My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Also breaking someones rib is a well known way of telling you are doing CPR right!

Not sure I agree with that. Doing it 'right', is obviously doing it hard enough, in the right place, to artificially pump enough oxygenated blood around the system to sustain life. If a rib breaks as a consequence of this, so be it. But breaking ribs are not a sign of correctly applied cpr. Not that you needed to be told that, you were just applying a little, sarcastic, first aider humor weren't you? :D

What this boils down to is the lesser of two evils, broken ribs over death.

The fact that someone has recovered from this situation & CHOSEN to make a quick buck out of it, is a tragic glimpse into how disgusting a human being can CHOSE to be.

I am sure there are some folk who will read this, thinking that it is perfectly reasonable to take every opportunity possible, to improve ones financial situation. With regard insurance payouts, you are of course choosing to improve your financial situation, at the expense of others, who are contributing to the fund that you are taking from. Understand, that every payout, results in premium increases, to cover the costs. Some folk face the frustration, that despite the fact they never made a claim in 10 years, the premium has gone up, yet again, like it does, every year! This is because the insurance industry had to pay out more last year, than the year before & thus predicts the upward trend will continue. Believe it or not, if claimants were more responsible about how & when they claimed, premiums WOULD go down.

If anything, claims & the amount spent on pay outs, SHOULD be going down. With improved safety equipment & practices, the sorts of things that traditional insurance policies cover, are now, way less likely to happen. However, the society I am moaning about, is responsible for driving premiums up, by choosing to agree with those around them, encouraging the, 'I'm entitled' attitude, thus raising the bill, for everyone, who is contributing to an insurance fund.

Greg.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:whistling:

In a stroke of irony I burnt my hand on our works hot water boiler today. Mind you it was my fault as I was on the phone at the time.

greg - You're right I was a bit hasty typing that this morning I did mean it was pretty normal to break a rib during CPR.

In regards to compensation etc - there was a guy on here who was in the process of applying to be in the Army, but at work he was in the stock room or whatever and the bulb was blown (I think, this was ages ago) and he tripped on some box that his boss had left out, which damaged his leg to the extent that his chance of being in the army where pretty much nil. I can't remember if he ended up sueing his boss but I think there is definatly a place for compensation lawyers, its a shame that people exploit it.

:whistling:

In a stroke of irony I burnt my hand on our works hot water boiler today. Mind you it was my fault as I was on the phone at the time.

greg - You're right I was a bit hasty typing that this morning I did mean it was pretty normal to break a rib during CPR.

Get on the phone mate, that there burn is a potential gold mine. <_<

& you are also right, ribs do break during cpr. Better you bust a rib, than fail to deliver enough pressure.

It should be noted that this is all about preserving LIFE, a busted rib is nothing compared to a funeral. & Yes, there is then the added possibility of complications, that could come from that busted rib; punctured lung, severed artery etc. But again, life has been preserved. You can work on a live patient, you can only bury or burn a dead one.

Greg.

Greg, Im with you on the get rich quick lawyers. Everyone these days seem to think that theyre owed something for nothing.

I've had a few knocks on bikes in my time. Feb 07 I was bowled off the FZR1000 when a woman pulled out on me. I bruised my leg but (praise Yamaha!) the tilt sensor stopped the engine so it didnt thrash my leg. Got it written off in 08 when another woman pulled out on me (seems to be a pattern...). The bike took the blow, I was bumped up but only claimed for the bike and a new helmet.

Now, I get waves of injury compensation scum calling up about them, asking if I want to claim. I can tell them "Take my number off your lists, I am not interested in enriching carpet-bagging litigation crocodiles" as much as I like, but they keep on coming. Now I dont even answer if my phone shows UNKNOWN or WITHHELD.

If I am injured, I will decide whether or not I claim. I dont need prompting.

I think there is definatly a place for compensation lawyers, its a shame that people exploit it.

If I am injured, I will decide whether or not I claim. I dont need prompting.

Frankly I'd ban all cold calling full stop.

This is a first. :huh:

Agreed to all! :D

Greg.

Well yeah, Im on telephone and mailing preference services. But the scum-**** who hire Indian call centres dont give a damn.

Same here, but I still get cold calls from indian call centres and Royal Mail still deliver general unaddressed junk mail by the box load because they have contracts to do it.

I got a classy one when I was on BATUK, kept the guy going for about five minutes before he looked at my number on the screen and saw that the call extension was for Kenya. Cost me about thirty pence, probably cost his company the best part of a tenner.

Cold callers really ###### me off.

If you had something I genuinely wanted or needed, I would be calling you.

Yup.

The thing is, it must work. If not, they would all be out of business & we wouldn't be plagued by these calls.

So, although I'm inclined to send my scorn the way of the cold caller, it's actually the fault of anyone that buys their products.

If you know anyone that has ever bought something from a cold call,,,,,,,,,,,,, kill them will ya. Problem solved. ;)

Greg.

The best one is when they ask: "Am I speaking to Mr. Spawton?". The answer "You called me, don't you know?" seems to flumox them.

My usual defence against these twonks is to cut them off in mid-*suitcase* and claim I work in whatever business they're selling from. If E-on call about their boiler insurance, I tell them I'm a plumber. If a moblie network call me, I work for O2 (actually, my wife does). Either that or, if I'm busy doing something fiddly (which seems to be whenever they call), I scream "*fruitcage* off" down the phone like a mad man :lol:

I caught the postman putting junk through my letterbox the other day, opened the door and gave him it back. He then posted it back through the door, so I put it back the other way. He got the message, picked it up and went on his way :D

if I'm busy doing something fiddly (which seems to be whenever they call), I scream "*fruitcage* off" down the phone like a mad man :lol:

I think we've all done that once or twice.

I used to very politely tell them that I was on the call exclusion register, so if they would be kind enough to give me the company details, I'd could report them & their company would get a £10,000 fine. If they were still on the phone after that, I'd suggest they worked for a more reputable company, that checked the register before calling, as this was a legal requirement. Complying to that legal requirement meant no fines & the likelyhood of better job security.

I tend to ask them for their company details, including a telephone number. This throws them well off, as that ain't part of the script. When they fail to provide it after about the 3rd time of asking I warn them that the swearing will begin in 3 seconds. They usually ring off.

I hate those dialling computers they use.

Dials 5 numbers, then connects to whoever picks up first and disconnects the rest.

They make me rage.

I always wondered what that was.

I figured it was an x or something.

I had my comeuppance the other day, after a recorded message from the Barclay's Fraud department rang about 3 days on the trot. Each time, I hung up. On the 4th day they canceled my card. :unsure:

So I rang them asking why & of course they said they had attempted to contact me to clarify some irregular purchases. When they failed to get through, they thought it prudent to cancel.

The 'irregular purchases', were AA renewal, a service & mot & a new set of tires. Well done Barclay's, perhaps if you had bothered to employ a person to ring, you could have saved me a load of hassle!

More penis! :(

Greg.

I've been getting a few doorstep salesmen recently.

And they're *SO* rude....

I open the door, they don't say hello, introduce themselves, say what they're doing, they just start in...

Had one yesterday - doorbell rings about 1000 hours. I'm in bed, being unemployed, so I put on a dressing gown and run downstairs thinking it's the postman with a package. I open the door there's some scruffy-looking unshaven bloke there. I go "Yes, can I help you?"

He says, "Is this your house?"

I'm immediately ###### off by his tone, "What's that got to do with you? Who are you anyway?"

He looks a bit surprised that I'd ask who he is. He fumbles about with this ID badge on a chain around his neck until it's actually facing the right way, and says "Southern Electric, mate."

I'm nonplussed, "Okay, what do you want?" I decide to let the "mate" thing go.

He again seems surprised to be questioned about what he is doing on my doorstep - obviously interupting his pre-planned patter wasn't good for him. "Door to door sales," he says.

I reply, "Goodbye then." and start to close the door.

The last thing I hear is a half-muttered "What's wrong with you?" from him, but I decide to ignore it, not wanting to waste more time blasting him for being a rude, scruffy timewaster.

Greg...I just entered this thread from the bottom, scrolled up... and the last sentence you posted was the first one I read... O.o

I dont mind the door salesman, but I do ask for details I can check online rather than talk to them. If they cant or wont provide, door closes.

What annoys me the most is religous pamphlets coming through. I dont go round their houses and post political pamphlets...

Who, really, in this day and age, would actually buy something from their doorstep? Much less from a cold-call telesalesperson.

But some people must do, otherwise these people would be a thing of the past.

So if only everyone in the country - indeed the western world - would just tell them to get lost, even if they actually *want* the product, then we'd all be better off.

If *I* want to buy anything, change suppliers, or anything else, I certain don't sit hoping for the phone or doorbell to ring, eagerly anticipating that someone will just turn up to solve my issue.

It's the same thing as spam, volume produces sales. Who would buy anything from spam advertising? Not very many people at all as it stands but it's worth billions of dollars a year. When it becomes too expensive to do door to door sales it'll switch to telesales. ;)

I've been getting a few doorstep salesmen recently.

Had one yesterday etc

I'm normally pleasant with them but never give any data. Why should I ever (phone included) confirm anything to a stranger. I love the way they always start with 'hello, is that Mr. X ?'. I always reply 'who is this speaking, what is your business & personal address & telephone number please?', inevitably they just ask the same question, 'Is that Mr X?', so I do the same another 2 times & then give the 3 second abuse warning.

Why should I confirm the name of the occupant, or ANY details?

Oo, I can feel a rant coming on,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think my spg(? :huh: ) stuff is about to plummet! :unsure: Fuvck 'em. *fruitcage* 'em *fruitcage* 'em *fruitcage*'em!

1, Greg...I just entered this thread from the bottom, scrolled up... and the last sentence you posted was the first one I read... O.o

2, What annoys me the most is religious pamphlets coming through. I dont go round their houses and post political pamphlets...

1, :rofl:

2, All the adpoop is annoying but I love the god squad in person. Genuinely the sweetest folk you will ever meet. I find myself in awe of them & thus retain a polite & curious respect. I feel that they need to be doing someone, somewhere, some good & tell them to go & do it, rather than wasting their time with me. ;)

Who, really, in this day and age, would actually buy something from their doorstep? Much less from a cold-call telesalesperson.

But some people must do, otherwise these people would be a thing of the past.

So if only everyone in the country - indeed the western world - would just tell them to get lost, even if they actually *want* the product, then we'd all be better off.

If *I* want to buy anything, change suppliers, or anything else, I certain don't sit hoping for the phone or doorbell to ring, eagerly anticipating that someone will just turn up to solve my issue.

As said in post 2192, if you know someone who has actually made a purchase due to a cold call, kill them. Get to the root of this particular problem, teach the ad folk, that cold calling is not good.

Greg.

You'd think that "not very many people" would be "no one at all" considering how much everyone moans about such things.

Indeedy, it is pretty close to zero (something like 30 attempts to purchase out of 350 million e-mails in one piece of research IIRC) but if people weren't getting rich off the back of it then you wouldn't be getting it! :)

Edit: Quick google:

http://www.tgdaily.com/trendwatch-features...te-spam-revenue

I find it staggering that even 30 people out of 350 million would actually try to buy a product from a spammer...

I bet those people are just as vocal as anyone else about how annoying spam emails are.

*Shakes head*

There really is little hope for society...

*fruitcage* PARCELFORCE.

My PPSH has been held up in customs for three weeks, it was released on the 20th to Parcelfarce. They then charged me £40 to deliver it, and have consistently failed to do so for the last 8 days, claiming that they've not been able to get to my door. Probably because they never ring the *fruitcage* doorbell.

ASGDSHGSFDHGFDSFGSADGDSA

Archived