My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After talking to some much more knowledgeable people I think the brief stint of driving my corrodo without oil my have fubared the piston rings.

This means I've three options:

1: replace the engine with a reconditioned one

2: rebore the engine and get a slightly bigger capacity (moar powah!)

Or 3: complete engine swap for a 1.8 20vt engine out of audi TT which is probably most expensive and complicated but also significantly more power.

I'd lose the cool super charger though :(

Don't get the 1.8 20 valver, they are *suitcase*!

If you do, I would suggest cleaning the sump and replacing the scavenger pipe before fitting as it will be easier to do.

But don't get one.

Keep the supercharger at all costs. Also, review = rebore?

I love the 20v Turbo engine.

The 180 one out of the Octavia vRS is easy to get to 230 and the 225 ones out of the TT 225 and the Leon Cupra R can go up to 350 quite happily.

Golf GTi is probably the worst one of the bunch at 150.

Or

Supercharged 'busa engine.

Or

V8 from the Audi RS4

basically anything.

Busa engines and the v8 would be too expensive and too much work. I quite like the idea of a rebore as it'll give me a good excuse to strip an engine which I've not done before, but simply can't ignore the appeal of reliably getting 50% more power from the 20vt. It'd be the 226 BAM if I was going to do it, they're similar in price to a recon G60 block but not sure how much extra gubbins they need as they're much more electronic than mine.

I had a passat with the 1.8 20v turbo. Oil pump seized. I'm guessing due the sludging issue the are prone to have.

The engine is mounted longitudinally and as a result the sump is smaller than it should be and holds less oil. This causes the oil to sludge faster, which blocks the scavenger pipe and causes your engine to seize on the M6 on a Friday afternoon with your family and dogs in the car.

You then scrap the car after having it on your drive for ages.

I changed the oil every 3000 miles, and I bought the car with full service history. Didn't make a difference :(

Ahh I see! Well that's just not good cricket. Hopefully you get a reply soon!!

As for my rant and rave for today.. I replaced the heater blower in my fiesta this morning.. so little space to manoeuvre big cumbersome parts... I was f'ing and blinding all morning! Still my heater works now so not the end of the world!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, besides being dragged hours away by car tomorrow to watch a Christmas theater performance because of brother-in-law, I have found out he and my sis will be staying with us for 5 days next week.

Of all the times I wish I drank, right now is up there.

Archived