My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the parking spaces thing.

In Stunt's Britain the parent and child spaces would be all the way at the other side of the car park but near the edge and there would be a perimeter path to keep the kids off the routes.

I would solve the parking space problem size the same way the Japanese did.

Define the size of a car in the law, one that fits the standard space.  E30 BMW sort of thing.

Tax the absolute out of anything bigger.

That would in a single shot stop all the idiots cutting around in cars capable of driving across the moon.

I would also make it illegal to park commercial vehicles in residential areas.

Park your work van on the street at your house?  Not any more.

I am tired of the *beep* who parks a VW Crafter the size of Jupiter outside my house and blocks out all the light.

a) It's my personal experience, not "tarring" anyone with anything.

B) Being tarred with the same brush is normally a negative thing, whereas I was defending the group in question.

c) You're having a go at me for saying I don't know anyone in a given group who is a git? Really?

Edit - in other news, we *REALLY* need to get Stunt into power...

Same, dont tarr everyone with the same brush. . . Am sure someone else said that a few pages back.

I said it regarding a post alias made :)

As for the van thing, I used to sometimes bring one home as we are doing our house up, and could borrow one from my work if needed.

I would bin it right outside my house to load/unload, and then move it to a spot where it wasn't in the way as such. Never outside someone's house, always across the road on the side where there are no houses, just a new doctors surgery. If I couldn't do that I'd dump it a street or two away so it wouldn't off the neighbours (still away from houses, not upsetting folk in other streets!)

In honesty though, if you don't like someone parking outside your house, don't buy on a residential street with unrestricted parking. There was someone today on a local Facebook group bleating on about the same, and got no sympathy from myself or others.

As for limiting car size, why? Taxing the *suitcase* out of big ones already happens due to more fuel consumption/larger emissions bracket etc. why can't people drive what they want?

As for limiting car size, why? Taxing the *suitcase* out of big ones already happens due to more fuel consumption/larger emissions bracket etc. why can't people drive what they want?

Because large vehicles don't fit in the regulation size parking spaces.

Am I right in thinking that if the DPF packs in though, your engine is *fruitcage*ed and will cost thousands to sort?

Shouldn't mess up the engine.  Perhaps if you keep on driving when your dash is lit up like a Christmas tree with DPF related errors I suppose.

From what I gather, if it can't regenerate, you need a new DPF which yeah, can be very pricey.

I'm driving a 65 plate Zafira SE (not this minute, but in general), had it since September and put just over 2600 miles on it so far.

Have had warnings about the diesel particulate filter 3 times: "Diesel particulate filter full - keep driving"

Goes away after 10-15 minutes at dual-carriageway speeds.

It's quite annoying when it comes on just as I'm about to get home, meaning I have to drive around aimlessly for a quarter of an hour wasting fuel...

I seem to recall they do have a fixed life that varies between makes and models.  Be it 40K, 60K miles whatever if you look after them.  Lifespan drops dramatically if you don't.

I'm sure the average diesel owner has no idea about them too.  I was talking to a car salesman a while ago and he was trying to get me in a diesel.  I said they were incompatible with my driving requirements and he basically flat out lied or had no idea what he was talking about.  I'm sure the average car buyer just takes them at their word and then wonders why they're facing a £1K bill for a new DPF because they haven't maintained it.

Drill it out, fit the new one with only three bolts and then never think about it again.

High tensile steel. Nothing's touching it.

So, the parking spaces thing.

In Stunt's Britain the parent and child spaces would be all the way at the other side of the car park but near the edge and there would be a perimeter path to keep the kids off the routes.

I would solve the parking space problem size the same way the Japanese did.

Define the size of a car in the law, one that fits the standard space.  E30 BMW sort of thing.

Tax the absolute ###### out of anything bigger.

That would in a single shot stop all the idiots cutting around in cars capable of driving across the moon.

I would also make it illegal to park commercial vehicles in residential areas.

Park your work van on the street at your house?  Not any more.

I am tired of the *beep* who parks a VW Crafter the size of Jupiter outside my house and blocks out all the light.

I'd vote for this. 

As for the guy and a crafter, it's remarkably easy to remove his DPF and catalytic convertor. Probably around 200 vehicles had them stolen in the dealer network at the moment. About £1700 parts alone plus vat plus labour to replace.

I said it regarding a post alias made :)

As for the van thing, I used to sometimes bring one home as we are doing our house up, and could borrow one from my work if needed.

I would bin it right outside my house to load/unload, and then move it to a spot where it wasn't in the way as such. Never outside someone's house, always across the road on the side where there are no houses, just a new doctors surgery. If I couldn't do that I'd dump it a street or two away so it wouldn't ###### off the neighbours (still away from houses, not upsetting folk in other streets!)

In honesty though, if you don't like someone parking outside your house, don't buy on a residential street with unrestricted parking. There was someone today on a local Facebook group bleating on about the same, and got no sympathy from myself or others.

But, with the odd exception, you don't need a car the size of a small house. Obviously excluding people with large families (which I'm guessing would also be outlawed in Stunts' Britain), people that require a wheelchair hoist/winch, Taxi cabs/minibusses, delivery vehicles and the like, there is no advantage to be gained from driving something the size of an Audi Q7 compared to, say, a volvo V40.

None.

Not one.

Yeah.  That is a bit much.  Just tax the *suitcase* out of vile diseasels and clamp down on DPF removals.

There's nothing wrong with diesels. 

Am I right in thinking that if the DPF packs in though, your engine is *fruitcage*ed and will cost thousands to sort?

Not neccesarily, what happens is people bought diesels thinking 'ooh great, fuel economy!' when in reality all they actually used the car for was 3 miles to school and back each day, 5 miles to the shops on an evening and 10 miles to the inlaws/granparents/cinema at the weekends. 

DPF's work by trapping all the soot and ###### that comes out the back of normal diesel combustion processess, and then once it reaches a certain level, tells the engine to run in a 'regeneration cycle', whereupon the turbo and DPF get mega *bramston pickle* hot, and all the soot and nasty stuff burns away.

This isn't actually any 'better' than not having a DPF, for the environment, but as it doesn't kick out half as much soot and the like when it's going through the EU emissions tests, it counts as cleaner.

Same as start/stop technilogy. It doesn't actually make your car more fuel efficient, unless you spend 50% of your time driving sat idling waiting at lights. 

It just makes it look better on the tests.

I hereby volunteer as tribute for Secretary of Transportation.

Stunt's Britain, delivered by Tink © would involve monthly 'one way loops' in various publically voted places around the UK. 

think all the amazing roads you'd love to drive properly, but can't, because of idiots coming the other way, and bad road conditions, etc. Once a month, three roads (like buttertubs pass, snake pass, etc etc) would be made 'one way only' like special stages in a rally. 

This would be from a friday evening to a monday morning, and would engage the nation in the great british past time of driving.

Potholes would be repaired within one month of being reported, thanks to dedicated teams arranged by the Bureau of Driving in liaison with the DFT and local councils.

Any council found not repairing potholes with have the work carried out, mandatorily, by another council, and having twice the usual cost deducted from the wages of the council members responsible.

Train operators would be given strict rules to adhere to - no more than a 5% 'lateness' is acceptable. A complete review of services and provisions would be carried out, to ensure that rush hour commuter trains aren't only two carriages long.

Where sensible, more bus lanes will be introduced, and with immediate effect, all cycle lanes will be abolished. This is down to two main reasons - 1: nobody uses them, as they're usually full of crud, broken glass, leaves etc, and B: the onus will be on all road users to ensure their own and others safety.

As such, all cyclists would require insurance. This will be subsidised by the government for the first three years, and after that you're on your own.

Road theory to be taught to all pupils with focus on bicycles in the lower years (Keystage 1 and 2) and motorcycles and cars in the upper years (Keystage 3).

Mandatory driving test re-sits required every 10 years to the age of 60, then 5 years to 75, then every other year from ages 76 and above.

Those would be my opening laws.

I'm driving a 65 plate Zafira SE (not this minute, but in general), had it since September and put just over 2600 miles on it so far.

Have had warnings about the diesel particulate filter 3 times: "Diesel particulate filter full - keep driving"

Goes away after 10-15 minutes at dual-carriageway speeds.

It's quite annoying when it comes on just as I'm about to get home, meaning I have to drive around aimlessly for a quarter of an hour wasting fuel...

It's not just driving fast, you need to rev the *suitcase* out of it to get it nice and hot.  Drop it down to 4th and stay at 70 for a bit.  Might sort it a bit quicker in the future.

Also, if it regens quite a bit, you need to make sure you keep on top of your oil changes as it dilutes the engine oil with diesel .

Potholes would be repaired within one month of being reported, thanks to dedicated teams arranged by the Bureau of Driving in liaison with the DFT and local councils.

Potholes in residential areas is an easy one to fix.

The cost of Potholes is 95% getting the crew on site, the time it takes, the relevant back handers etc and only about 5% materials cost.

I propose that as part of their permit to carry out works, utilities companies should be required to fix all potholes on the street they are working on and the ones either end of it. In no time at all we'd see real improvements being made.

There's nothing wrong with diesels.

Apart from all the cancer.

As for potholes.  I don't think it should be up to us to report them.  They should be actively searching for them and repairing them.  If they were fined each time one was reported, things would improve dramatically.

Oil changes?

It's brand new.

It's also on a leasing scheme, so I don't have to do any maintenance whatsoever. Literally, all I have to do is put fuel in it, drive it, and keep it nice to get some deposit back when I exchange it for a new one every 3 years.

I don't know what oil they put in it at the dealer, but the level is okay and that's about all I can check.

I suspect the problem comes from my doing too many short journeys.

It's not just driving fast, you need to rev the *suitcase* out of it to get it nice and hot.  Drop it down to 4th and stay at 70 for a bit.  Might sort it a bit quicker in the future.

Also, if it regens quite a bit, you need to make sure you keep on top of your oil changes as it dilutes the engine oil with diesel .

10,000 miles / 12 months is, in my opinion, the ideal interval between oil changes in the UK for probably 90% of the cars on the road.

Apart from all the cancer.

As for potholes.  I don't think it should be up to us to report them.  They should be actively searching for them and repairing them.  If they were fined each time one was reported, things would improve dramatically.

There isn't any hard proof that diesels cause cancer.

They certainly dont not cause cancer, and some of the emissions definately aren't great for you, but you've probably got the same 'risk' as walking through some smokers outside the pub on the way in, and breathing in a few lung fulls of their coffin-nails.

Oil changes?

It's brand new.

It's also on a leasing scheme, so I don't have to do any maintenance whatsoever. Literally, all I have to do is put fuel in it, drive it, and keep it nice to get some deposit back when I exchange it for a new one every 3 years.

I don't know what oil they put in it at the dealer, but the level is okay and that's about all I can check.

I suspect the problem comes from my doing too many short journeys.

What mileage journeys do you do, on average?

Ah.  If it's leased then it's not your problem heh. Yeah.  It shoots a bit of diesel into the engine oil when it regens.  Too many regens and you have *suitcasey* diesely engine oil that needs a change.

Short journeys will do it.  Drive it like you stole it every now and again will keep on top of it.

Archived