My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks bro.

Call me if you want to chat.

That's just a single access point, in schools and large offices you have a mesh of access points, a work laptop will also have a lot more going on with it when it's used, and used for longer, so Windows is more prone to play up. It doesn't like being left running for weeks without being rebooted, whereas if you're just browsing the web for a few hours a night it will trundle along happily hibernating for months before you need to do a reboot.

I have a mesh network in my house.

Not too much of a drama to set up.

I have a mesh network in my house.

Not too much of a drama to set up.

What do you use as the controller?

Setting up isn't the problem. 96 access points with 6 switches (3x twin cascades), all over 6 years old, over 2.5 acres and 3 floors, with over 500 devices tended to overload the system a tad.

Where do the old/obsolete things go? Dibs on projectors and the like ;)

We use a bloke called Doug who collects most of it for free and disposes of it in accordance with WEEE regulations.

Annoyingly we've just given him a load of stuff including 4 Epson projectors which really just needed a good clean and new bulbs, but due to their age it was worth replacing them with new.

Next time one blows I'll let you know. Depending on the model bulbs are £40-60.

Not sure of the features that the Epsons have, the new NEC ones are lovely, with network connectivity (unfortunately it only allows for image projection, no sound), and a USB port which has enough juice to power a Chromecast.

What do you use as the controller?

Setting up isn't the problem. 96 access points with 6 switches (3x twin cascades), all over 6 years old, over 2.5 acres and 3 floors, with over 500 devices tended to overload the system a tad.

I have Ubiquiti WAPs and one of their POEi switches.

It is all controlled by logging onto an html site built into the switch.

If you use them in a big mesh you can use a USB stick to apply global settings to all the switches.

Really simple in my house but I only have 2 WAPs, thinking of going to 3.

If I go any bigger I'll stick pfsense in an old machine.

I have Ubiquiti WAPs and one of their POEi switches.

It is all controlled by logging onto an html site built into the switch.

If you use them in a big mesh you can use a USB stick to apply global settings to all the switches.

Really simple in my house but I only have 2 WAPs, thinking of going to 3.

If I go any bigger I'll stick pfsense in an old machine.

Pfsense is good, I was testing it as one of the replacements for our aging Threat Management Gateway server for it's web filtering and anti-spam/virus email abilities. Unfortunately the company I work for have no one else that knows any thing about it so they've instead put forward a new CISCO ASA with a FirePower module at about £15K. Even using a 3rd party device like Fortinet would be better, at least their offering also handles spam a lot better than the school's current McAfee and only costs £6K over 3 years.

In other grrr news, a while ago I ordered a GoPro helmet mount from Shapeways and wondered why it hadn't arrived yet. Found the shipping email with tracking link for UPS. Apparently they tried to deliver it on the 21st, didn't leave a note, and it's been at a local shop since then, a shop I was parked outside earlier today, and apparently the last day of collection was the 3rd March, but there's no tracking info saying it's been sent back so I'm going to head there in the morning and hope they still have it. *fingers crossed*

*suitcase*.

I tried to turn on 2 factor authentication on my Amazon account today.

Whilst doing so I was locked out for "unusual activity".

As part of the protocol my pending orders were cancelled.

Including the new PSU I need for tomorrow.  The one that is now not coming.

Seriously Amazon? Signing up for two factor authentication over a VPN triggers an account shutdown?  I have never failed a Captcha or an emailed verification code.

Idiots.

Everyone recommends improving your online security and yet when you try to log on to anything through TOR and a VPN nothing bloody works.

Morons.

Nearly 3 hours at a resturant just to eat with sis and grandparents.  Food was burnt and overcooked, and the dinner talk was miserable.

Get home and realize I have to set clocks forward.

There also was a game today across state, first one of the year iirc.

English architecture.  Why does it have to be so *fruitcage* bland?  It's so miserable.  Even in the areas near me with average houses that cost £1M+, the new houses that are popping up are just so incredibly meh.  I get wanting to make the most out of plots but I'm talking big plots here.  Madness.

English architecture.  Why does it have to be so *fruitcage* bland?  It's so miserable.  Even in the areas near me with average houses that cost £1M+, the new houses that are popping up are just so incredibly meh.  I get wanting to make the most out of plots but I'm talking big plots here.  Madness.

Remember the survivorship bias in action - There were plenty of *fruitcage* awful buildings from all historical periods, but only the best survived!

I go to the hospital to vist my dad the other day. I ask this tech who I think is majorly attracted to me "did you make any overtime this week because of the wind storms?". She tells me that she still doesn't have any power. But what takes me aback is she runs 4 feet from her computer to tell me really fast.

Slow down, turbo.

Archived