My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Don't agree with religion, think its wrong, thats all good. But please, don't be offensive towards it

+1

Can people try to understand this please. If you believe that religion is wrong and that science has pretty much worked it out. You'll probably get angry if someone tells you that you're wrong and that you should be following a reasonably strict set of rules you think are made up. In the same way that people who think the other way round get angry if you go and tell them they're wrong and then explain to them it's because you're they're "ignorant".

It's not religion that causes fights, it's differences of opinion.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irreligion? <_<

As a former teacher, I consider correcting the misguided to be a worthwhile goal. Whether it's a failure to grasp maths, an inability to use correct English or trouble with fundamental universal truths..... it's all the same to me.

Irreligion? <_<

As a former teacher, I consider correcting the misguided to be a worthwhile goal. Whether it's a failure to grasp maths, an inability to use correct English or trouble with fundamental universal truths..... it's all the same to me.

Do you have a problem with that word? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion

Anyway. Correct the misguided, yes. But, if it's not doing you any harm to allow people to practice their religions in peace, why disturb and rile them? Especially, as an intelligent man, I'm sure you can recognise that calling them ignorant isn't going to make them realise that maybe they're wrong. It's probably just going to strengthen their beliefs.

"He's a naughty little boy", no wait, that’s Brian, poor old Brian.

You know what, why has no-one made a zombie movie where Jesus is the first zombie, or has there been a book? Also I thought the old adage was, "those who can't, teach" I say that to my wife all the time, well ###### her off (She's a deputy head).

You know what has always puzzled me, how on Most Haunted they always want an evil spirit/ghost to contact them or push them about. How about a nice ghost/spirit, Jimi Hendrix for instance, now that would be something worth tuning in for. ;)

Edit: - Just to be sure here, the adage comment is a joke, okay; don't go all armageddon on me.

That's a tongue twister, "those who can't teach, teach teaching".

Anyone else freaked out by that Alton Towers advert where the kid gets wrapped up by tree branches for the new ride 13? I mean, wouldn't it be just as frieghtening if it was a woman, why a kid, I reckon the actress that is in the advert wouldn't be able to go on the ride, so it makes even less sense.

BTW - "I" is India, NOT Indigo!!!!! :angry2:

& Uniform, not unicorn, delta, not dildo etc. :D

It's just a regional difference & makes no difference to the fact that you can successfully identify the letter. ;)

Did you know that in BSL (British Sign Language) there are over ten regional different 'signs', for the number 10? Now that's confusing. :D

So here's my rant for a new week:

Current lack of personal responsibility in the 'no win, no fee' UK.

If you trip or fall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, open your *fruitcage* eyes!

It's reducing a formerly proud & determined race into a country full of timid bureaucrats.

The other day, I was witnessed climbing over a 7 foot fence & told it 'looked scary',,,,,,,,,,,, by a member of the London Fire Brigade!

I was livid, saying it couldn't have looked that scary, 'cos he waited until I'd finished', rather than stepping in. I also put forward that I though these guise were made of stiffer stuff, rescue heroes afraid of nothing? He actually agreed, blaming the current H&S culture for robbing him of his chance to do anything remotely risky or heroic. He pointed out, how sad it was, that folk were dying, who could be rescued & a few years back would have been. But now, if there is the slightest risk, they have to leave them to die, rather than getting stuck in!

For god's sake, if I chose to do something that endangers nothing but me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let me do it! 'Cos guess what? When I fail, unlike the rest of this crazy society,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll be blaming ME! Not trying yo make a quick buck off someone else. :angry:

Greg.

Don't agree with religion, think its wrong, thats all good. But please, don't be offensive.

One of the great points about freedom of conscience is that you can believe what you like but have no right not to have that belief offended. It's as much my right to say that religion is a load of old fairy tales as it is for a priest to say that I will burn in hell for my disbelief. The part that riles me is when the religious find an expression of non-belief to be offensive (e.g. various athiest bus adverts).

Society should ultimately be secular, I recognise people have irrational beliefs but that shouldn't be given undue prominence, religion should stay where it belongs in the personal sphere.

Ethics and critical thinking should be taught in schools much earlier than they currently are.

Er, you are allowed to.

Agreed, you are allowed to. & I'm one of the first to point it out.

However, what is happening is a sort of 'fear', driven by current legislation & successful court cases.

This means that the 'freedom' you have eventually becomes limited, as less 'facilities' are able to economically fulfill the bureaucracy to allow THEM, to take a risk.

For example, Capel Manor college, USED to include ariel cutting with a chainsaw, in the fast track arb course but now,,,,, no way. Nothing has changed in the dangers involved, they just cant 'risk it' any more, because 'these days', someone might have an accident & sue them. The likelihood of an accident occurring has reduced due to better practices & equipment. However, the perception that the college could be shut down following such an incident, has increased to the point that they dare not take a chance. :(

Sure, I'm free to climb a fence but there is a misconception that this is a 'dangerous activity'. That could cause mahem, without adequate protective equipment, risk assessment & a quick legal check to see if everything is ok! :angry:

This perception & culture, combined with the effect it is having on society on a whole, is what I ranting about.

& another thing Have cabury cream eggs got smaller, 'cos I thought they used to be way bigger. :(

Greg.

Alison Hume, 44, lay injured 60 feet down a mineshaft outside her home in Galston, Ayrshire, Scotland, calling for help. Firefighters were there, but "health and safety rules" prevented them from rescuing her. According to fire department regulations, their equipment is only to be used to rescue themselves, not members of the public, an inquest heard. Fire officials say all 18 firefighters at the scene had the training needed to rescue the mother of two, but a memo from the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue chiefs forbade them from performing such rescues. After six hours a specialized team of "mountain rescue experts" brought Hume up, but she died on the way to the surface.

Edit: Greg - dude, type slower.... Your last post is totally infested with SPaG errors...

One of the great points about freedom of conscience is that you can believe what you like but have no right not to have that belief offended. It's as much my right to say that religion is a load of old fairy tales as it is for a priest to say that I will burn in hell for my disbelief. The part that riles me is when the religious find an expression of non-belief to be offensive (e.g. various athiest bus adverts).

None of which recognises the requirement for simple politeness.

.... which IS a requirement on this forum.

Edit: Greg - dude, type slower.... Your last post is totally infested with SPaG errors...

I'm ranting man, leave me to it! :o

& stop riling me up with posts that ad fuel to my already raging fire.AAAAAGH!

Greg.

PS: What's an SPaG error? :D

Applying any rules in a stupid manner is, well... stupid. Health and Safety legislation is important but unfortunately seems to fall down to the most officious person available some of the time.

That case in particular sparked changes:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Firefighters...mmon.6149249.jp

Applying any rules in a stupid manner is, well... stupid. Health and Safety legislation is important but unfortunately seems to fall down to the most officious person available some of the time.

That case in particular sparked changes:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Firefighters...mmon.6149249.jp

Agreed. I'm well versed in most of the current H&S(AT WORK) & related EU legislation. I have to be, it's key to my business.

Apart from the WaHR stuff about ladders, it's all sound stuff.

It's not the legislation I'm on about. As previously stated, it's the gridlocked 'fear culture' that we are currently facing, where Health & Safety is used or blamed to hinder any activity that is perceived as anything other than 'normal' behavior.

It's just rubbish. People are deliberately looking for pot holes & dragging this country right down them. :angry:

Can anyone have a Road Traffic Incident (remember when it was R.T.Accident?) without having a solicitor try to convince them their neck hurts or they have lost hair & sleep due to P.T.S!??

Come on, once upon a time, you were happy to get your car patched up & got on with it. Now, you are convinced that you are owed something for nothing. Worse still, you then feel hard done by when insurance premiums rise to cover the ever increasing spiral of claims costs.

Greg.

My solicitor didn't get me anything for PTS. <_<

But I actually *did* have fairly serious whiplash, had to have over a week off work, miss a TA training weekend, reschedule a camping trip with my (then) girlfriend, had to have my desk and work ergonomically redesigned when I went back (not that it shouldn't have been ergonomically designed in the first place, but what are you gonna do?)

And I still only got two grand.

SPaG is a teaching term. Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

EDIT: And yes, Creme Eggs appear to have got smaller in the past 15 years or so.

You are right. I'm not proud that my English is poo. I use spell check but it isn't perfect. What can I do?

I'm all growed up, try my hardest but just can't get to grips with it. It is improving with practice.

It is fair to say, that if I spend extra time re reading & editing my posts they get better. You will notice that I am king of the after thought & rarely have an 'un edited' post. :D

In full rant mode, where I'm seeing red & smoke comes off the key board, I just don't stand a chance of pumping out anything intelligible. :(

Greg.

Archived