My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I'm not looking for praise by saying this, but the only qualifications I have are up to A level.

I've grown up watching my dad build a house from scratch, along with other family members who have done the same. I'm in the process of doing it myself now. I can do pretty much anything apart from plaster.

Again, heavy father influence, he taught me to drive when I was 11, and I was stripping engine components down not long after. Used to be able to strip down the carb on the mini I had for fun when I was 12. That experience grew, and while I would not like to, I could strip an engine down and rebuild it no problem now.

I spent 19 years on building sites and in our shop making and fitting ducting. I can turn a sheet of steel into most duct pieces using a guillotine, folder and maths. I ran teams of lads on sites and can read site drawings/blueprints, and can draw basic ones. I can work out resistances of duct, and tie that into pricing a whole design and build job from scratch with a fair degree of accuracy.

I can Heath Robinson things so they work, and think outside the box to address or change it long term too.

Again, not looking for praise or anything, but I consider myself an engineer and don't have any qualifications as such :)

See, now in my world, without a professional qualification I'd call that a master technician.

Same level of knowledge but earned through practical experience rather than formal education.

Ideally you need both.

However, my world is entirely black and white and very, very literal.

If you disagree with me you would in no way be in the minority.

See, now in my world, without a professional qualification I'd call that a master technician.

Same level of knowledge but earned through practical experience rather than formal education.

Ideally you need both.

However, my world is entirely black and white and very, very literal.

If you disagree with me you would in no way be in the minority.

I'll take that!

It's the first time I'd really thought about it. Normally it's just a job needs doing. Can I do it? Yes, then do it. No, then learn or ask someone to do it.

Meh, im happy and don't really care about titles :)

Kind of like when they asked Churchill to cut the arts budget during world war 2. His response was in the vain of 'whats the point in fighting then?'.

Some people can work and have no social life, that's fine (Free to do as you please). But not everyone wants to work all the time (past 50 hours a week say).

Of course, there are exemptions from this point of view (war and marriage).

Being expected to prioritise work over family / home life.

Same here. 

They're all giving me *suitcase* for declining to come in and help move to our new depot this weekend.

Because I really want to give up my weekend and do some back breaking manual labour for single time rate.

Both me and a colleague declined the offer of doing nights for a week and we're both told that picking overtime which suits us is out of order and we should pick those which help the site. Also that the rota will be changed so we all will do some night shifts. All because the supervisor didn't get the easy life he wanted and so has thrown his toys out of the pram

There's a big difference though between not being able to offer incentives (although a please or thank you would be nice) and simply throwing the kind of tantrum you would expect of a 13 year old girl who can't go see her favourite boy band

If I bought a title i'd finally have an excuse to buy a sword and get the family coat of arms tattoo.

Do you need an excuse?? I'm glad no one ever told me that lol the only excuse you need is that they are sharp and pointy and just like a knife, but bigger, oh and zombies there's always the chance of a Zombie outbreak! 

I might buy one of those decorative Lordship titles. 

If someone assumes a booking error has occurred and I get upgraded to 1st class on a plane just the once in my life because of it, it will have paid for itself.

Plus, I'd be a Lord.

Also, imagine the verbal bitchslapping you could give people. A telemarketer calls;

"Hi, can I speak to Mr X?"

"Lord"

"I'm sorry?"

"Lord X, not Mr."

Anything which puts telemarketers on the backfoot is a bonus.

We had a customer like that at my old garage. Interesting lady, to put it mildly.

"Hello, can I speak to Mrs. X please?"

"Lady."

"Sorry?"

"It's Lady X. Not Mrs. Lady."

"Oh, ok, sorry about that, Mr-LADY X..."

also, those bought titles aren't proper titles. They're like an extra first name, so you'd be Mr Lord Scorch.

Same as those plots of land on the moon/ Mars. It's just a gimmick, there's no legal right to any land that you buy (I seriously looked into buying some as an inheritance for any future children me and Mrs Tink have).

Being expected to prioritise work over family / home life. If people think I'm going to put a *suitcasey* dead end job I hate over spending time with my boy and other half then they're going to be disappointed

Family comes first. Always. Even extended/additional family, who aren't blood relatives. There are a handful of people that I have no biological relation to, and if they needed me to, I'd drop everything in a literal heartbeat and go to them. No questions asked. 

I think that applies to all managers/supervisors.   

But, to be fair, its not fun trying to organise people to do stuff that you want them to do, but they dont want to do.   Especially if you arent in a position to be able to offer incentives to do it.

As a newly titled Supervisor (new job yay) it's tricky. sometimes work needs doing that can't be completed in the standard work hours, what you gonna do?

Went out to my car this afternoon to do some bits and bobs, put a bolt in the steering tensioner to stop it squealing, reattach the chin spoiler, etc.

Turns out my drivers headlamp lens is smashed. Most likely a stone kicked up from a car ahead of me on the way home from work.

Damn.

Archived