My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

The EU law thing seems to have been blown out of proportion somewhat. I wouldn't worry.

The usual suspects in the UK are using it for self-promotion. The more things change....

If so, they weren't doing a very good job of promoting anything...
  • Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EU directive seems pretty bad... I mean assuming it all goes ahead.

I think us in the UK will be ok as the sale and import of RIFS is already illegal but the only "good news" for elsewhere is that there seems to have been little news at all... Though I could be well be out of date - would like to hear more.

I'm amazed they keep going, despite the seeming complete indifference of the majority of airsoft players.

The ABA folks got so little support after working so hard to get us the defense against the VCRA that they folded afterwards.

UKAPU seems slightly more supported, but not that much.

Most players have no idea what these organisations do or how they're benefitting from their efforts.

Hell, I didn't even know anything about this EU thing, and it's been going on for six months.

It seems these guys have been instrumental in saving the sport again, and they'll get little thanks for it.

Might as well, never have I met a "good cop".

5 town cops and I seen everyone of them do all I described.

Your sample group of 5 individuals is not statistically significant.

Although I feel sad that you live in a town with only 5 police and they're all *albartrotheth*...

Edit - albartrotheth? Really?

This swear filter is going too far now...

Gah typed out a whole thing and accidently hit back. Rant in bound... 

It's clear that American cops are closer to an occupying force then they are a service to citizens. I agree with Alias on that sense. I would be scared for my life if I came across a cop in America  - though its a good thing as I am as white as a ghost. edit: Did you know that several police departments in the US don't hire those who score too high on their IQ? See my final paragraph.. 

Not 100% cops are bad but those I've met have been complete *Ubarflock*. I have a mate (not a close one, but more than an acquaintance) who is a volunteer cop. He's a nice guy but for some reason showed me a video whereby he gets pranked by some guys with fake drugs. He comes across as a complete, utter *Ubar*. I mean its astonishing. I didn't really know what to say. When he is off duty he is Dan, my mate. On duty he is whatever number is on his shoulder... and is not my mate. Edit: he also openly admitted to be that he has pulled people over for no reason. I kinda took him up on that and it got pretty awkward haha

Anyway, its worth saying that the phrase "a few bad apples.." does not mean "yeah some are bad but the rest are good". NO!!! the full phrase is "a few bad apples spoils the bunch". As the saying goes... If you are a cop and you know of dirty cops, speak with dirty cops, maybe even drink or get lunch with dirty cops... you are a dirty cop.

In my experience people that actively sign up to jobs that gives them authority over other people are bastards. I associate them with the bullies I knew (and was victim of, on occasion at school).  Police, bouncers, wardens.. I have generally found soldiers to be ok but "respect the troops"... I'll do that on a case by case basis. 

I don't believe in this people are good or evil stuff but I suggest that the easiest way for a good man to do evil things is for him to "follow orders".  The personality trait of obedience is the one I find most dislike able in a person... it is the mentality of the cattle. Here's a great picture of German soldiers watching a film taken from inside one (or several, unspecified) of the concentration camps. I do not think that most of the guards of Belsen etc were "bad" or "evil" people. They probably loved their children, friends and family very much - as much as you or I. They just followed orders... 

I do feel sorry for the "good cops". I dunno what the solution is and I am far, far from an expert but there is a clear break down between "the community" and the police. Where ever I have lived it is rare to see a cop outside of a car or van except to see a stop and search take place. Police corruption is another matter for another time. I'll stop here and go take a breather ;)

Just to stick up for the good ones.  I did something illegal in the (imo dumb) eyes of the law.  Spotted by a police car.  He could have given me a fine but let me off with a warning.  So they do exist.

I got stopped once for doing 45 in a 30 at about midnight on my way home from TA. Road was empty, hasn't been drinking, was on early shift at work and just wanted my bed that few minutes earlier.

Typical of my luck, a police car happened to turn out of a junction after I passed it - don't think he was waiting there, just heading towards the same motorway as me.

So he lights up and I pull into a pub car park, he comes over and we go through the usual "you know why I stopped you?" etc routine. He sees I'm in uniform. I tell him "okay, I'll tell you the truth, yes I was going over the limit; but the road is deserted I live close by and know it well, I'm on my way home from TA and have work early in the morning and just want to get as much sleep as possible. Not trying to make excuses, just an explanation."

He looks at me for a minute and then just goes, "if I catch you again, you'll get a ticket, no excuses."

So I say "thank you" and we go about our business.

Speed camera wouldn't have done that.

I've done the same, from the other side. I see a speeder or illegal u turn/ minor thing, and generally won't ticket.

I also didn't sign up to be a bully or a twat either. In fairness I joined because I hate twats getting away with stuff they shouldn't. Prime example was the road rage incident I had. Who's to say the guy hadn't done that to others who were scared of him?

Edit, the obedience thing, while there is a chain of command, like any job, cops generally aren't sheep...

We don't stop and search for no reason - we can't - and try to bat jobs off quickly as there's so many of them.

In fairness, words of advice are given if possible for things like speeding as the paperwork can lock you down even for a bit, and it adds up.

And yes, there is a breakdown between communities and cops.i think it stems a lot from scrotey kids having a *suitcase* upbringing and not respecting early authority in teachers, which runs on to same lack of respect for cops. Combine this with our hand being tied/watered down justice system and people don't give a *suitcase* as they get a slap on the wrists unless you're really naughty.

Finally, you will hardly see a cop on the beat as there aren't enough of us to deal with all the jobs coming in. Grade 1 domestic incident 3 miles across town? Well be there in half an hour as all local cops are on foot, sorry.

Vehicles are a necessity to cover the ground we need to in a timely manner.

Spetz is back!

Whey! Welcome back!

Haha cheers guys, yeah I quit for a while last year, remembered my password and got round to using it :P

Wonder if spetz will be selling anything (preferable coyote brown/tan). . .

Solicitors seem to work at the pace of a snail. I'm fine, my family is fine, but the sale of my house is dragging.

Check my sales threads ;) I've got coyote kit coming out the wazoo.

Although unfortunately for Skarclaw, my rant of the day is cop bashers weirdly enough.

Since I've been called a racist and told that I'm apparently joining the police 'because I can't wait to shoot an innocent man in the head.'

Yes, De Menezes was very unfortunate and in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I am so sick and tired of these self entitled tumblr babies who want a 'safe space' and who constantly go off on the whole 'all cops are racist murderers' rant. Especially when if the situation had been reversed, De Menezes actually had been the suicide bomber and the police had hesitated and the guy had blown himself up and killed everyone in that carriage, the same little darlings screaming 'police brutality' now would be calling for police heads for their failure.

Especially in the UK, where for all their many flaws and issues, the police are absolute saints compared to the rest of the world. America is ridiculous, Brazil is a war zone. The UK is not a police state. Policemen stopping you smoking drugs or speeding etc is not 'oppression'. If some *rickroller* with a gun is shot on his way to kill someone or commit a robbery it is most probably because he is a *rickroller* with a gun.

Generally speaking, I've found with my interactions with the police (where I've held my hands up and admitted culpability), if you don't act like a t**t to them, they won't act like a t**t to you.

I believe in accountability but I have officially reached my limit of *fruitcage*s given.

Considering they have to deal with the great British Public on a daily basis, I'd think the police deserve medals for not going postal on a regular basis.

I'd say most people support you and other police officers, Shmook. More so here than in the States, perhaps, but then British police don't tend to shoot people, pets or anything else...

You guys do a difficult job and I'm glad you do. I just wish there were twice as many officers as there are (and you all got paid twice as much).

I think there is a very 'I'm alright Jack' mentality that applies to every aspect of life. All you read about is 'my doctor said this', 'the fire service was very rude' or 'the police told me off'.

People like to moan and read about other people moaning.

I'm just trying to run my meth lab and they come around, kick in the door and trash the place like a bull in a china shop. Completely out of order.   Do they even know how much a new door frame fit costs?

Although unfortunately for Ed Skar, my rant of the day is cop bashers weirdly enough.

I think you mean Skarclaw.

I share your sentiment completely. I don't break the law, and funnily enough I never get any form of police harassment.

Archived