My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the boy was gonna go but couldn't get transport, doesn't seem so bad he didn't.

I reckon I had about half an hour of decent gameplay all weekend.

My whole team were off, as were many others, so your lad was lucky he didn't spend a fortune for it to be wasted there...

That's funny because I tend to hear the NAE is typically not up to expectations.

Now this raises the issue of experiences and that we probably have to play them ourselves. I'm not doubting your experiences smook/scorch (in fact I read what you have to say and value it) but maybe there were a few scumbags who ruined it for a lot of people, as can be seen on standard walk on days.

I certainly look forward to trying a weekender, I imagine NAE would be quite relaxed if I had to duck out for a while because my fractured ankle is giving me grief but I imagine AI500 would be difficult as there's no real safe zone.

Good job my support bandage seems to be helping.

I haven't been to an AI500, but over the years it seems to have turned from a small niche event into a proper weekender. I don't think they had planned for the big influx and the difference of event. All the complaints are exactly the same though.

NAE, is in my opinion too big for its boots. 1500 people in the woods sounds great, but it isn't. Takes too long to walk anywhere to stop or start playing, and then it's just your standard game day. You'd save money by going to your local sites two days of the weekend!

I had pretty much the same experience at Ai500 as shmook... It just got too stale and nothing was being done about it. Even the Viper team leader was getting hacked off.

I think most of it boils down to the site though, there wasn't enough buildings open for game play so it was very much just a case finding a corner and shooting at another corner..

The marshals weren't helping either but I think it was a lack of research and planning that made it worse. Overall they seemed to be doing their best, or at least some of them did..

Still I had a good time with my mates and met some cracking blokes there, was just a shame about the gameplay really which is the main concern really!!

Can't wait for the full report, shook.

Just saw this (below link) and I'd love to get for the 'lol' kill(s):-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00VX9F5G6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1442826283&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=nerf+rival+zeus&dpPl=1&dpID=41HiRnPfEbL&ref=plSrch

Edit:- not at that price though. Wait till it hits Argos.

So, the AI500...

These are my views, others may vary! I've refrained from posting on the ai500 page/green team page as our team is in the process of composing a detailed debrief, which frenchie approached us personally to do before people started *suitcase* flinging in public. If I don't see some real input on those pages though in a week or so, I shall air my opinion there too!

Firstly, this was the first time I'd gone airsofting in about 4 years, but while I've been out of it, I've stayed in contact with my guys, and had several years of experience before that. Also, I'm a 35 year old bloke with a good dollop of life experience, so would like to think I can form a balanced viewpoint and not scream and rant like a 16 year old who thinks they know best :P

1; command structure

For us at least (green team/LSD) it was non existent. We got a quick brief at the start of a game by the 1i/c and that was it really. No follow up as he was usually screaming about on a quad, and when playing he was screaming at players in the respawn to "*fruitcage* move up" and "*fruitcage* push on" and other inspiring, pithy quips. It may have been him 'getting in character', but it rubbed a lot of players up the wrong way. There was more than a bit of chat insinuating that if he spoke to a player like that individually, he would be on the receiving end of a torrent of abuse or someone landing one on him.

The 2i/c I never saw after he was introduced on Friday night, and never heard a peep from him all weekend.

2; marshals

Far too few, I think they averaged about 1:40ish players. They also liked to scream about on quads a fair bit. In my opinion marshalling was also very one-sided. Grenade rules on the Sunday were different for each team. Tans could overarm mk5 types over a building, greens could not.

3; sportsmanship.

Absolutely shocking on viper team. Despite repeated hosing, players would not take hits. This wasn't a one off, I experienced it constantly throughout the weekend.

Three times stick out for me.

The first on Saturday afternoon on the outside balcony with the doors for barricades. I was low by the wall, enemy player leans over high to shoot. I put 5 or 6 in his chest on semi, from 2-3 metres (I gave up on bang kills that morning after no *fruitcage* took them. They weren't obliged to, but I tried to be the nice guy...) anyway, I knew I hit him as I heard the thwacks off his spotless multicam plate carrier. He looked down and put a burst of full auto into the top of my head. My team mate gripped me and suggested I walk to respawn when he saw me heading towards the stairs to go up.

Second, Sunday morning first game. Doors were to be left open after they created choke points. Fair enough. This was ignored by tan team. I fought my way to a closed door. 2 marshals in a room opposite, maybe 3 metres from the door. I made eye contact and lit a bang, opened the door and posted it. It goes off into a group of around 10, and I follow it, hitting 5 guys stacked up in the chests. I then got rinsed with a squirt of full auto. This is not allowed in buildings...

I call hit and was told as there was 10 minutes left of the game we had no respawn, this was known. 2 guys of the enemy group were made to take the grenade kill, although it would have taken the lot out. I asked the marshals what about the 5 I shot, and was told they would respawn (apparently they still had respawn rules). Not one player followed me down the stairs. I looked back up and they were stacked up again. Ok then.

Third was the game after that. Fairly big firefight, stagnating. 4 tans crossing from my right to left, say 2 o clock to 8 o clock, engaging other players. I pop out and rinse them from around 15 metres. They all flinch and wince as I tagged the left side of their heads/torso. Didn't even stop to look at me and carried on engaging. I left the field at that point (approx 1100 Sunday) and didn't play again.

The scenarios were also changing on the fly. I appreciate this was done to try and put some life in to the games after Saturdays cluster*fruitcage*, but the 1st game Sunday was designed for tans to win. 45 minute game, hold the building. Team with most players in at the end wins. 1 medic and then respawn, until last 10 minutes when we get no medic or respawn, we leave the area. Tans still had respawn to the end so as we haemorrhaged players they lost none. Not that they bothered to fall back to respawn, see my second point on sportsmanship.

I hate to be 'that guy' and scream 'cheaters'. It's part of the game and I let a good bit go, but this was something else entirely. I believe there were reports of our guys doing the same, but saw none. This isn't team bias, I saw none from the green team. However, when I sat out on Sunday I stayed at the respawn, and returning players were coming in saying that as the tans weren't taking hits, why should they, and were only counting face shots as a reason to respawn. I told them that made them no better and was glad I sat out.

Most of the guys I went with sat out after the first game Sunday too.

To sum up, it was very disappointing. I spent a lot of money on the weekend, as did others, for a lacklustre event that was no better than a bad walk-on skirmish. To be fair, my guys were surprised, as they have been to 2 or 3 other ai500 events and absolutely loved them.

I would like to hear from deltazero on how our side were perceived though, as I didn't hear much over the weekend. I suspect I will be the same as my report, in reverse :P

Lastly, lots and lots of kit went walkies too. Guys lost a few BFGs in play I believe, in buildings where they couldn't really get lost. Make of that what you will.

If I think of more, I'll add it on, and welcome any questions. I'll answer them if I can!

Archived