My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a zero tolerance approach.  I'm sure a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we'll never hear about but there should be raids going on day in, day out wiping these *fruitcage*s out wherever they happen to be.  Make them afraid to announce they exist.

Agreed totally , look at the recent issue when an illegal Muslim protest blocked the Blackwall tunnel in rush hour and brought traffic to a standstill for a couple of hours . No media coverage . Only u tube footage !! And no police action whatsoever ever . Time for pussyfooting around has to stop ,

So, I've got car problems. Again.

Got an '06 focus 2 litre tdci. Had a new alternator and battery recently, and since then have had an intermittent emission warning light come on, but no issues.

Driving home last night I felt a loss of power, and have decided that it's the turbo not kicking in - it drives like a non turbo car, still accelerates, but there's not the punch of the turbo kicking in. Tried pootling around and also hard revving.

This morning I took it out again, and the turbo kicked in maybe twice on a half hour drive, and emission light is on constantly now.

I'm borrowing a diagnostic reader tonight to have a look, but does anyone have an idea?

Reading around, it could be a sticky EGR, Maybe a MAF sensor, DPF, or possibly a blocked oil feed to the turbo. Does that sound right?

Edit, it's done 72k.

Thanks in advance :)

Check all the rubber air and vacuum hoses for cracks and splits.

I had those symptoms from a 1.8 20vt engine and it was a split hose.

Thanks, will do.

I also hate 1.8t engines. My previous posts may state this. I had one in a passat with full dealer service history. The oil pump decided to die at 80mph.

I pretty much should never be allowed to buy a car. I always buy dogs...

Any idea what would be the cause of a Focus headlights continually blowing? My dad has had the bulbs go in his car go a bunch of times in the past few months. Mechanic looked at it and couldn't find the issue. Looks like it will have to go into Ford to diagnose. Probably be extortionate.

I missed this, sorry.

Sounds like an earth maybe, shorting out somewhere.

Also, run a volt meter on the battery. Should be around 14+ Volts due to the smart charge system :)

Bad earth , connection arcing out , or voltage regulater allowing overcharge .

Vw 18t engines are usually ultra reliable . As long as cam belt change , regular oil changes are carried out . 3000 miles on a turbo lump oil change .

The vw diesels are the usual problem makers with cracked manifolds being a major problem on them !!

Vw 18t engines are usually ultra reliable . As long as cam belt change , regular oil changes are carried out . 3000 miles on a turbo lump oil change .

Are you saying to change the oil every 3000 miles? Do you particularly enjoy pissing money away? do you also get your tyres changed when they've got 6mm of tread left, and open a new bottle of coke because the one you've got is now only 75% full?

Oils these days are 1: bloody good. 2: Fully synthetic. 3: BLOODY GOOD. As evidenced by the fact VWAG actually advise oil changes once every 18,000 miles in certain conditions (longlife/variable service regime. uses a combined oil quality/level sensor in the sump to asses oil quality. 18k miles/24 months is the maximum interval between oil changes.) Considering most vehicle manufacturers would prefer you get your car serviced more regularly because that's how they make money, this is a pretty clear indication that oils have changed quite a bit.

Changing your engine oil every 3000 miles may have been required back in the olden days (as you watched noah's arc sail pass and icarus flying above you and st george fighting a dragon) as 1: oil was back then; 2: oil wasn't multigrade back then (meaning you had to change oil grade to match the temperatures of the seasons); and 3: we just dug it out of the ground and stuck it in the engines (this is known as 'mineral oil' as it's oils from minerals, not made in a very scientific laboratory under careful scrutiny of scientists). 

The vw diesels are the usual problem makers with cracked manifolds being a major problem on them !!

...No. I've worked within VWAG for the past 8 years. I've come across literally less than 5 'cracked' manifolds. (including ones where the car's met a very solid object and broken many more engine components as well).

VWAG diesels had a problem a few years back when Bosch supplied a faulty batch of CR170 injectors (fixed for free under warranty) and there are a few issues surround EGR cooler/valves at the moment, but the manifold itself is simply a cast piece of steel. They've not changed much in well over 100 years of production. All the kinks and niggles definitely have been ironed out by now.

We have an All vw fleet of deisel vans on our company and several deisel golfs , out of 30 vehicles 11 have had manifold cracking problems .over the last 3 years . Vw try to deny the problem but have repaired the last 4 under warranty ,

Something to do with the dpf causing the cracking we have been informed by our local vw garage !/ supplier

Oil was changed every 6k in the passat, and it had full service history.

I got an oil pressure warning light on at 8070mph in the middle lane. By the time I had lobbed it onto the hard shoulder (ie immediately), the engine was making horrible dying noises...

I've heard they are good for 250,000 miles, and can get crazy power from them, but the forums I've read, they die far too easily too :(

When you get that light you've got to clutch down, ignition off and coast to safety.

It's not worth risking the engine to do it the other way.

Obviously, don't kill someone/be killed trying to do that.

Auto tiptronic box...

Edit, I thought putting auto boxes into neutral at high speed was a no-no?

Drove an auto in KSA, it was nice to not have gears to worry about with all the dangerous driving over there. I saw a fatal car crash pretty much every week, and less fatal crashes pretty much every day.

My pickup was auto too, I'd love another auto.

Nothing wrong with them.

I appreciate a manual when there's a place for them - sports car, whatever.

However, most cars are for commuting, and you don't need to be red lining and smashing through the cogs in your wife's 1 litre polo. It does not make it a racing car, nor turn you into nigel mansell :P

Nothing wrong with autos!

Better than revolvers ;).

But personally I prefer manuals as I have tried a couple of autos and the gear ratios never felt quite right. One had the option to impose a gear shift on it but then that felt like I may as well have just driven a manual. Plus automatic just means a couple more things to go wrong in some car models.

'FireKnife'

Archived