My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

And while we are at it lets sort out the traffic issues, immigration, council thievery, riots and marches that occur in this country.

Sadly we are a country with just too many issues to sort but lets face it things could be a lot worse. We just lack the true determination to do anything about it. People moan about the Government we have but instead of throwing them out we just say 'ah wait til the next election' and then vote in a party that is no better.

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of French history, don't like it then go change it, by force of the people if you have to.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is high time that the laws for guns / knife crime are enforced to their maximum sentencing levels .if it means disrupting kids/ adults life's by searching them so be it innocent people may face some inconvenience but I think that is preferable to another death . . At the moment using / carrying a knife does not gain you a significant sentence, or not significant enough to deter their use by today's youths .

Oh, but of course! You know who's going to get their houses searched, "guns" confiscated and lives ruined first?

Hint: not the criminals. That would be too hard for the police to do. Instead they would go after law-abiding airsofters, because they don't resist and are plentiful despite all bans, regulations and other nonfunctional BS pushed by the government. And then the cops will have the guts to toot their horn about their "statistics" and how they're "protecting" the general stupid public, while MAG themselves joyful.

Knifes are becoming the norm for our kids nowadays , gun crime is a seperate issue .

Yes both are gang / criminal related but the higher figures of injury / death are coming from the knife related crimes ,

I have even had to deter my kids from wanting to carry them in the misguided self defence perspective kids seem to have nowadays ,

Something needs to change and fairly drastically to solve this expanding problem . Gang culture amplifies the problem 100 fold . With kids becoming territorial with the ever expanding new immigrant gang/ crime problems adding to the fire .

It does amuse me when people say that carrying knives is a routine habit for children these days - like that's new, or a bad thing.

In my Father's childhood days, *EVERYONE* carried a pocketknife or a Swiss-Army-style multi-tool thing. They were handy for whittling sticks, cutting string, getting stones out of horses' hooves and all manner of things. Did any children consider stabbing each other with these knives they all had? No. If people had a fight, they punched, kicked, rolled around on the floor and that was the end of it, despite all involved having a knife in their coat. Why? Because they had sense and discipline and education. Knives were tools, not weapons to them.

Today, knives and guns and things are demonised, banned from pretty much any walk of life and so people don't see them as useful tools that are safe to use with care, they only see them as evil weapons that are too dangerous to touch...

And look what happens - more stabbings and shootings than ever before. They keep trying to ban more and more things, but it never improves things...

When I said knives are the norm , I meant as in knife attacks , not carrying them for a positive use , times change , as has society . To me a knife is a cowards weopon , a way to intimidate or injure a person that you don't have the skills or strength to fight against . Nowadays its hard to find a young man or woman who hasn't been affected or know someone in their circle of friends who has been affected by knife crime .

Banning an object is not the answer , reeducation and punishment ( if the punishment was severe enough ) is one tool to deter people from using them .though not the answer to everything. . It will take a few heavy public examples being made to slam home the point to people , maybe then people would fear being caught with a knife without good reason .

The point is that carrying a knife isn't a bad thing - in the past almost everyone routinely carried knives and few of them stabbed people. A return to this kind of attitude through positive education and responsibility would be a better way of lowering violent crime while at the same time improving society in general.

Too many people in today's world never take responsibility for anything - if they're fat, they sue McDonald's, if they trip over in the street, they sue the council, etc. etc. It's all part of the general decline in society we've seen over the last fifty years or so...

Have been knifed before. Hurt like buggery, wouldn't wish it on anyone and it wasn't even that severe.

Have also stopped myself from getting mugged because I happened to have a knife (was carrying a machete to a mates house to help her with her gardening in exchange for food and beer, you know, the standard agreement)

I absolutely do not think people should carry them though.

I've carried a knife every day since I was 9.

I've never stabbed anybody.

It's mankind's most primitive and versatile tool and I use it constantly.

I have been stabbed and bottled and beaten and shot at (pooed pants) and never stabbed anyone.

The problem is that there is no way to legally define a responsible adult and the irresponsible ones shouldn't even be allowed spoons let alone knives.

Also, when complaining that Britain sucks and that we should rise up and take the power etc. please try to remember that Britain is awesome and a better place to live than (almost) everywhere else.

Sure we have problems but they are mostly 1st world problems (funny that).

Carry a knife* is legal.

Carrying anything with the sole reason of self defence or hurting somebody is ilegal. 

*any knife is legal without 'valid cause' in public places provided the blade length is under 3" and it doesn't lock in place once opened. Most knives for religious or national dress knives (Kirpans, Sghian Dubh's etc) are legal provided they're appropriate - e.g. sghian dubh is legal provided you're wearing a kilt. if you're just walking down the street then no.

Most other knives are legal** provided you have 'valid cause' - eg if you're going camping in the woods and you have a tent, sleeping bag, etc etc etc, then you'd probably be able to justify a nice fixed blade, small saw or machete or so.

** anything over 3" blade length and non locking, or anything that locks, or any fixed blade is all down to the officers discretion if/when you get stopped. 

Some knives are NEVER legal - Balisongs, gravity knives, push knives, 'stealth' knives etc will NEVER be legal in ANY circumstance.*** 

***with some exceptions like antiques and stuff like that.

I don't get the issue with balisongs.  Does anyone know why they're so demonised? I used to think it was because someone at the BBFC had a thing against them and they suddenly found themselves in the no no category.  I have one just for fun but I would never pick it over something more practical like a locking folder.

Balisongs are banned because with a bit of practise, they're wicked fast. They're banned under the same law that bans automatic/flick/gravity knives. 

AFAIK they're fine within your own home, but even having one about your person out and about is a chargeable offence, due to it being an offensive weapon regardless of context.

Tinkerton is spot on with the legal situation here in blighty though.

Since stabbing people is illegal, there shouldn't really be a need for bans on knives, which are useful for many other things. In the same way as it's illegal to shoot people, so you don't need to ban guns.

When you think about it, I could have anything upto a nuclear warhead in my house, car or pocket without causing anyone any problem. It's when people decide to use these things on their fellow humans that there's an issue. 

Since stabbing people is illegal, there shouldn't really be a need for bans on knives, which are useful for many other things. In the same way as it's illegal to shoot people, so you don't need to ban guns.

When you think about it, I could have anything upto a nuclear warhead in my house, car or pocket without causing anyone any problem. It's when people decide to use these things on their fellow humans that there's an issue. 

As soon as you add human input you add potential for human stupidity. Coming from an IT based job this rings very true.

In the same argument I could kill someone with a laptop by smashing their head in and could cut up an apple to make it easier for a child to eat. But I am sure if I was seen with the knife in public it would be the one that raises issues.

Sadly though it could all go the other way and we end up with an American system of 'arm everyone to protect them from each other / themselves'. That is probably as stupid as the fear attitude we have now though.

'FireKnife'

It all comes down to a suitable deterent / sentence being put in place , it won't stop everyone , but it will deter most people from using one . Maybe a seperate hard work / rehab sentence similar to the dc of many years ago for knife users would take the glamour / respect away from any users . Hair was shaved as soon as you arrived

No visits , par family , had to be earned , no smoking , letters ( again ,had to be earned )

Shorter sentences , but much , much harder than normal prison . The short sharp shock it was called

Trouble is pc interferers will try to soften it all down nowadays .

Years ago dc was feared as a sentence and rightly so . It was all run by ex military , so the regime was close to 2 months of beasting .

If you didn't do as told your sentence was extended until you did .

Balisongs are banned because with a bit of practise, they're wicked fast. They're banned under the same law that bans automatic/flick/gravity knives. 

AFAIK they're fine within your own home, but even having one about your person out and about is a chargeable offence, due to it being an offensive weapon regardless of context.

Tinkerton is spot on with the legal situation here in blighty though.

Nope. Not even. 

they're fine in your home provided it was in your possession before the ban came in. Anything other than that and you're in very very hot legal water. 

Don't believe me? Try and order one, see what happens ;)

Also banning them by name isn't stupid.

They are capable of one handed opening which you want to cut down on.

There isn't a locking mechanism (while there is on some it is not a defining characteristic).

So without being specifically mentioned they would be allowed due to having no locking mechanism, obviously that is no good since they are as sturdy as a locking knife in use and can be quickly opened one-handed..

The reason they are specifically mentioned is their unique functionality.

It all comes down to a suitable deterent / sentence being put in place , it won't stop everyone , but it will deter most people from using one . Maybe a seperate hard work / rehab sentence similar to the dc of many years ago for knife users would take the glamour / respect away from any users . Hair was shaved as soon as you arrived

No visits , par family , had to be earned , no smoking , letters ( again ,had to be earned )

Shorter sentences , but much , much harder than normal prison . The short sharp shock it was called

Trouble is pc interferers will try to soften it all down nowadays .

Years ago dc was feared as a sentence and rightly so . It was all run by ex military , so the regime was close to 2 months of beasting .

If you didn't do as told your sentence was extended until you did .

This.

I think ALL prison should be like this. You're not sent to prison to have a good time, because you're a great person or anything like that. You're sent there because you're a criminal and need to be 1) locked away for the protection of society and/or 2) to be punished for your crimes.

So, basically, prison should be hard graft from dawn until dusk with food and medicine and nothing else. 

Archived