My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever heard the old expression "cut off your nose to spite your own face"?

That's what they've done, electing DT over HC (="cut off your nose").

"your own face"=politics as usual, the political establishment, Washington DC, lobbyists, etc. etc.

Among many other "promises", DT said he would "drain the swamp".  Now that's he's head-elect of the swamp and in theory has the support of approximately 55% of the members of that swamp, it'll be interesting to see what he does, if anything.

Something that I never understood. Why do so many Americans hate Obamacare?

"Because why should I have to pay some of each of my paycheck to pay for a health care system that would support me even if I had no income. And how dare it look after other people? Obviously the only way for health care to work is by paying an insurance premium so long as you can afford it and if you can't, tough."

Something that I never understood. Why do so many Americans hate Obamacare?

I don't make enough to get penalized for not having it but if you don't have it and make enough you get fined(theft).

Now every year the premiums keep going up and it's to the point it's not affordable for many.

Take 2 coworkers for instance, they have insurance and still get penalized.

The only thing it did was help people who didn't have insurance with a preexisting condition get insurance.

It's no more affordable now than it was before except they can steel more money from you.

As for our candidates, American have not voted for a Democrat after another Democrat for what over a hundred years?

As Lewis Black said

A Republican comes in and says I got a bad idea, the Democrat says yeah and I can make it shittier.

Public education in the US has been socialized for decades: people pay through their property taxes according to the size/location of house they can afford (renters pay indirectly).  But lots of home owners and renters don't have kids.  Do they shout "theft"?

Not everyone needs education for their own family (no kids), but everyone is going to need health care, sooner or later.  Looked at in the big picture, there's a much better argument for universal health care than there is for universal public education.

All insurance involves what some describe as "theft": to drive your car legally you've got to have insurance, and most people who pay their premiums never make a claim.  So what's that?: government mandating private insurance companies to offer a service that "steals" from us?

Public education in the US has been socialized for decades: people pay through their property taxes according to the size/location of house they can afford (renters pay indirectly). But lots of home owners and renters don't have kids. Do they shout "theft"?

Not everyone needs education for their own family (no kids), but everyone is going to need health care, sooner or later. Looked at in the big picture, there's a much better argument for universal health care than there is for universal public education.

All insurance involves what some describe as "theft": to drive your car legally you've got to have insurance, and most people who pay their premiums never make a claim. So what's that?: government mandating private insurance companies to offer a service that "steals" from us?

I don't use hospitals so I shouldn't have to pay for someone else.

What about private schools? They pay and they pay again.

As for schools, just look at most of my typing on here and tell me school is doing well?

Most schools get almost nothing and the teachers get next to nothing.

Take for instance, a high school I think in Texas spent the tune of 24+ million for a football stadium when they overlooked an overcrowding problem.

I suggest walking on dirt and wilderness instead of streets and sidewalk. Loads of tax money to be saved that way!

Never use public transport, walk out of the light projected by street lanterns, collect and process your own waste... Go completely off-grid basically.

Also, Alias, you don't use hospitals... yet.

What you're saying about the Texas school is about dysfunctional management.

The 'everyone pays, everyone gets' system works, it doesn't screw people over. It's the people that screw the system over.

And that's because people in change are corrupt and not being checked upon.

In that light, state owned companies, for example,  can be controlled and checked upon MUCH easier than private companies.

It's just that we don't... and by privatising everything we give control away. 

Btw, everything man-made will fail if not being checked upon.

People scream about their rights, but deny they have a duty.

People don't wait to be given what they deserve, they take forcefully what they think they deserve and even then some "because you'd be stupid not to do so"

It's not stupid, it's being honest.

And what's cool about being honest nowadays?

I won't ever go to a hospital, our roads are , it took our town 49 years to fix one railroad crossing.

10 years that I know of to put up a speed limit sign on my road.

The police station was given a *fruitcage* load of money to renovate the jail so that they can house inmates, nope they just keep sending them to another county.

They are squandering our taxes when things need fixed 30+ years ago.

Also the us government did just fine not taxing the people for 100 years, then they brought in the emergency taxes bs then kept going with it.

Now we send millions of millions to other countries that need it other than us.

No wonder our land is in the *suitcase* hole because we are wasting taxes.

Then they come up with a grand scheme to get it back and call it mandatory.

I'm not sure how a country can run without taxes.  Oh wait, maybe a bit like Greece.  Look how that turned out :P

You just need to strike a balance.  Not have people in charge that can profit from taxes and keep everyone in check.

Archived