My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Or you can make a safebox on your property.. Like a big metal box, bolted to the floor with an open padlock. Postie puts parcel in box, locks padlock, bobs your uncle.

Or you can make friends with the postman, when living at home I always got parcels as the school my dad worked at was further round on the route, so if no one was around at home he's drop it there.

I sat a brutally hard exam yesterday, and am well ###### off with how I did compared to the amount of work I put in. Masters level advanced quantum mechanics ftl :(

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't as simple as having a lockbox though. Most parcels I get need to be signed for so they can't simply just leave it. Work isn't an option for me either.

Agreed.

A lock box? As pointed out, what about signatures, anyone attempting delivery, who doesn't have access to the box or if it's not big enough to fit the parcel? It's also cost prohibitive. You couldn't build one that wouldn't get broken into. Not in my area. They'd just have it away on the chance there was a fiver in it!

You can (like me) make friends with the postie, but if dhl do the delivery, how will your friendly postie sort that one out?

There is no 'simple' answer. You have to find a solution that works for you. As said, for me, this is first choice spec del & never city link.

Greg.

My friend's lockbox has never had a problem, unless there has been deliveries from two companies on the same day at different times (the first one locking the box).

You can also request to have parcels delivered to neighbours.. I have this done both at home and at uni, although I get along with them.

My dad got lots of odd deliveries all the time, so pretty much all delivery companies, bar parcel farce, delivered to the school or neighbours if we were out.

The other alternative is to get a paid for mailbox. Myself and a mate had one whilst we were at Uni and running an Airsoft society. Costs money so if you don't get many deliveries it's maybe not worth it but I remember it being relatively cheap.

The other alternative is to get a paid for mailbox. Myself and a mate had one whilst we were at Uni and running an Airsoft society. Costs money so if you don't get many deliveries it's maybe not worth it but I remember it being relatively cheap.

How does that work & how much does it cost?

Greg.

I have an Aramex Shop and Ship account for in Saudi. Basically for $35 dolla they set up a postbox in the UK and the US that you have stuff sent to and they then send that to my nearest Aramex office that I registered at (Al Khobar). Obviously I pay for shipping to Saudi from the US or the UK but it isn't too bad. Worked out cheaper than Royal Mail, arrives 4-5 times as fast aswell and doesn't have to go through Saudi Post.

errr probably the same sort of thing. A post box you can have stuff delivered to that you then go and pick up.

Youre not at hull are you? My mate had the same exact exam yesterday and was a pain in his backside too!

Nein, Sheffield uni.

Lucky my exam tomorrow is a lot less mathematically rigorous, and I can use words and not bra-kets to describe systems..

...annnnd now my garage has developed a breaker-popping electrical fault. Popped home to find the power off and the fish tank dangerously close to the 14C mark...

Its something to do with the misty rain today or maybe the snow melting from Sunday, because I pressed the breaker and twice it popped immediately. Left it a while, pressed it and it took nearly a minute to go. Thars water in them thar lectrix.

Don't worry about that.

Electrics and water get on like a house that will be on fire...

I don't have any problems with postage.

I always specify RM or parcel force.

Parcel force know not to even bother trying to deliver to me, they leave it in my local PO right away.

RM, know I'll never be in either, I asked the guy to not even bring the parcel out with him, he just leaves a docket and I go get it on my way to work.

International stuff is even easier, specify EMS then go into the parcelforce depot before I even get the letter and pay the duty.

Of course every now and then something goes wrong and it infuriates me...

• 3 weeks later...

NHS, regardless whether it's in Poland or the UK, is a bunch of *albatrosses*. A week ago, the doc gave me a week off work with the diagnosis of "viral infection". After a week of sitting at home and taking the prescribed meds, I still feel *suitcasey*, so I go to the doc again, this time another one, who says I'm all right. Well, I'm far from *fruitcage* all right, you stupid *badgeress*!

...so now I'm sitting at work, trying not to fall asleep. If I won't feel better after the weekend (and I guess I won't), it's most probably another sick leave for me, no matter how much I'll have to yell at those hacks they call "doctors" here.

NHS, regardless whether it's in Poland or the UK, is a bunch of *albatrosses*. A week ago, the doc gave me a week off work with the diagnosis of "viral infection". After a week of sitting at home and taking the prescribed meds, I still feel *suitcasey*, so I go to the doc again, this time another one, who says I'm all right. Well, I'm far from *fruitcage* all right, you stupid *badgeress*!

...so now I'm sitting at work, trying not to fall asleep. If I won't feel better after the weekend (and I guess I won't), it's most probably another sick leave for me, no matter how much I'll have to yell at those hacks they call "doctors" here.

Hey, they are bussy, you had your go.

Spend some research time on the net. Self diagnose. You know it makes sence. You know how you feel & actually care. Explaining that to some one who don't, is probably harder than cruisong a few med sites to see what's up & how to sort it. ;)

Once you think you know what it is, go back to see the doc, tell him what you reckon. Saving valuable time & energy all round.

Get well soon. :D

Greg.

Remember that GPs are the least qualified of any NHS Doctors - and the pass mark in most exams is only 40%. Therefore there is a 60% chance that any given GP has no idea about whatever is wrong with you. The more doctors you see, the more likely it becomes that one of them will actually know something about your condition.

But "viral infection" is not a diagnosis, anyway. *WHICH* virus? :rolleyes:

Puts me in mind of this idiocy over "Swine 'Flu" - diagnosis over the phone by operators with no medical qualifications whatsoever, just a list of symptoms and if you have more than so many then you've got "Swine 'Flu". Never mind the fact that most of the symptoms listed are generic and almost any virus will make you display them, from a cold to Meningitus to the early stages of Ebola.... :rolleyes:

Had to rescue some stranded girl guides today.

They had gone on a trip to find something called Sand Roses and the bus driver (*fruitcage* knows why they decided to go into the desert in a coach) got stuck on a track that had a sand drift go over it. We saw the coach in the distance and went over and basically the driver hadn't a clue what he was doing and got it bogged down. Between us we managed to get everyone back to safety and a helicopter was sent out to spot for the coach so they could recover it!

Had to rescue some stranded girl guides today.

They had gone on a trip to find something called Sand Roses and the bus driver (*fruitcage* knows why they decided to go into the desert in a coach) got stuck on a track that had a sand drift go over it. We saw the coach in the distance and went over and basically the driver hadn't a clue what he was doing and got it bogged down. Between us we managed to get everyone back to safety and a helicopter was sent out to spot for the coach so they could recover it!

Bus drivers are just stupid :P

So are some passengers:

Yesterday, first run of the day. Woman gets on, wants a £1.70 fare and only has a fiver. I said "I cant change that, I only carry £3 in float, its all in 5p and 10p coins, and I can't give you all of my float".

She actually HAS the correct fare with some huffing gets it out of her purse.

She shouts over her shoulder to another person waiting for another bus "This bus service is ****"

I just o.O for the moment and tell her when she gets off that the next time I'm driving that bus, she can wait for the next one.

People... bus drivers do not HAVE to give change. Its a courtesy, not the law. And we can refuse passengers entry for any reason, or no reason at all. Be polite, or prepare to walk...

Man that is random.

All i have had is an ex claim that she can't have a single solid relationship because of how it ended with me and her, add to this we split up what 2and a half to 3 years ago?!!?

'FireKnife'

Women. Can't live with 'em - can't kill 'em... :rolleyes:

Women. Can't live with 'em - can't kill 'em...

Well you could but i might have to visit where you live if i did to hide ;)

But i can't be that harsh.

Though it is random, especially after 3 years and the fact that both have us have moved on to other relationships.

'FireKnife'

My ex contacted me the other day, turned things upside down again. I'd just about got used to the way things were - it wasn't any more happy, but I was used to it. Then she decided to drop me a line....

Why?

To see if I still had enough money in my account to cover the cheque I'd left with her for the money I owed her.

Thanks, Babe.... <_<

I owe her money because I was unemployed during our relationship and she spent a lot of money because of me. Money she can ill afford to lose, being a poor student.

Unlike my *previous* ex who seems to have no intention of paying back the £4000 she owes me, I'm not a scumbag and I pay my debts.

Archived