My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

My current bugbear is parking in blue badge spaces without a badge.

Honestly, they should make a law allowing people to break the legs of those who abuse these spaces - then they could have a taste of what being disabled is like.

With this, say in a supermarket, they aren't enforceable though are they?

I've no idea to be honest, so although a *Ubarflock* trick, there's no offence? I get in public bays on roads and council property etc there's an offence but don't know how it works privately.

Never had an issue, and both parents have had blue badges.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On private car parks, they're not subject to the same laws as on-street spaces.

They could easily be made enforceable, though, by a change in the law.

Even when the car parks put up notices about tickets for breaking the rules, it doesn't matter if they don't actually have anyone giving out tickets.

Whether or not the tickets are enforceable is another matter, of course, but most people would still try to avoid getting one if they knew people were actually issuing them.

On private car parks, they're not subject to the same laws as on-street spaces.

They could easily be made enforceable, though, by a change in the law.

Seems like you are changing the definition of "private" - disabled bays (edit: on private land ofc) are a courtesy nothing more. 

Plenty of laws are enforceable on private land.

Apparently, private car park operators have successfully taken people to court and won over unpaid car park fines.

None of which helps if they don't actually have anyone giving out tickets in the first place.

Well, I guess he was abusing it, why else would he be trying to hide it in his lap.  Unless this is normal procedure, official use or not.  I just would have thought it would be at steering wheel height so you know, he could at least have one eye on the road.  And he was in no rush, just casually pulled out of a police station a few seconds earlier.

I wasn't there, but doubtful it was a phone. Most likely they were tetra'ing on their radio. Basically slang for a 1 to 1 radio call/conversation where you're dialling a collar number. There's an exemption in law for radio use by cops, but it is abused for calls that are unnecessary.

However, sometimes they are and need to be dialled on the fly, not always on a blue light run.

Plenty of laws are enforceable on private land.

Apparently, private car park operators have successfully taken people to court and won over unpaid car park fines.

None of which helps if they don't actually have anyone giving out tickets in the first place.

The blue badge scheme, as far as I understand it is an exemption to measures in the RTRA... not for car parks. It does not entitle you to anything - just ensures that road traffic measures do not unfairly penalise the disabled.

edit: just reading this: http://cardiffmummysays.com/family-life/a-message-for-people-who-misuse-parent-and-child-parking-spaces/ 

so delicious. I CANNOT WAIT to park in one next time. 

Parent and child spaces should be far from the door - parents with children need wider space to get kids and prams and stuff into/out of the car. They do NOT need to park close to the shop.

If the spaces were far from the doors, less people would misuse them.

Disabled spaces DO need to be close to the doors as well as bring wide, as mobility-impaired people shouldn't have to struggle further than they have to.

Edit -the link you posted doesn't work.

^Exactly. If they were further away I would stop using them but as it is I just don't.

I hate this culture of victimhood which has manifested itself in this instance of "poor me, I'm such a hard done by parent, going away during school holidays is more expensive bla bla bla".

It's so unbecoming.

Actually on the parent and child spaces, wide spaces are useful but also not having to navigate small kids across the car park is better for everyone.

Never use them myself, mine are well trained.

What bugs me is the lack of temporary disabled badges. When I ruptured achilles and was in a cast for a while, it would have been handy! Wider space for getting in and out and possibly being closer to where we had to go would have been great. I was not fantastic on crutches :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just wider spaces in general are needed I think.  Just look at the issues with new build garages.  Same applies to parking spaces.  Cars are getting bigger and bigger.  Garages and parking spaces are not.

People normally choose to become parents.

People don't normally choose to become disabled.

My current manager moans that going away during the holidays is considerably more expensive and she can't pull her kids out of school (yet somehow gets pretty much all school holidays and therefore pub critical times off which seems out of order).

She adopted her two kids... (I'm all for adoption by the way, enough kids out there without families)

Well, I guess he was abusing it, why else would he be trying to hide it in his lap. Unless this is normal procedure, official use or not. I just would have thought it would be at steering wheel height so you know, he could at least have one eye on the road. And he was in no rush, just casually pulled out of a police station a few seconds earlier.

Again, not sticking up for him, but maybe it's just habit to dial/use it there?

I'm typing this on my phone now, and its in the same position - my lap - as it's more comfortable for me than holding it up next to the steering wheel. (don't worry, engine is off, I'm parked on private land etc!).

I agree with what you're saying, if it's justified it shoukd at least be at the wheel so he can better see the road, but maybe he's immersed in the job in hand and hasnt recognised what he's doing?

And yes, I realise this could wander into driving without due care or other traffic offences :)

The penalty for taking kids out of school needs to be far more severe - it's what, a £70 fine? That's nothing compared to the saving you make on a term-time holiday.

I appreciate how supply and demand works, but the holiday companies should be allowed to profiteer to the extent they do, either.

I agree with what you're saying, if it's justified it shoukd at least be at the wheel so he can better see the road, but maybe he's immersed in the job in hand and hasn't recognised what he's doing?

Why does he need to see the road if he's parked up in a forecourt? I'm assuming he's waiting for his partner to refuel the vehicle/pay in the shop, etc...

The penalty for taking kids out of school needs to be far more severe - it's what, a £70 fine? That's nothing compared to the saving you make on a term-time holiday.

I appreciate how supply and demand works, but the holiday companies should be allowed to profiteer to the extent they do, either.

On the back of that, why are staff not penalised for time off during term time?

Add into that teacher training days/inset days etc and it looks bad. Whyshould a parent have to take time off work or arrange child care for these when they could be arranged at a time when the school is already closed?

Why does he need to see the road if he's parked up in a forecourt? I'm assuming he's waiting for his partner to refuel the vehicle/pay in the shop, etc...

Was hitman not referring to the cop he saw driving towards him?

I know a few teachers.  Some do take time off during term time.  Of course only when they're 'ill' It's not that common but does happen.

'Oh, I'm ill on Friday...  Still ill on Monday'  Handy 4 day weekend.

I assumed we were talking about the pictured officer parked in the forecourt...

I may have misunderstood.

Yeah.  Wires crossed here.  We were talking about the chap driving towards me, not looking at the road.

I assumed we were talking about the pictured officer parked in the forecourt...

I may have misunderstood.

No, I was referring to his post 2 pages back (2 on my phone at least).

This thread is going all over the place!

Archived