My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you ride a motorbike, you ride defensively. You treat other road users like total butt-holes that are out to kill you. In a strange twist of choice (not fate here), I also drive a Reliant 3-wheeler. I've found that other road users suddenly become even bigger butt-holes! I've found that some other road users take it as an attack on their personal pride to be overtaken by one, or to drive behind one. The times that other cars have pulled out in front of me or have overtaken me and cut me up are without number. My fave was from about 10 years ago.

I was on the M5 heading towards Bristol. I overtook a small string of cars who were in the middle lane (I was roughly doing 80MPH). One car was a BMW. I pulled back into the middle lane and settled back to 70MPH. That BMW then whizzed passed me like I was stood still. Butt-hole!

I hate cars and if I can avoid it, I will never ever own one again. I hate cars and, when they are behind the wheel, I hate almost everyone who sits in the driving seat. I wont call them drivers because the VAST majority aren't.

Once theyre out of the car, theyre fine. In it... GRR.

rant is, when someone has learner plates on, and is going up the road quite slowly (still learning), the only other car on the road, signaling and leaving loads of room for you to go past and you dont, you really cant complain when i take my time to get through the barrier. who the *fruitcage* do you think you are and who re you impressing when you honk at me? terribly sorry if i delayed you by, at most, 20 seconds.

Once you've passed & been driving for a while, you'll understand. :D

haha, yeah, well lets hope i dont become one of them.

Agreed, give it a try, see how long you last. ;)

I hate cars and if I can avoid it, I will never ever own one again. I hate cars

It's not true Guzz, you just haven't found one you like yet. :D BTW, the WR250X is really working for me, it weighs next to nothing, does a million, million, million mpg, over 100mph (although anything over 75 is nuts-crazy-windy), corners better than a full blown racer at sub 70mph, turns plenty of heads & stomps off road. After over 25 years of biking, including racing & riding classics like the TZR, YZF & R1, this bike is the most fun I've had since my first RD! Like you & your 'Haitian', I finally have to admit that small is better. I never thought the day would come when my only bike weighed less than the average 125, had less than 130bhp (100 less in this case :o), or less than 1000cc! But that day has arrived: I like it so much, I flogged the CB1000R!!!!! Sure, 'mileating' is now out of the question but I gave that up about 10 years back on a 170mph+, 10 hour race, home from Amsterdam, when it rained non-stop & I swore never again. So, long live the WR! ;)

The problem is that the vast majority of people forget that they too, were a learner once and buy into the whole thing about learners being ###### drivers.

If you can remember that you were a learner once too and give them a bit more patience, you won't turn into one of those drivers.

I've found that the majority of ###### drivers don't have L Plates, they've passed their test then promptly decided they didn't need to learn anymore.

Once you learn to pass your test, then you learn to drive. And if you have a brain between your ears that works, you NEVER stop learning.

The problem is that the vast majority of people forget that they too, were a learner once and buy into the whole thing about learners being ###### drivers.

If you can remember that you were a learner once too and give them a bit more patience, you won't turn into one of those drivers.

I've found that the majority of ###### drivers don't have L Plates, they've passed their test then promptly decided they didn't need to learn anymore.

Once you learn to pass your test, then you learn to drive. And if you have a brain between your ears that works, you NEVER stop learning.

I used to be both an instructor & a model of driving excellence.

Now I've given all that up & drive like a *Ubar*. Same as everyone else. I got fed up with being the only paladin in a world of scum. I guess the difference is, most folk are blissfully unaware that they are *suitcase* drivers, where as I'm perfectly equipped to point out all of my driving faux-pass. :o

Once upon a time, folk took pride in their driving & bad driving was the exception. Now, it's an every man for himself situation & 'good driving' is rare as rocking horse *suitcase*.

If I can single out one particular gripe, it's the lack of indication. Folk are so lazy, they can't even be arsed to stick their finger out & flick that little leaver. At this point, I think they should remove indicators from vehicles, as having them on a vehicle is both pointless & ambiguous. :(

Greg.

As a bus driver, my big issue is LANE DISCIPLINE.

You straightline a roundabout when I'm on your right turning to the right, where the **** am I supposed to go?

I'd so like to punt all the little *albartrotheth* off the road, but that'd just get me a bad rep with my employers.

Seek out the Dara o Brian sketch about driving as a learner. He got too stressed out learning when he was younger, so only learnt to drive a couple of years ago. Back when he was younger, when he stalled and someone honked him at lights, he would go to pieces. Now, as a thirtysomething, 6 foot 5 irish man mountain he just gets out of the car and goes and asks them what their problem is. Usually they clam up extremely quickly.

If I can single out one particular gripe, it's the lack of indication. Folk are so lazy, they can't even be arsed to stick their finger out & flick that little leaver. At this point, I think they should remove indicators from vehicles, as having them on a vehicle is both pointless & ambiguous. :(

Greg.

Around here people have no problem sticking their finger out, but it's not to make a turn...

:P

Definitely have to agree though. It's especially annoying when I'm trying to make a left turn and the far lane is clear, but the near lane has one car that ends up making a turn down my road anyhow without signaling therefore wasting my time waiting for him to pass.

I hate the way, when ever I hear Robert Palmers "Addicted to Love" I want a KFC. Its on BBC Radio 2 right now and all I can think about is that greasy chicken.

I like how on a roundabout people will just pull out in front of you, for which you have to slam on to avoid a colission, and they just raise their hand as if to say sorry and that will make everything alright. I wasn't driving (Don't have a license as I don't trust myself to drive, as I know I would become a *suitcase* driver due to all the knob heads around me/you) and so I gave the man driving, a few of my choice words, that are reserved for such incidents when children are not in ear shot.

Modern solder is complete ######. Mind you, my B&Q soldering iron is about to get smashed up because that is a load of junk too.

All I want to do is re-solder the +ve wire on my RX4 and everything appears to be conspiring against me. This *suitcase* they call solder these days just rolls into little goddamn balls instead of sticking to the job.

Yeh I had too look about to find good solder. My thesis supervisor gave me a roll of good stuff when I explained my problem to him though :).

What wattage is your iron? people say 20w will do, but I find I use at least 35w just so it heats things up quick. I got to use a really great one at uni with temperature control to the degree

today was my second day driving (first day really driving properly), and we found a nice bit of road that is really wide, has a roundabout at one end and a sort of triangular junction at the other, meaning i can turn back round at each end and go up and down the road. its not a residential road, so im not bothering anyone in their houses. perfect place to learn really. only "problem" is there is a 7' barrier about 3 quarters of the way along. no biggie really as its good to ger used to tight spaces.

Hunts Slip Road? I'll keep well clear!!! That's a really wide road.

My solder rolls into balls but only under the following 2 conditions:

1 stuff not hot enough, solution, get a better soldering iron.

2 not enough (or any) flux on the items being soldered, solution, either better solder or get better at soldering.

I clamp the component in a set of needle nose pliers to protect it from the heat, put a small blob of solder on the iron then hold the blob onto the component.

The little blob makes a better thermal coupling and heats the component better, I then tease the component with solder so it gets a decent quantity of flux on it.

Do that with both components then hold them together with the needle nose pliers and re-melt the solder, boom! joined.

I do a lot less soldering now that I have only gas guns but I did build a digger-sized buzz wire the other day.

Fun...

My internet has recently decided that it will only download so much of a file and then it will stop. And it's not consistent. It can download something as large as a couple of megabytes without a hiccup. Or it will only download a couple of kilobytes of that file and stop. Dead. Consequently, I cannot up-date my anti-virus software and I cannot watch anything on The Escapist (and I have to re-load a page a half-dozen times or more to get things like Pimp-My-Gun to work).

Ending my last rant... the problem was a mix between a poor solder iron (30w in the end, and it was probably not even getting hot enough at that) and bad solder. I only had rosin core and silver solder, neither of which were much kop. I have a better iron and lead solder now :)

---

New rant:

Women who think because they are women, men can't answer back to them.

I'm in Iceland with 3 items at the checkout, theres a woman in front of me with a little girl in her trolley. This old woman comes up, pushes her trolley between the one in front and me, and its pushing against the girls legs. So I say, calmly but sharply "Mind her, and mind me", at which point her daughter (in her 40s, maybe 50s) opens up. Tells me to show respect, and shut my mouth. I ask her where her respect for me is, she replies "Why should I show you respect?". I pretty much give up when she starts swearing (I didn't swear once).

So I pay, collect my stuff and turn to her. She glares at me. I simply tell her not to start again, and that if she had raised one hand, I WOULD have taken her down.

Now I am about the most happy go lucky, respectful person one could ever meet - anyone who has met me would attest to this. I don't believe in men hitting women. But as far as I'm concerned, as soon as anyone, man or woman, tries to belittle me or verbally abuse me, the contest is equal.

I'm annoyed at myself for lowering myself to threaten someone, least of all a woman. There are some circumstances however where gender or age becomes immaterial.

So yeah, women deserve rights, but that ends the moment they consider themselves superior.

Well, yeah there's a bit of that in there. I go there not because I'm cheap but because I cant stand Tescos.

Just vented some anger on some door preachers :D I tell them I'm an atheist, never read the bible, my parents didnt have me and my sister baptised. This is because one was catholic and the other was protestant and it caused problems in the family.

He carried on burbling, so I said "Conversation ends here" and shut the door. When someone says 'no' you should walk away!

So yeah, 'christiantards' (that is, christians who think everyone should think the way they do) are also a rant of the day. I have respect for anyone of any belief but not when they try to enforce it on others.

So yeah, 'christiantards' (that is, christians who think everyone should think the way they do) are also a rant of the day. I have respect for anyone of any belief but not when they try to enforce it on others.

+1 You're not going to persuade an Atheist to become a Christian by standing in their door way wasting their time.

I hate people who stop you in the middle of the stree to talk to you about ending poverty or donating some money to some other high-minded charity.

The other day, I had one girl try to stop me, so I shook my head. Now, bearing in mind she's wearing a t-shirt with POVERTY written in big letters on the back, and the name of some charity on the front, so her next words sorta made me facepalm.

"Oh come on, you don't even know wha I'm about to say."

Um, yes I do. So I say so.

"Yes I do and I don't agree."

That completely threw her and she just stood there behind me like she'd been slapped in the face. Eventually she managed to call out "Why?"

"Human nature."

Wasn't bothered by any others the rest of the day...

Archived