My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fail hates everything.

Well everything except pictures of 14yr olds in school uniform.

They even contradict themselves at least once a year. Best being the 'disgust' they had at faked pictures of soldiers tourturing prisoners. Didn't stop them running the pictures they knew were fake, going on about a bit of 'just desserts' for the non-white people involved.

'FireKnife'

Pretty sure that was The Mirror... in anycase DM has great journalism shame about the editorial... and fwiw I think tasers should be treated like firearms

I am quite sure it was multiple papers that were in on that, however I do remember the Mirror being the worst, not the Daily Fail.

But either way I am sure the Daily Mail can always be relied upon to show us that idiotic people that will jump on any bandwagon exist, bit like now sacked memebers of UKIP and the clearly biased outcome of the phone hacking scandal.

'FireKnife'

and fwiw I think tasers should be treated like firearms

Really? I know what I'd rather be shot in the chest with...

Edit, aren't tasers section 5 anyway?

Edit 2, yep they are, so in the same class as pistols, semi auto rifles etc so they already are classed as firearms :)

Really? I know what I'd rather be shot in the chest with...

Edit, aren't tasers section 5 anyway?

Edit 2, yep they are, so in the same class as pistols, semi auto rifles etc so they already are classed as firearms :)

I meant in regards to police carrying them -specially trained officers only

Do you mean specially or 'special' because I wouldn't trust some of the police I have seen on days and nights out with anything and those were the ones often in line for such training options. :P

Though I do still think while we shouldn't have armed civilians we should have more armed police in certain areas that are properly trained. If it comes down to a scumbag murderer with a gun and a police officer I want the office to be trained enough to take said *albatross* out of the gene pool while being trained enough to do it cleanly, without issue and able to not have to defend himself when it is the clear course of action.

Too bad Robocop is a very expensive system :D.

'FireKnife'

Only trained officers can carry them. You can't just draw one out at the start of a shift. It's a course, and requal every year.

Also, I could do a lot more damage to someone with a telescopic metal baton than I could with a taser, yet no one questions why cops carry a *fruitcage* huge heavy steel bar solely designed to twat people with...

Also, I could do a lot more damage to someone with a telescopic metal baton than I could with a taser, yet no one questions why cops carry a *fruitcage* huge heavy steel bar solely designed to twat people with...

Bercause tasers are "scary".

To clarify further: I think tasers should be classified as lethal weapons. Truncheons can cause alot of injury indeed - but its the discretion of the officer which dictates that. So you can codge someone with it, or you could cave a head in. Whereas with a taser once the trigger has been pulled that is it - they have a heart attack or they don't. 

I don't find tasers "scary" per say - but as above, I consider them lethal weapons and should only be deployed as such. Boring I know...

To clarify further: I think tasers should be classified as lethal weapons. Truncheons can cause alot of injury indeed - but its the discretion of the officer which dictates that. So you can codge someone with it, or you could cave a head in. Whereas with a taser once the trigger has been pulled that is it - they have a heart attack or they don't. 

I don't find tasers "scary" per say - but as above, I consider them lethal weapons and should only be deployed as such. Boring I know...

I agree. There is a risk involved and you can't change your mind after you pull the trigger.

Truncheon use isn't up to discretion per se though. Cops are taught to strike as hard as they can, once, and then re-assess whether further, full strength strikes are needed.

Also, taser gives you range, especially in increasingly more common knife attacks. It gives the officer more option. A crazed lunatic can be dealt with faster instead of calling for taser backup, and said lunatic knifing several people during the wait.

They also make a great deterrent even if not used. 'red dotting' can make people compliant, even where baton or PAVA have failed :)

Edit, I don't find what you say boring, I enjoy the difference of opinion and seeing things from the other side :)

I agree. There is a risk involved and you can't change your mind after you pull the trigger.

There is a risk, but you've evaluated it beyond belief. You know you will be scrutinised to the nth degree and probably vilified by the public/press. The decision may even be made to not pull the trigger without you.

Once a taser officer is on scene, they can't just whip it out and electrocute every *beep* in the room, they still need authorisation to fire from up high :)

Truncheon use isn't up to discretion per se though. Cops are taught to strike as hard as they can, once, and then re-assess whether further, full strength strikes are needed.

Also, taser gives you range, especially in increasingly more common knife attacks. It gives the officer more option. A crazed lunatic can be dealt with faster instead of calling for taser backup, and said lunatic knifing several people during the wait.

They also make a great deterrent even if not used. 'red dotting' can make people compliant, even where baton or PAVA have failed :)

That's what I mean by discretion though. To take this as a recent example: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/oct/17/police-taser-blind-man-stick  - apply the training you described there to that situation and I think it would have turned out differently. As it happened the trigger was pulled, the bloke was juiced with 50,000 volts (remember that TV show with Nick Frost anyone!??) and there was no chance to reassess the situation until the damage had been done. Thankfully nobody was killed.

Having read the above whilst typing the same incident also demonstrates that a taser was used without authorization - although it was sometime ago so things may have changed. I'd also be interested to know if the 27 year old with the sword was arrested with or without the use of tasers :) 

I can't go into details, but that blind man in Chorley story is *badger*s. I know that sounds like a weak excuse from me, and apologise for that.

With the 27 year old, no idea. Most 'blade' jobs now are firearms team jobs.

Edit cos I didn't read it properly.

They are gun-shaped, therefore evil ;)

Like bananas.

<stuff>

per say

<things>

Homophone alert!

per se

It's Latin for "in itself"

Also, I think all police should have tazers and they should get a deduction in pay if they come back to the station at the end of the shift without having used it on someone.

Also, did you know: Taser is an acronym?  It stands for "Tom A Swift's Electric Rifle".

Awesome.

Actually, if various internet pedants are right, it is tazer if referring to the generic article or Taser if referring to a model made by or based on the original Taser.

However taser without the capital T is totally incorrect as the word to 'tase' apparently doesn't exist in proper English and we use the word that is assumed to be an American variation (tazer) due to Americans often replacing 's' with 'z' in such words.

So it would be to 'taze' or to use a 'Taser' depending on what you are talking about. Seeing as the invention of the Taser is relatively recent and is a thing that began in the US it is entirely possible the words associated with it are from standard 'American' English and thus would be taze with Taser as the proper noun.

And yes I did bother to look this up as I assumed it would be tase and not taze. In fact to call it 'tase' is to do the reverse of what normally happens in American English. For once it is taking the American spelling (which is usually to make it easier) and converting it back into an English standard. But for once it appears we are all meant to use the common verb 'taze' rather than 'tase', yet you can have a tazer or a Taser. Good old random English and it's American bastardisation.

'FireKnife'

Archived