My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you know how HDMI is an industry standard?

Yeah. 

Turns out there's more than one type. HDMI 1.0 is the 'base', 1.4 added support for 4k res at 30hz, and 2.0 added 4k res at 60hz.

Turns out, also, that there's a new standard for the cables to comply to, as well. 

as in, all of the cables i've got are base spec, and are preventing me from outputting at 4k on my new TV from my newly upgraded HTPC.

wankers.

Also there are five or six different cables.

Standard HDMI plus mini HDMI which my laptop has and nobody else does.

There is Micro HDMI which uses a USB Micro B connector and a format called MHL Mobile High Definition Link.

You also get HDMI over Thunderbolt 3 which is a USB type C connector and Thunderbolt 2 which looks like a mini Display Port cable but isn't compatible with that standard.

All of those types of HDMI use slightly different communication protocols (except normal and mini) and might be 1, 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 which I am not sure if you can get it yet but you will need it to run an 8k display.

Basically (and I hate to day this) Apple have the right idea.

The sooner every cable in the world is a USB Type C the better.

However, if I was charging thousands of dollars for a laptop I might put more than one of the *fruitcage*ers on there.

Yes.

USB Micro B is garbage.

USB C is reversible, more robust and can cope with more power so you can charge a laptop from it.

It also has a tonne more bandwidth, enough to run multiple monitors and send inputs in the other direction.

The normal USB Micro B is just USB 2.  If you look for USB 3 Micro B it has a stupid growth on the side.

Find a dentist. Could be an infection or abscess.

Well, duh. I'll have to.

Another "fantastic" bit o'news, the German LARP shop is taking the . I reminded them about my order for the second time now (after they initially announced in December that it will be delayed because the shipment of leather bracers will arrive in February), and the bracers shipment has been delayed AGAIN.

*fruitcage* it. I'm ordering elsewhere.

Why is it that, at certain days, nothing can interest me but a social talk with a female pretty face? I'm basically dying for some attention and positive feedback. Acknowledge me, pretty female person!

It's not how I live my life, just once in a while this urge rises. I dunno, testosterone level swings, perhaps?

I know what'll come later. Regret of what my noisy piehole produced during such a time... Thank god I'm not drunk.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

On Friday my computer died.

After spending Saturday trying to diagnose it I realised the MoBo (MSI Z170a Gaming M5) was dead and bought a replacement ASRock Z170 OC Formula.

I fitted it on Sunday night but ran out of time to run it up.

Last night I tried to boot into Windows but could not.  I became frustrated due to not having an Ubuntu disc nearby.  I was trying to reinstall the driver for my NVMe M.2 drive but what was left of Windows could not read from my USB DVD drive.

Today I got an old SATA DVD drive out of the attic and got the disc running but kept getting blue screens.

On inspection I was getting POST codes indicating that my RAM was dodgy.  I went to PC World and bought replacement RAM.

Now I can boot to a Windows disc but the installation on my drive is still corrupted.

However, with new RAM the system is stable enough to reinstall the NVMe driver.

Finally I boot into Windows.

I can do nothing however since none of the USB controllers on the motherboard have a driver.

I plug a PS/2 heyboard in and use that to navigate about the install trying to get a driver.

I keep getting blue screens so I disable Hyper Threading and all but one core because I don't have the proper motherboard driver.

I use the keyboard to install the drivers from the disc that came with the new MoBo.

Since I am using a keyboard only (I don't have  PS/2 mouse) I was unable to stop the disc installing Norton, Chrome and the Google toolbar.

I get the drivers installed, clean all the *suitcase* off my computer and reboot.

All is good.

I go back into the BIOS and reactivate HT and the other cores and I get a series of blue screens.

When the motherboard died it took the RAM and 3/4 of the processor with it.

What a worthless piece of whit.

Looks like it will cost me over £700 by the time I am back up and running.

How irritating.

I think that must be what happened to my PC when it died a few years back. When I ran out of money to try to fix it I'd replaced the motherboard, PSU and RAM all with no joy. CPU was next on my hit list, but no funds.

When they go, they really go...

Yeah, I did nothing.

It was mildly overclocked but nice and cool.

It worked on Wednesday night and didn't work on Thursday night.

Bums.

I contacted Scan(.co.uk) from whom I procured the equipment and they said to RMA all the components.  They will check each individually on their test benches and then contact the manufacturer of each to obtain replacements as necessary.

The motherboard and processor have three year warranties and the RAM has a lifetime warranty.

The problem is that in the case that they are in the warranty then I will be given a replacement.  Not too much use when I have already bought replacement parts for all of them.

I guess I might be selling a PC soon eh?

So close to just giving up and buying a complete Ryzen 7 1800X based system.

Pretty much the only things that stopped me were:

No X370 boards have three M.2 slots

I would then have a spare, useless Z170 OC Formula motherboard

and

There is a rumored 16 core, 32 thread Ryzen based processor coming at some point.

I got burned by not waiting for a 1080ti, I'm not getting burned again.

Archived