My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah good old UK laws.

Maybe they should take a leaf out of The Netherlands book, accept prostitution exists but at least let them do it in a brothel so they are with other people and a lot safer then just walking the back streets in very dodgy cities.

'FireKnife'

Of course it doesn't but I am more asking why not make it safer as you are never going to stop it in the UK.

Like many other things, you are never going to stop people drinking, so instead make it safe and define the grounds of what is legal and what isn't. Look at Prohibition, it lead to illegal activities and immense problems due to alcohol, when it went back to being legal, the businesses dried up and people started to move back towards normal lives. Do the same for prostitution, you can't stop it so why not make it safer for all involved?

That should be my rant, why does the Government try to make laws that aren't going to work when by looking the other way a bit they can actually make it safer for the people that have no choice about doing a profession.

'FireKnife'

I think it comes down to the fact of taxation !! if the government can't supply it or control it ( basically milk money out of it) it becomes/ stays illegal .

Same with cannabis and petrol . You can make your own , and they know that so they don't have control , so easier to make it illegal

Every big prosecution on prostitution has been a tax / unpaid income prosecution !!!

how can they collect tax from a court case if it's an illegal goods / services prosecution in the first place ???

Pot and kettle comes to mind !!!!

Well if they did this:

Make it legal and only available in a set establishment that the women or men that prostitute themselves out must conduct their business.

Make it so that each transaction takes a tax cut.

At the end of a set period of time that is paid in to the Government like tax from any other business.

Finally you could also generate jobs for people such as cleaning and security.

Yes it is not the most wholesome of practicises but it is better than spending the excessive amounts on the police force when a prostitute turns up dead somewhere, money which comes from the tax payer.

'FireKnife'

A how do they monitor how many customers someone has in a cash transaction mainly business . + the government then has to do health / HIV checks and the ones that fail , mainly drug users would still do what they are doing now

Sleeping with a man for their next drug hit !!!

Endless cycle !!

That is like asking 'does every single person that goes to get their hair cut go down on the books' or does every 'small purchase made at a scrap yard / garage is noted on the books'. At the end of the day you will still get people that try to fiddle them, but if they have a representative or use 'undercover customers' then they can find out for themselves.

The Government already offers free NHS STI and other checks to those that work in the adult industry, along with certificates to certify that they are clean so why not extend that to those working in brothels if they became available. Again it has worked in other places so why not here?

As for drug users, well what about those children that buy booze from adults, those people that buy drugs from dealers? They are still going to do it too, what I am trying to point out is it will be safer for those that don't have a choice but to work in such a profession, people will always do the illegal thing but those that want to be safer in what they do should be, we have safety laws for everything else, so why not ones to help those doing the oldest profession in humankind?

'FireKnife'

They did try a trial run a coupla years back on an industrial estate which collapsed after neighbours , schools , police, etc deemed that it was unworkable due to the undesirables that started to frequent the area and put children , women etc at risk . With men hanging around

It's not that it's impossible it's the fact that it would destroy property values in the area it's put in .

Would you want one in your street with all the traffic it brings , with men ringing yours or a neighbours doorbell if they got the address wrong , or your kids being accosted by guys hanging around the area !!

Bit like a nuclear plant or airport !! No one wants one built near them

In london it is now more of an illegal immigrant / sex trafficking problem so no one informs the police or they get deported

The majority of legal prostitutes don't walk the streets anymore usually working from rented rooms with a maid / nanny sitting next door / outside

Most of the streetwalkers get picked up v quickly by the police and forwarded to social services / help agency's

This is ridiculous. Instead of getting a position of my own, I'll be working as a substitute for yet another woman on maternity leave. Third one. Over, for *fruitcage*'s sake, FOUR GODDAMN YEARS.

Is this *suitcase* even legal? Seriously. I mean, seriously. I can't get a job, but my former boss, who retired not even three months ago, got a part-time position as an "education consultant" with the same damn institution he just retired from. I don't get it. I mean, I really don't. This is bull######.

welcome to the labour market :P

Stop being honest and fair, if you're honest and fair it'll take ages to get anywhere, it's taken me 5 years to land a permanent position on contract in my sector, moved 3 times and even swapped countries to get there. If I'd lied and been ruthless I probably could of slid in somewhere years ago :P

Depends if you live alone or are alone at home as to whether that is an issue :P.

Though mine was getting up extra early to get to work, turn on the shower, makes a noise but no water, so I go back about 5 mins later and try again, nothing. So finally about 15 mins later I try again, huzzah it works, but makes me about 20 mins late for work in the process which means I wont be leaving until 20 mins later from work, meaning I will have to shift a meeting later on back by 15mins, that is if I can. So the fact my shower didn't work might cost me something good, too bad you can't blame faults like that on the landlord as they won't care :P

'FireKnife'

The system drive in my desktop took a spectacular *suitcase*. Of course, that had to come up at 10PM, and I spent three hours (and a half) in futile attempts to fix it (BCD is dead? Revive BCD. Windows launches, demands a CHKDSK. CHKDSK runs... kills BCD double-dead.). I am so totally ###### off it's not even funny.

Also, the database system at work has been shut down for transition to a new one. Oh well, at least I managed to recover the second season of Leverage from my desktop before it completely died.

Don't ever run CHKDSK if you don't need to, same as you should never use the inbuilt Defragger and Cleaner, they will delete stuff you need as Windows makes bad assumptions all the time.

When you say system drive, do you mean that Windows is corrupt / missing files?

'FireKnife'

My current annoyance:

Just went running to the bathroom busting for a *suitcase* only for the bulb to blow so now I have to either sit in the dark or leave to door open a bit

Obviously leave the door open and share the goodness.

Also, add extra grunts and whimpers :)

you should never use the inbuilt Defragger and Cleaner, they will delete stuff you need as Windows makes bad assumptions all the time.

Do you have a source for this? I know there are better defraggers out there in terms of speed, configuration. But I've never heard of a problem of it deleting wrong stuff.

The inbuilt one has a habit of deleting the other fragment, the one that should actually be kept, then when it clears the temporary folders with other programs it deletes the other fragment too.

It is rare but it does happen, this is why I use Defraggler, never ever had that issue with it. :P

Though I have had Windows Defragmenter delete stuff in the System folder, stuff that when checked it shouldn't be doing, though that may be something else causing that.

'FireKnife'

Do you have a source for this? I know there are better defraggers out there in terms of speed, configuration. But I've never heard of a problem of it deleting wrong stuff.

Before I went to Afghanistan, I copied a bunch of videos to my laptop from my desktop. Films and the like, TV series, stuff I wasn't going to be able to get out there.

My laptop decided to run Chkdsk on the drive the next time I booted it up, for some reason, and I wasn't in time to stop it. It deleted over 40 Gb of videoes. Why? Who knows? They were playing fine when I tested them the day before.

So yeah, those programs are a giant pain in the *albartroth* and any time your PC asks you if you want to scan a drive that you've not backed up, you say NO!

Though I have had Windows Defragmenter delete stuff in the System folder, stuff that when checked it shouldn't be doing, though that may be something else causing that.

Sounds like a PEBCAK error to me.

Go to Windows components, remove them and then go to Piriform, install the private use, no support versions of Defraggler and CCleaner and just make sure to uncheck the auto updates and Google Chrome / Toolbar boxes and then run them once a week for the CCleaner, once a month or two for the Defraggler.

Never, ever had an issue with either of those programs, unlike the Windows ones, they have not been that bad, but the Piriform ones are perfect.

Sounds like a PEBCAK error to me.

Nope, it was a Windows one, it had issues in one of the updates to it. So off it went and it got replaced with other stuff. ;)

'FireKnife'

The system drive in my desktop took a spectacular *suitcase*. Of course, that had to come up at 10PM, and I spent three hours (and a half) in futile attempts to fix it (BCD is dead? Revive BCD. Windows launches, demands a CHKDSK. CHKDSK runs... kills BCD double-dead.). I am so totally ###### off it's not even funny.

Also, the database system at work has been shut down for transition to a new one. Oh well, at least I managed to recover the second season of Leverage from my desktop before it completely died.

Do you regularly use your PC for games?

If not, may I recommend Ubuntu 12.04, it is free, stable and easy to use.

And it has never gone wrong on any of the computers I use.

It even has built in drivers for things that windows 7 does not.

I love it.

Also, if you are older tech it will improve your speed too.

Archived