My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's how it works:

Woman: "I want to watch X-factor"

Man: "Good luck with that, I'm going into one of the other rooms in the house to play Borderlands 2."

Mine:

Woman: I want to watch X-Factor.

Man: I want a threesome with you and that hot girl you work with.

Both: Silence.

Woman: What else is on.

It is so much better when you can work against their little fobles and such :P

'FireKnife'

FK, I hesitate to do this but it seems your verbal vocabulary has improved significantly recently and those new words are making it into your posts.

The problem being that having (I assume) only heard them you do not know how to spell them.

It's foibles.

I feel like I have been doing that a lot recently (with some very choice words) but I like you so please don't take it the wrong way.

FK, I hesitate to do this but it seems your verbal vocabulary has improved significantly recently and those new words are making it into your posts.

The problem being that having (I assume) only heard them you do not know how to spell them.

It's foibles.

I feel like I have been doing that a lot recently (with some very choice words) but I like you so please don't take it the wrong way.

Don't worry, I know it is foibles, just I dropped a key and didn't think anyone would worry that much. :P

Oddly my verbal vocabulary is about the same as my writing one and I often that I feel that if I finished a post as I would a conversation with some people they wouldn't know what I meant.

In order for the public to understand you have to speak like the public ;)

(This is not me saying I am better than any of you, with one or two exceptions, more saying that I have a strange way of speaking that isn't easy to grasp first time round).

Though in this case dropped a key and couldn't be bothered to edit.

'FireKnife'

It's actually nice to have intelligent people with a good command of the english language on a forum !

I know what fireknife means with his comment on dumbing down as sometimes I have to do the same thing to be understood . I take it that we are of the older generation then ??

interesting, although one would pertain that it is the breadth of education, both formal and personal, rather than age that defines the extent of a persons vocabulary,

I'm sure you could find a literary genius barely into his or her teens, and equally a 45 year old without the faintest idea of what a pronoun is.

I'd like to think i have a large and varied vocabulary, however i'm never entirely sure the difference between a noun, pronoun, proper noun, etc etc etc.

Mainly because I don't *need* to know it for my day to day job.

Much more important is knowing the part numbers for the 55H3 recall, sorry, 'Product Enhancement' on the new shape Seat Ibizas. (000 010 006, N 101 747 01, and 811 807 577C, for those that want to know) and the numbers, locations and rough stock levels of the most popular parts in my department.

And knowing that our parts catalogue is frequently hilarious in its translations, having been translated from the 'base' language (either Spanish for seat, or Czech for Skoda) into German, and then into English.

As such, you end up with cylinder head stretch bolts being called 'chees head bolts' and oil breathers being called 'oil separotor'...

Honest. It's funny.

I'm constantly paranoid that my vocabulary is shrinking due to spending so long around muppets. :(

Also, I too have no idea on what nouns, pronouns etc are.

This is how I was taught it:

Noun: A general name or assigned word to something that tells you what it is, e.g. boat, car, dog.

Pronoun: Got given two very conflicting answers so not really sure at all.

Proper noun: A name that is specific to someone or something, like a company name or a person's given names.

Gonna wager that I've actually been on these forums for a lot longer than you, sir. ;)

But I haven't been banned and had to come back then get my other profiles banned as I kept telling people who I was :P

'FireKnife'

A cheese head bolt is a type of bolt, typically with a cylindrical head (not countersunk) and a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

I imagine that if they are cheese head stretch bolts they probably have a torx head?

If they had a normal hex head they wouldn't be cheese head...

A noun is a thing.

A proper noun is a thing that gets a capital letter like Wednesday or Apple but not apple (to keep the doctor away).

A Pronoun is a thing that replaces a noun in a sentence so instead of saying Dave's car you would say his car.

His is the pronoun. Note that even possessive pronouns do not get an apostrophe.

Other pronouns are: our, your, it etc..

Because its (the possessive pronoun) doesn't need an apostrophe and it's (the contraction of it is) does it's one of the leading causes of apostrophe mistakes.

An adjective (which used to be called an adnoun) is a modifier for a noun. The smelly dog farted. Smelly is the adjective.

A verb is something you do, it can usually be identified by seeing if "to" fits if front of it. in the above sentence farted is a verb in the past tense.

An adverb modifies a verb. The smelly dog farted loudly. An Adverb often ends in "ly" but not always. Similarly, not all words ending in "ly" are adverbs.

A preposition describes where a thing is like above or below but can also describe where things are is a more esoteric sense.

People who use nouns as verbs should be fed into a wood chipper, feet first.

Examples of the above infraction are:

I am lunching with the ladies.

and

We must dialogue.

Any questions please, hesitate to ask.

I often find myself immersed in the language of the classic writers such as Austin and Poe to absorb the writing style and vocabulary, as well as the subtlety and implication of the way it is used.

For Stunt; here is a link that should bring tears to your eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17777556

Also, for all the English language boffins out there, here is a grammatical question I've yet to find an answer to:

In the case of a sentence starting with a contracted slang word, that is preceded with an apostrophe. Is it capitalised?

Example,

" 'cause I wanted too! "

Both with and without quotations, although with would be more grammatically correct as you shouldn't use contracted slang in writing.

Arnies is teh skoolz on Internet innit.

Dat it is bruv, dat it is.

Damn those people annoy the *suitcase* out of me, yes they actually annoy me so much I would rather hear Matthew Broderick say the line 'That's a lot of fish' a million times than listen to the scum that inhabits this fair isle :P

'FireKnife'

A Pronoun is a thing that replaces a noun in a sentence so instead of saying Dave's car you would say his car.

His is the pronoun. Note that even possessive pronouns do not get an apostrophe.

Other pronouns are: our, your, it etc..

An adjective (which used to be called an adnoun) is a modifier for a noun. The smelly dog farted. Smelly is the adjective.

Slight modification here.

Pronouns stand in place of nouns. Mimesis types this sentence. I type this sentence. Dave drives his car. He drives his car.

Pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they

Possessive adjective are attached to nouns to indicate some kind of connection.

Possessive adjectives: My, your, his, her, its, our, your, their

Possession with nouns is indicated with the apostrophe: Dave's car.

People make a false extrapolation and apply it to its; easiest thing to remember is that no one writes hi's.

As already mentioned, it's is a shortened form of it is.

Next time: demonstrative adjectives and pronouns (they're always hugging and crying).

Archived