My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had another fence panel come down last night in the wind. Landlord is refusing to respond about removing the first two broken panels that came down a few weeks ago. I replaced them and will take it off the rent but getting a little tired of fixing stuff for him. Worst part is this panel fell on the missus' bird bath and smashed it to pieces so she isn't happy..

So now, not only am I going into Brighton on a busy day I also have a grumpy Mrs. Today is going to be fun!

What about carrying a razor blade in your wallet?  Would that be considered a fixed a fixed blade?  I've found they are very handy to keep in your wallet if carrying a folder is not ideal.   Pretty much undetectable too, not that I'm trying to hide it, just the nature of a razor blade heh.

Genuinely, I don't know. Technically it's a bladed article but if it's just the blade, officer discretion would be the order of the day if they were satisfied with the explanation.

Again, that's if you're even stopped. If you were though, declare it, because we go through wallets, and if found without being told, or worse a cop gets cut, you'll probably be coming in for a chat...

There's always a slim chance, like being hit by a bus, but it's so rare that I wouldn't consider it as an option really.

The media has blown it out of proportion, and no cop does it for fun, there's always a reason, unless there are special measures in place, which themselves are hard to justify and must be authorised beforehand by senior management.

So... Say you're stopped and consent to being searched for whatever reason. You tell the officer "there's a small blade in my wallet, which I carry for opening letters, parcels, cutting twine, etc."

What's likely to happen then? Will they just say "okay, take that out for me and put it over there"?

Will they confiscate said blade -would it be legal to do so?

Will you be attested for "carrying a concealed weapon" or something?

I appreciate that there's some discretion left to the officer, but what does the law actually *say* on this subject?

Do any of us actually know what is or isn't legal to carry around just in case you might come across a need to use it?

No replacement from Apple because they claim the phone is too bent to be a fault and must have been abuse. Because any sane person would bend their immaculate £500+ phone just for kicks. I shouldn't be told I have to pay £229 to replace my phone that only needs replacing because they failed to test the product enough initially.

I've lost all faith in the brand and will be going elsewhere at the end of my contract. Till then im coping with a bent phone.

Bastards.

So... Say you're stopped and consent to being searched for whatever reason. You tell the officer "there's a small blade in my wallet, which I carry for opening letters, parcels, cutting twine, etc."

What's likely to happen then? Will they just say "okay, take that out for me and put it over there"?

Generally yes, unless you're Scrotey McScroteface who is a scrote and known to us and/or has a history of using blades as a weapon.

Will they confiscate said blade -would it be legal to do so?

No. If it's to be confiscated, there's an offence, and you'll be arrested for it. We can't just take items and then let you go. If you are arrested though, said article will be seized as evidence so you won't get it back unless it's ascertained there's no offence via interview, or if found not guilty at court.

Will you be attested for "carrying a concealed weapon" or something?

it will be for 'possession of a bladed article'. There isn't an offence of concealed weapon, it's 'offensive weapon', whether hidden or not. Knives/bladed articles have their own section of the criminal justice act (S.139)

I appreciate that there's some discretion left to the officer, but what does the law actually *say* on this subject?

Do any of us actually know what is or isn't legal to carry around just in case you might come across a need to use it?

if it's under 3 inches in blade length, and non-locking (must be readily foldable at all times), then you're generally good to go. However, if you use said knife to say threaten someone, then you've now committed an offence, even thought he knife would be classed as 'legal' to carry in other circumstances.

Same as carrying a house brick or table leg for example. Both are innocuous normally, but if you wrap one round someone's head, you've then got an offensive weapon charge added to the assault/GBH/whatever and you're in a world of *suitcase*!

Edit, you can carry a machete down the street of you have a reasonable excuse or lawful authority. For example "I've borrowed it to tidy my garden officer, and as you can see it's securely wrapped to stop it being readily accessible." No problem there. The lawful authority part is more for say cops. We carry batons in public. You can't, but we have lawful authority so are covered. Can't carry them off duty though!

However, if said machete mentioned is tucked in your trackie bottoms unsheathed (fnar), and you say "I've got it to go and *fruitcage* up Dave the skag-head down the road as he owes me a fortune for all the gear I supply him", you're probably going to get invited for a little talk.

No replacement from Apple because they claim the phone is too bent to be a fault and must have been abuse. Because any sane person would bend their immaculate £500+ phone just for kicks. I shouldn't be told I have to pay £229 to replace my phone that only needs replacing because they failed to test the product enough initially.

I've lost all faith in the brand and will be going elsewhere at the end of my contract. Till then im coping with a bent phone.

Bastards.

Similar thing happened with my Macbook Pro.  It was one of the ones affected by the Nvidia issue.  Got nowhere with people in the Apple shop.  They wanted to charge me for a new Logic board, a good few hundred quid.  I told them to shove it up their *albartroth*. I e-mailed Tim Cook to express my displeasure at their brand and I was contacted by customer relations in Ireland.  Went through the same *suitcase*.  Eventually I told them I would take them to court, suddenly they could fix it for free.  I got shot of it as soon as I got it back as it was just going to screw up again as the replacement part was just as susceptible.  Got myself a proper laptop with the proceeds.  Massively put me off Apple even more than I already was.

Delta, missed your post as I was editing mine.

I would fight those *fruitcage*ers tooth and nail if I was you. I've done it with my network provider for faulty devices and if you keep pushing they cave. Maybe try your provider? They were the point of sale I'm guessing, unless you bought direct from the apple store?

EE were my point of sale but they suggested going to Apple. Im not done arguing don't you worry. I've actually straightened the bend slightly now so im going to give it another go at claiming warranty at a different store, they claimed it was too bent to be warranty so now surely it isn't. If that's a no go I'll email the offices or some sort and kick up a fuss. Otherwise I'll cope, it stays in a case so isn't a massive deal.

No case for me.  Ruins the lines.  In pocket, on desk, in car dock.  It has an easy life.  Though I did regret not having a case when it slipped out of my pocket of some new trousers when getting out of my car at a petrol station.  Luckily only a couple of light marks as the drop wasn't much. Then again, I don't have an iPhone so my phone isn't made from monkey metal heh.

Well after my Galaxy S died a long overdue death I went with the Galaxy S4. Lasted a week before it fell out of my pocket and c destroyed the screen/digitiser.

Got a bargain S4 that now lives in an Otterbox which gives me some much needed comfort as I'm always scrambling round my cellar etc.

I don't like a case unless I have to. The phone was designed to have its lines and beauty on show not hidden. But the workshop is pretty hard wearing on phones so I need something to keep it safe. At least to keep the oil at bay!

I love my tempered glass screen protector though. Unfortunately due to the bending it has cracked the protector so thats another £20 odd down due to Apples mistake. But now if I take this protector off and try to put another on I'm worried it'll crack the new one and be uneven.. so I will keep the cracked one for now. 

Ben - Never played skryim so have no idea what you are talking about. But I am with you on mods. I wish people would just leave the game as it is and how it was meant to be. A bit like phones and cases I guess! 

Customer: Can you get me this stat very quickly? It's desperate, I have no hot water to wash my kids.

Me: As it happens, I have one at my distribution centre. I'll add it to my daily order and it'll be here by 0730.

Customer: Cool, I'll pick it up Saturday.

Obviously, his definition of desperate with unwashed children differs somewhat from mine.

Archived