My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in that cue (M6 Forton Services heading towards blackpool, is where me and the missus caught up with the cue at 2.35pm), and was thinkng, how come they always (The ones that either get talked out of it or get scared and don't go through with it) want to commit suicide in a very public place?

Answer:- Cry for help.

And then I thought, I don't mind waiting 1 hour and 30 minutes (Roughly), if it means saving a life/lives. Though there is the dark side of me hoping they would have jumped, so that they couldn't attempt it again (Thats me being selfish).

I love how people try to leave a big gap between them and the car infront, so they don't have to keep stop starting. A white transit van left enough space for two lorries and a car to creep into, which they did.

I love how people try to leave a big gap between them and the car infront, so they don't have to keep stop starting. A white transit van left enough space for two lorries and a car to creep into, which they did.

Good driving that, smooth out the traffic, people behind are less stressed, overall it speeds everything up.

Police marksmen should be standing by on bridges to shoot people who needlessly drive into your braking space.

Tricky one this:

If a guy came up to me and said "I am going to die unless you wait here and do nothing for 2 hours" I'd wait.

However, I think all people who cause by action or by omission of action thousands of people to be inconvenienced need some form of punishment.

Held up an entire motorway because you were too lazy to check the tyre pressures on your damn caravan?

Driving license revoked - permanently.

Bridge jumper?

Mental illness that (depression counts), not the same thing.

They're mentally ill. Somebodys child, mother or father is contemplating killing themselves and you;re worried about getting somewhere late?

If they were going to kill themselves, they'd either have jumped straight off the bridge instead of waiting for a horde of police to turn up and try to stop them, or - better yet - stayed at home with a length of elecrical wire, an overhead beam and a stool where they're not causing trouble for the general public. :waggle:

But you need to understand how I operate - I don't know the person involved, so I don't give a *suitcase*. Someone "threatening" to jump off a bridge, I don't care. People in Pakistan having problems with floods? Couldn't give a damn. 5-year-old girl in India has to walk 2 miles to get dirty water to cook and wash and look after her 2 year old brother? Hey, India's got a government, how is it MY problem? I'm stuck in traffic for hours on end? That ###### me off.

As for the whole suicide thing - well, I can tell you what the muzzle of a rifle tastes like, so I probably know a thing or two about how these folks might be feeling. But bringing the entire North West to a standstill isn't going to make anything better, now, is it? You want to end it all, fine, but there's no need to be selfish about it...

I'd rather see those poor people rehabilated, then "punished"

I'd rather not see them at all. Or hear about them. Or be in any way involved, much less inconvenienced by them.

Bridge jumper?

Mental illness that (depression counts), not the same thing.

I'd rather see those poor people rehabilated, then "punished"

Just in case it's not clear, we are saying the same thing.

Having suicidal thoughts is easy and a hell of a lot more common than most people think.

Going through with it is another matter.

If your biggest problem is the belief that nobody cares then getting all that attention is going to ba a big attraction.

You can't apply rational judgement to irrational acts.

However there needs to be much harsher punishment for those extreme antisocial motorway terrorists - caravan owners.

Never had a problem with caravan owners (Well, as of yet). I do have a problem with people slowing down to see the remains of an accident on the motorway. And I don't think its good driving (It was pissing people off leaving that big of a gap. Two car length is a big enough gap to leave, not ten car lengths!) leaving a gap big enough for an articulated lorry to fill (In this case two), just so you can cruise for a bit, though still have to stop like everyone else did. It didn't get the traffic flowing quicker, as the traffic behind him ended up getting into the lane my wife was driving in, and getting around him. After that, he stopped leaving such a big gap.

The driving on the M6, at times, was very slow, then a stand still. Boring as hell.

Yeah, there is a limit.

Generally speaking though you should look as far ahead as possible on the motorway and lift off to gently slow down for problems ahead.

If you break you know the tool behind you won't notice because he is busy doing a soduku and he will break harder, the guy behind him will break even harder...

Ten cars behind you some chump will have to stop.

Gawkers on the other side of the road from a crash should be shot too.

And people who cruise along in the middle lane with no cars in the inside lane.

Motorway driving should be the easiest to get right and yet nobody does.

I don't get it, within 50 miles on a motorway I am usually a seething mass of rage.

I think there should be some compulsory motorway driving involved in the in the driving test curriculum. Atleast people who can't work it out for themselves would have someone to tell them then. I also think there should be mandatory driving test retakes ever 5-10 years or so. People seem to forget what mirrors are as soon as they pass their tests.

I also think there should be mandatory driving test retakes ever 5-10 years or so.

I'll vote for you.

I also think there should be less points and more fines for speeding and that instead of cameras there should be more cops on the road.

Police officers have judgement, cameras do not.

Police officers can nail people for driving like a berk, cameras can't.

Police officers on traffic can also help out with other things.

It should be much easier for them to issue tickets too.

5 minutes and your done sort of thing.

I'll vote for you.

I also think there should be less points and more fines for speeding and that instead of cameras there should be more cops on the road.

Police officers have judgement, cameras do not.

Police officers can nail people for driving like a berk, cameras can't.

Police officers on traffic can also help out with other things.

It should be much easier for them to issue tickets too.

5 minutes and your done sort of thing.

Never mind voting for him, you get my vote.

On the tickets thing, they should be more like US 'citations' rather than our endless fixed penalties, which require the same information to be written twice, on both sides, and then all that information to be repeated 10 times over should they not pay the ticket.........

Great use of time

I hate those muppets who sit in the fast and middle lanes just pottering along not overtaking anyone.

One of my pet hates.

The only lane you should routinely stay in is the left hand lane. Other lanes are for specific purposes and should be used for those only.

Another pet hate:

Nowhere in the highway code or the Road Traffic act are any lanes on a dual carrageway or motorway designated a Fast Lane. They do not exist in the UK. The outer lanes may be populated with fast moving traffic, but just because you can go fast, doesn't mean you should use these lanes. Or drive fast.

Maps on the otherhand may show Fastlane, but that's in Scotland and a very different thing.

Have fun in scotland, if you don't like rain, then I hope it doesn't rain for you. I like rain, think I'm the only person I know of, who does.

New rant:- Post man alledgedly knocked at 10.12am (To delivery a parcel that needed a signature), but he mustn't have knocked, as I was up and sitting in the dinning room. This is the 3rd parcel in succession that they have left a note (saying they tried to knock). The wierd thing is Parcel Force actually does knock (Can't miss them as they are always in a big transit van), but the post office man in a van, never bothers.

ive had the same problem postman says he knocked even though he hasnt been stood next to the door before when he tried walking off after posting a note through letter box. also postman once delivered my bills to my house but then posted a note through the house across the road for my parcel saying no one was in with there adress on it. i waited one weeks to get my parcel so went down local sorting office to find out what he had done and it had been sat there for one weeks in sorting office didnt even check my id to say who i was so the people across the road could have had my satnav.

Wisdom teeth. I've felt real wise at 4am each morning this week grabbing my face and scrabbling for painkillers.

And upon seeing a dentist about it "take these for a week to get rid of the infection, and we'll see how it looks then. Chances are it'll sort itself out"...

... "But i can see some cavities here, here, here, and a big one here. That'll be about £500 to sort"

FFFFUUUUUUUU

Meat. I am for the last several months and likely the remainder of my natural life a pescatarian (No meat except fish / seafood). As in the stereotypical psychological breakdown, it's all my mother's fault. She cannot for some ungodly reason digest certain proteins found in meat. Apparently it's hereditary and progresses with age. For my first 17 or so years of life, I could enjoy delicious meat products. Around 17, meat starts causing some unsettledness in my stomach. I don't care, I eat away, suffering through reactions I'm quite sure Arnies is the better for not knowing.

Several months ago, I, with the help of some wonderful doctors and a procedure I was hoping to wait another 20 or so years to have, discover that the stress my body has been under from forced digestion of meat has caused a (such a wonderful term) "fissure" in my intestine.

Ok, no more meat. Now, to be completely honest, I am for the most part, enjoying my new diet. I must be more conscious of what I eat, and have been feeling much more healthy of late. However, now and again, I'll be at a friends / family member's house and someone has prepared a delicious looking spaghetti sauce which I must politely turn down.

There also arises the occasion (only one so far) when I accidentally ingest meat. Say I've ordered some cheap and overseasoned dumplings which i thought were "vegetarian". Now say my friend i was with also ordered dumplings of the "non-veg" variety. Say I take the wrong bucket and don't realize (due to the ridiculous overseasoning)until perhaps the fourth dumpling. Uh-oh. Yep, as might be expected, not only can I not digest meat, but my system has been unexposed for several months, making for a most particularly uncomfortable and intimate experience with the nearest porcelain Sir Thomas. Thanks mom. /rant

Drug addicts who earn your trust, then lie and steal from you. :no:

"You can't make these choices for me. I'm the one who has to make the decisions for myself." - Shall I just keep watching you dig yourself deeper into hole then?

Don't mean to rant about addicts really, but it sure is difficult to know how to deal with people who are at war with themselves.:argue:

Archived