My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your employer said 'here is a free/cost minimal mountain bike/skiing/paragliding/insert-gnarly-sport-here holiday, you'll be paid and you get to go away from work for a week' you'd jump on it right?

Why oh why am I cancelling these things because people don't want to go?!

Don't get me wrong, I like the sunshine. Kk I just like to be in a nice, air conditioned building whilst admiring it ha ha.

That's all good until you're stuck with a couple of muppets like my work colleagues who think the a/c works best with windows open

If your employer said 'here is a free/cost minimal mountain bike/skiing/paragliding/insert-gnarly-sport-here holiday, you'll be paid and you get to go away from work for a week' you'd jump on it right?

Why oh why am I cancelling these things because people don't want to go?!

Got any jobs going?

That's all good until you're stuck with a couple of muppets like my work colleagues who think the a/c works best with windows open

Ah yes, the old window open is best combined with a/c. Nope.

You're letting warm air in. That negates the cold air coming from the a/c. In thier eyes it must be best to leave the fridge door open so that it gets a breeze from outside to help with the 'cooling'.

Wheelbarrows

Absolute

Wheelbarrows

Edit:- so *wheelbarrow* and *tortilla chip* are okay to use? Weird. Swear word filter wouldn't pick up *wheelbarrow* or *tortilla chip* if an 's' was put infront of them . . .

The window is the tall type with the two-way opening so it can either open a little way from the bottom or all the way from the side. Either way, there is a large triangular gap at each side as well as the rectangular gap.

It's possible, but it would be tricky to block up, I think.

The only thing I can think of that would be effective would be to put a flat panel of something - ideally something transparent, like perspex - over the outside of the window, which would then have the hole for the exhaust hose.

The trick is, firstly, how to get such a sheet of plastic; secondly, how to secure it tight enough to stop breeze getting under it without damaging the window frame; and thirdly, how to do it without costing anything or taking ages.

I don't really know.

With the A/C unit on, it's a couple of degrees cooler than the other rooms, but I'm burning a tonne of electricity for minimal gain due to the open window.

Not currently - the bedroom is upstairs, for a start, so I'd need a VERY long hose, which would need to be VERY well insulated to avoid radiating heat into other rooms on the way and which would probably have a larger volume than the A/C's exhaust fans are designed to cope with.

I seriously considered bin bags and duct tape, but I don't think it's a great idea. It might even be halfway effective, but I don't want that on the front of my house. The wife definitely wouldn't like it.

Archived