My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine by me. Sending in the troops won't solve it.

I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure...

@Scorch - same thing happened to me a few years back.  Turns out it was the best thing that could have happened.  They bumped everyone's pay, improved conditions and opened up many avenues for progression.  I am now earning double what I had before take-over.

Though it took me about 9 months to really see and appreciate what they were doing.

Fingers crossed.

The pay and working conditions could scarcely go down from how it is at the moment.

Fingers crossed.

The pay and working conditions could scarcely go down from how it is at the moment.

Just be glad you aren't Eastern European as you at least have rights to make sure it doesn't get that much worse.

Though I do hope things improve for you. Can't have halfway decent people in those situations, those 'bad times' are meant to be for the tossers only.

'FireKnife'

What on Earth are you making?

Played "XCOM Declassified"? I'm working on a backpack in the style of those from that game. Alien tech, glowy bits, that kind of stuff. But then I figured out, the contours made from 50mm PVC pipes and elbows were way too thick, and my design was unnecessarily monolithic. So I decided to rework everything, make it more of an assembly of parts instead.

Now I have to cut god knows how many squares out of PVC, then put them together, cut a hole in the middle and thread them on a pipe. Then come up with an idea how to make something vaguely engine-shaped and put the stack of squares on top of that. Oh. And install a small tank full of dishwashing liquid in the engine-shaped thing. Barrel of laughs, I tell ya.

Managed to have an attachment portion of a giant tractor implement (basically a rig to pick up driving range balls) slam down on my left hand and scrape the pointer finger.  The rust on the implement is probably older than me, and I can't quite remember my last Tetanus shot, so great...

Also, get to fail another exam tomorrow.

Blooming phone. I need to start writing out my post in the note app and then importing it into here. Strangely enough, in the note app, my phone is less likely to change what type (it changes 'for' to 'fir' for example and '*fruitcage*' to 'ducking').

Another one of my merry comments about the wonderful waste of time that is Royal Mail.

So I have been sending pistol back and forth for a while now and I hav followed the rules as they have set them down for such items.

However ever since I moved I have noticed that the only main issue is that the service round here is awful. Most items take twice and long to arrive as normal and one or two have been badly handled.

But now we come to the best bit. After declaring what my item is (a Glock 18C, declared as a replica firearm, plastic body with metal parts) and putting the UKARA number of the purchaser on the box I send them item out.

Five whole days later and no word from the buyer so I check the tracking system. It comes up as still 'accepted at our Dunfermline branch'. Check later at night and it is now 'under investigation'.

That leaves me in an annoying point as I have a buyer waiting for the item and now the chance that either this is going to taste ages or they are going to destroy it or both. Either way if they take longer than 2 days (a more than reasonable amount of time to open a box and have a look) I will be expecting some sort of apology given that I have done exactly what is required of me. This is just pathetic to be honest, five days to even get the item down as 'under investigation'.

'FireKnife'

I have a horrible suspicion that they are going to try and say it was dangerous gases. I would try and contact the branch asap and ask to speak to the person in charge. Hopefully, it's just some moron that can't read.

What gases? The teeny, tiny amount in the magazine that is barely able to get a shot of just so the seals are lubed?

But I will do, though by the sounds of it, it is 'in the system' so I will have to make a 'general enquiry'. Stupid bloody RM.

'FireKnife'

Do you mean the area or the actual house/flat that all seem to be *suitcase* holes?

Bit of both.

Have looked at immaculate houses where I'd likely as not get my bike stolen in a week, and looked at houses in lovely areas that look like they should be gutted.

EDIT: Also, I have just noticed I am getting old man attitude. Just walked into the break room for lunch, and immediately came back to my desk opting to have lunch later as the 2 lads from the warehouse and one of the sales girls are in there.

I'd rather not listen to bloody kids talking nonsense and using the phrase "bare good innit" when I'm trying to read my paper.

If is odd that a spay can is delivered without any fuss. Also, how can they check to see if a loop battery is in a secure box, without opening it up (to check the box is secure, as stated in their guidelines)? The rules are (a bit) open to interpretation if you ask me. It would also seem that parcel force have a different set of rules to what royal mail has. Bizzare.

Here's an odd one:

SCUBA cylinders on a plane.

They have to be empty with the valve off.

Why?

The thing can hold 300 Bar of pressure at sea level (i.e. there is 300 inside and 1 outside).

At altitude in a plance there is 0.8 Bar in the plane, a net shift of 0.2 Bar, the cylinder is having to work 0.06% harder to contain the air.

Sometimes they say you could fill it with poison but it's in the hold, it's not like you can get to it.

Sometimes they say they would rupture in a crash but if your plane hits the ground hard enough to rupture a SCUBA cylinder some leaking gas is going to be the least of your worries.

That used to annoy me until I saw an old guy on a plane breathing from a damn oxygen cylinder on the seat next to him.  It's the same damn thing!

Then I remembered teh plane's own emergency oxygen supply is stored in what basically amounts to SCUBA cylinders on board the plane.

Then I realised the airlines were just being *rickrolls*.

So some git decided to try and rob someone this morning in the town I live in, with a RIF.

I'm waiting for the backlash, I almost commented on the post on the stupid Spotted page that replicas have a legitimate purpose and I have several, but thought it wouldn't be the wisest idea. Unfortunately a few people here know I keep replicas, and one of them really doesn't like me at the moment, half expected her to stitch me up, despite not fitting the profile of the burglar.

Archived