fix my BMW window mech. Absolute pain of a job which ended with me going to a garage with a carrier bag of bits.

As much as I would be fine with just having the window up permanently, the folks think otherwise so it is off at some friend of my father who lives deep in the countryside to take a shot at it.

Why it could not happen in the summertime instead of now only Murphy knows.

Physical pain wise, having to pull multiple pallets today after my legs already shot from yesterday makes me a more sore lad.

I am back into bike training.
I am doing 5 sessions a week.  I am no longer a "young" man and my body is not happy.

My back hurts, my legs hurt, I can't feel the lower three fingers on my left hand.

It'll be worth it eventually.

Also, my DnD character has been going through some trauma recently.

*fruitcage* *suitcase*.

I just got feedback from Brussels regarding work stuff, and it turns out that somehow I was able to get three kinds of wrong results using pretty much the same set of IT tools.

Don't ask me how it's possible, because I don't rightly *fruitcage* know.

Just occurred to me to check on the broadband situation at the new address. Virginmedia doesn't cover it, so can't get the fastest broadband available.

Not sure what the best option will be, but no one else offers speeds over 70mbps whereas Virgin offer upto 300.

Just another thing to be unhappy about with this move.

Well, I can't afford 300, but I was on the 200 package.

Since the wife isn't well, we can't go out much. We watch a lot of shows on streaming, and often she'll be watching something while I'm on the xbox in the other room, so it can bottleneck on slower connections.

It's more that it's not available if I do want it than whether I need it or not.

I've got 350.
I get actual 385 most of the time.

It isn't just download, I can upload 20 which is pretty good, when you are hammering the internet I find my uploads to be the problem.

Streaming 1440p or 1080p at 60fps at double speed can tap out the WiFi in my laptop but my hard wired things always work well.

The other day I got a call from Virgin who were trying to up-sell me.

"You can have more channels, more free calls and another box and whatever". 

"Nope, just want the internet.  Don't watch TV, don't call people."

"That can't be right, let me look at your usage statistics and - dang.  OK have a nice day."

Fair enough. I'm on a 38 meg package.

Right now I'm watching YouTube on an iPad, flicking around on my phone and sometimes watching YouTube on that too, the boy is watching Netflix on the TV, and my wife is upstairs on her computer and playing Spotify on her phone.

No issues with that. No waiting or buffering.

Just saying 🙂

If a product or service is invented before you are 18 it is the most natural thing in the world and may as well have existed forever.

Between 18 and 35 and it is the cool new tech and you absolutely have to have it.

35 to 65 use it if you have to, look stupid doing so.  I liked my nephew's clip on TikTok but everybody responded with Egg-plant emojis, what does that mean?

65+?  What was wrong with the good old days? This is needlessly complicated, why can't I just watch it on TV? What do you mean I can't call them that?  There are only 2 genders, no son of mine....

The key is to have the iron hot.
Put a very light coating of solder on the iron (tinning).

Tin the deans connector.  I like to do the sideways one first since it is harder to access.  To hold it in place I use a heavy pair of pliers with an elastic band around the handles.
Tin the end of the wires.

Place the wire on the tinned deans tab and press down on the wire, not the tab with the iron.
As the solder on the wire melts it will melt the solder tinned onto the deans.  Melted solder seems to conduct heat better that solid solder.

Make sure you are still holding the wire in the right place and remove the heat.
Hold until the solder cools and goes dull.

That should do it.

If you elect to get one, the little "handyman" vice stands with the alligator clip hands tend to help out immensely, at least for me.  I will be the first to say I am not that good at soldering myself, but with time I've become confident enough to be able to do it regularly.  I will also say a side effect of learning to do it is that now you will want to rewire all the things (such as me planning on rewiring my bizon tommorow for GATE NANOASR mosfet instead of its current inline mosfet system that taking up too much space).

Archived