My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  I did wonder who much of it is posturing/understating on the government's part.  At the end of the day, when we are attacked it's going to be utter chaos no matter how many attacks we are prepared for.  That first 30 mins, there's no planning that will help that.

A blacked out Lynx just flew really low over my house as I was typing this :s

Anyone else think it's weird how much coverage/detail the government gives out in terms of anti terror gun/bomb attacks?  I mean, saying we can cope with 10 simultaneous attacks...If i was in charge of an IS cell, that would be my benchmark .  I wouldn't be ready to pull the trigger on an attack unless I had 12-15 good to go.  I appreciate the logistics involved in planning such a high number of simultaneous attacks makes it semi unrealistic (I hope) but still.  If they just said are prepared for multiple simultaneous attacks, that leaves the bad guys guessing how much planning and scale they need. 

Plus how much info they leak in terms of attack preparedness/reaction for the press to try and make us feel safe that IS have outright said they study to make attacks more successful.  It seems things would be a lot safer if they did all their preparing in the dark as best as they could and then just pop of the darkness and come down like a tonne of bricks when the time comes.

It is a "communications strategy" - a PR exercise. Armed police drills will get good coverage as they are dramatic.  For your last bit I suspect that is the case - stuff like armed police doing drills isn't really giving anything away, though I suspect that tracking of incoming migrants is taking up the man hours and less will be said about it.

I suspect if we have another terrorist attack it will be a handful of gunmen killing as many people as possible before the police arrive and they explode themselves. 

On a semi related note, doing scenarios for these kind of exercises is fun in a twisted way...

I worked one up once, was harsh as *fruitcage*...

Based in Manchester, had a backpack bomb on a tram exploded in the Piccadilly stop under the train station - so that screwed the city centre. At the same time, some terrorists with a HMG on the back of a truck shot down an airliner on takeoff from Manchester airport then fled with the truck around the M60 motorway until they got to the road/rail bridge where they drove the truck onto the tracks under the bridge and detonated the truckbomb in the path of a Virgin Rail train, closing the mainline and the motorway bridge not to mention killing hundreds when the train derailed...

It was brutal. Then you give the scenario to people piece by piece and see how they respond, moving imaginary troops around to try to cope...

Hedge is now on a watch list...!

I'm prone to do the same sometimes, purely as a practical exercise. Mainly for my safety though, so is that paranoid? I do it with places I visit too, such as the zoo yesterday. However if a bunch of nutters started massacring the chavs there I would have probably given it a good half hour before I called it in...

Are we sensible, think of scenarios and how to circumvent responses such as the above example from hedge? Or are we crazy paranoid gun-nuts?

Then you get investigated for being able to do that.

I called the police once after seeing some chavs with what I though was probably an airsoft pistol in a car going past my flat.

i wasn't 100% that it was an airsoft one so I called and gave a description.

Car, plate, no. of occupants, description of occupants, direction of travel and description of suspected firearm.

Later I received a visit from some police officers who had caught the chavs and were interested in how I had been able to identify a Beretta 93R from a glimpse through the window of a moving car.

The answer "The distinctive folding fore grip, officer." only caused more interest.

Then you get investigated for being able to do that.

I called the police once after seeing some chavs with what I though was probably an airsoft pistol in a car going past my flat.

i wasn't 100% that it was an airsoft one so I called and gave a description.

Car, plate, no. of occupants, description of occupants, direction of travel and description of suspected firearm.

Later I received a visit from some police officers who had caught the chavs and were interested in how I had been able to identify a Beretta 93R from a glimpse through the window of a moving car.

The answer "The distinctive folding fore grip, officer." only caused more interest.

Tell them what do you think I'm some sheltered pog?

I'm prone to do the same sometimes, purely as a practical exercise. Mainly for my safety though, so is that paranoid? I do it with places I visit too, such as the zoo yesterday. However if a bunch of nutters started massacring the chavs there I would have probably given it a good half hour before I called it in...

Are we sensible, think of scenarios and how to circumvent responses such as the above example from hedge? Or are we crazy paranoid gun-nuts?

"We" all aren't crazy paranoid gun nuts but you are sounding like one! lol

Well, I was paid by Her Majesty's Armed Forces for the above exercise, so it was all official and above board.

Just because you're paid to do it doesn't make it above board!

not a day goes by that I don't fantasize  about taking down a gunman, removing the magazine and making the gun safe. Later a press conference which in my head goes exactly like this:

You sound like you'd be right at home with shmook on a ward of the DOP! lol Every day!! Twice a week maybe! lol

No one likes a grass Stunt, not even the police!

The police love Grasses they wouldn't make any arrests without them now!

Simply saying "I'm an army veteran" should have cleared that up...

I wasn't at the time, I can be somewhat naive.

No one likes a grass Stunt, not even the police!

I know, hayfever sucks.

Just imagine a chav with a $60K 93R lol.

Doesn't cost that if you steal it, Italian SF must have lost a few down the years.

Anyway, even if it was airsoft, they needed to be reminded that waving a "gun" around is stupid.

I had a similar reaction when stopped at Gatwick and I asked about his mp5. It probably didn't help that I was dressed like a typical student goth and it was 4 months after September 11th

Never going to go well.

Scummy effing bastards who pick on the weak and defenceless, so they can gain a few victory marks on the scoreboard.

If you want a fight pick it with the people who can fight. Not those who can't.

Brussels?

Guys, you shouldn't fantasise so hard. Guess what's going on in Brussels. 2 bombs in the entryhall of the airport, 1 in the metro and several other unconfirmed cases. We're back on defcon 4 ( highest here). I'm sick with worry. My ex wouldn't respond when I called her becausen I knew she'd be at the airport today. Lucky when I arrived at her apartment she was just asleep. Thank the gods for that.

So what now? I'm actually starting to worry why? Seriously why. Why attack a country meaning 2 times nothing to the world..

Cause Brussels is the jihad capital of Europe

Scarclaw mate, I'd appreciate if you kept such comments for yourself until you have something more substantial to say.

I remember the 2005, 2007 bombing and 2013, 2015 terror attacks in London. By your logic, London should be the Jihadi capital of the EU.

Is it? No.

So shut the *fruitcage* up.

What an insensitive *beep* you are.

Archived