My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had my interview for the computer place last night. Went really well but wages were lower than I expected. £15k PA before tax.

I literally can't afford to take the job. Coupled with a months notice period and likely a fortnight waiting for the offer to come through means I'll be a third of the way through the period between now and likely passing the third and final driving instructor test...

So I've decided to just man up and power through.

Yeah. I've applied for a warehouse job at the local tesco distribution centre but that's still 'under review' according to the website.

Also I feel *suitcase* and totally demotivated and lethargic and depressed, but I'm not sure if it is actual depression or not, so not sure if its worth going to to doctors about it, or if they'll just go "*fruitcage*s sake you're fine just get over it"

The latter always happens when I try to get someone to listen, so I just gave up and let the depression run wild.

Got orientation tomorrow for the holiday UPS gig, and probably stressed as hell about potentially *fruitcage* up a work chance that everyone keeps saying "it'll be easy" despite having never done it themselves.

Sore all over from raking 12 bags of leaves and cleaning a gym floor yesterday, couldn't sleep a wink. 

Last game of the year for one of the few fields I go to this Saturday, but atop all the usual things that demotivate me from going, I got the whole "if you go and pull too many muscles you are *fruitcage*ed if they start calling you in for work" mentality kicking in.

Nah, not in the kicking department (that's full time actual position work), just the holiday driver helper.  $15/hour, but no guarantees of any hours at all, and the revolving door (based on the driver's opinion) is faster than US senators and their business friends.

I was a postie, the parcel part is the easiest part.
I imagine it will be harder if the houses are farther apart (USA).

Sorry to hear that Tink.

I'm sure all will be well in time.  All this will be a memory.

I have 49 of the 50 under bridge flight challenges.  Can I find the 50th?

Can I *fruitcage*.

Found the video, did the bridges, still on 49.

Went to an older save and started again.  I had 6 already from just playing.

Got a sheet of pper and made a note of all the ones I activated.

Did all 50, ended up on 48/50

Had 8 that didn't activate, eliminated 4 of them since they were obvious and I probably did them in playing.

That left me with 4 bridges, 2 of which had glitched.

Chose my most likely 2 bridges and kept doing them.

Took 6 attempts on one and 5 on another.

Stupid game.

Science only knows how I am going to complete San Andreas Sightseer.

I'm having a similar issue on BF1 - every mission has challenges (kill so many enemies with grenades, avoid detection, etc) and there's one during the tank mission for destroying every field gun. Except there's a glitch where one doesn't spawn, so you can't kill them all, do can't get the challenge, so can't get the achievement for completing them all.

Irritating.

Titanfall 2 ###### off the Titanfall fans by taking away the things we asked for more of - customisation.

They replaced 3 titans with totally variable loadouts with 2 of each type (6 total) with set weapons you can change.

That's not what we wanted.

Battlefield 1 is great, apart from the one glitch above, which is the only issue I've had.

The single player campaign is excellent and the multiplayer is good, if a little heavy on snipers - but that's down to the players and should even out in time.

I cancelled my preorder for TF2 after playing the beta, but was very pleased with the BF1 beta and haven't been disappointed with the full game.

Since both games are published by EA, I don't know why they released them only a week apart. But why does EA do anything? The company seems to be run by idiots who hate gamers.

And yet the overwhelming majority of fans from the original aren't at all happy with the direction they've moved.

But who cares about that when you can replace them with new players?

The majority of changes that players were unhappy with in the beta have been fixed/changed iirc - it's a very different game now, even in the short time between beta and release. If Origin ever puts TF2 up on a free weekend I think you should check it out again!

I am insulted by the way that Battlefield was marketed as a different kind of game that shows the horrors of war and treats WWI with some dignity and respect.

Particularly when that is barely the case in the first mission and after that it is back to the "only you can save us" one-man-army style of utter garbage nonsense.

In the flying sections ramming the enemy planes is a legit strategy, you can repair your plane faster than they can damage it.

The plane has rockets.

Unlimited rockets.

In one mission you probably fire more rockets than were fired in the entire war.

There is a mission where you carry a belt-fed machine gun up a mountain in steel body armour and tank an entire enemy position.

*badger*s.

All they had to do was stick with the concept.

You have 120 lives in this mission because that is how many dudes you have.

If you die more than 120 times you fail.

The planes should be shot down in seconds and you die and complete the mission on foot.

Why are all the weapons automatic?

Gah!

Such a missed opportunity.  It is like an alternate reality WWI that happened 10 years later.

Yes, this is what I'm hearing from the detractors - but all the weapons used are genuine WW1 era weapons - albeit many were experimental and not fielded in significant numbers, but they *are* accurate to the period. Just about. The MP18, for example, was actually very successful and saw service with the Germans in relatively large numbers.

The game is set during the closing year of the war, when the newer technology and innovative tactics were most common. There are dozens of bolt-action and semi-auto rifles, though, and they're some of the more effective ones. I've got far more kills with the Medic's semi-auto Cei-Rigotti than with anything else, including the MP18.

I doubt most of the people making these complaints have the slightest idea what WW1 was actually like, most people think the entire thing was four solid years of sitting in a mud-filled trench them walking into machine-gun fire armed only with a single-shot rifle. And yes, there was plenty of that, but it wouldn't make for a great game so they focussed on other areas.

My biggest issue is how they've ignored which nations fielded what weapons and vehicles, anyone can use anything - at least BF4 had different tanks, etc. for the different countries involved.

The single player campaign should have stayed more like the "prologue" mission, I agree, but I found it quite sensitive to the subject in the narration more than the gameplay itself.

Some compromises always have to be made in any entertainment - film, TV or game - as reality isn't always conducive to a good story.

^agreed.

I have been following BF1 fairly closely and I haven't seen it marketed like that at all. I'm aware that in the campaign when you die it comes up with the name of who you were playing as, but that's it as far as I know.

Firstly playing the campaign mode is utterly pointless, I have no idea why they bothered to make it, I have no idea why people bother to play it, other than unlocking items or whatever. I play bf4 most evenings -I  have never loaded the campaign up. 

As for whether it is sufficiently realistic, I think a realistic war game would be pretty boring, and would more likely resemble one of those MMORPGs where you go about killing rats in your dugout to grind up a level.

There are a few games that do a "realistic" WW1 - aka, bolt action only which people can play instead.  WW1 was quite a conceptual war and I think it's cool that they went with all these wacky concept like double barreled SMGs and what not. I think of it as a "forgotten weapons" mod for a WW2 game. 

BF isn't ARMA, it's an arcade-y shooter with big maps... a good thing! 

Archived