My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I specifically went up an additional level in a multistory car park to park in a space on a free level.  I come back to my car and someone parked right next to me.  On a level that was pretty much empty.  And on the other side of them was one of those huge concrete supports.  So they squeezed themselves in when there were loads of easy spaces.  Some people are very odd. 

You park in your beautiful, freshly repainted Skoda Octavia MK1 vRS at the literal opposite corner of the car park from the entrance to ASDA.

Then some filthy breeder parks their snot-filled, 7 seat, germ smeared Vauxhall Prolapsed Uterus STi right next to it and then allows their unwashed little ASBO holders to repeatedly smash their doors into the side of the car while they go into the shop alone.

This happened to a fellow member of the BriSkoda forum.

The car's owner was uninsured and although they have the video from the shop's security cameras the civil case for the damage is somehow still hung up in the courts after 4 years.

apparently, during the 30 minutes of vigorous hammer (fnar) of putting in the new groundspike for my new rotary washing line, I both created and then popped a blister on my hand without reasling.

I have now realised as i went to get the new rotary washing line and somehow left a bit of blood on the packaging.

also it's at an ever so slight angle. 

Just been talking to someone on a discord server. We were talking about Bitcoin, Etherium and all that.

Casuall mentions that he has 87 whole bitcoins in his 'wallet'.

Currently that works out to around £218,000.

What the *fruitcage*. 

That's over 80% of the value of a house I looked at today.

In his *fruitcage* savings.

what the flying *fruitcage*. 

Lucky bugger. Must have got in early when they were cheap.

A few years ago you could mine your own bitcoins for next to nothing with a cheap graphics card, or buy several to the £.

If you got a bunch of them back then, you'd be set for life.

Yup.  Not getting on board with BTC is a serious regret of mine.  I mean, who would have thought this dumb thing would blow up like it did. 

A $5 investment made in 2009/2010 would be worth around $20M today I think.

I know but $20M.  That's *fruitcage* you money heh. 

Sure, you would be driving an Aventador/whatever but think of all the cool stuff you could do.  I''ll have to make my millions the hard way heh.

Eh, whatever.

Be happy with what you have, don't look to others.

Money doesn't make you happy, you'll just be miserable in a nicer car.

True, but I'd rather be miserable in a Tesla than a Fiat, in a 8-bed mansion than a rented bedsit, etc...

I guess it is easy for me to be satisfied with the things I have when I have had it so much harder.

I slept rough for a time and I spent years where the only things I owned would fit in one bag that I kept packed.

I could be gone in minutes.

Like the Littlest Hobo, except people liked him.

Now I have almost everything I ever dared to dream about just from having a normal job.

As time goes by I imagine it will get easier to be childless.  Or not.  Whatever.

I could be dead tomorrow, who even knows?

I think what I am getting at is that time spent envying the things other people have is time wasted, it makes you miserable and doesn't get you anywhere.

Perhaps spend that time doing something that will get you the things you want.

For me, it's not really time wasted thinking about that kind of stuff.  It's just every now and again when I read about BTC for instance, in the back of my mind I'm like 'damn' and then get on with stuff.

So I see what you're talking about.  I guess some people spend an unhealthy amount of time and energy thinking what if.  As you say, that is better spent working on your goals.

I think that each and everyone of us has regrets. We choose our path and live with the consequences that goes with that path. Here's my take:

I'm in my late 50's. I never got married. I never had kids. There are times that I regret that decision. I see young couples, pushing a pram, holding youngsters by the hand as they walk down the street, or laughing and giggling as they have fun in the park. I get wistful when I see that. Then there's the other side of the coin. Marriage costs money. Kids eat up the cash as well. You're always broke because the kids need new shoes. They 'play up' in the supermarket  because they don't want to be there. You drive a rubbish car because the wife says you must have a 'safe' one. Your life isn't your own.

I made my choice and (all things considered), I made the right one.

This got bloody deep.

Anyway, took Mrs Tink to see the house we liked but had half written off due to price, in the light of what the mortgage advisor said it's tantalisingly close, only 5K more than what they thought the upper limit would be.

Now to find near enough 20K for deposit, and stamp duty, and legal fees etc etc, whilst Mrs Tink phones them tomorrow to see if we can get an offer in principal, whatever that is...

That's basically them asking you for your net household income and then multiplying that by 5/6/7/whatever their system says which will be the amount they will lend you. Some wiggle room in that though depending on your relationship with your lender.  I.e. years using them not whether you've banged them heh.

After that, you get the Spanish inquisition. 

Archived