My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a splinter off a lolly stick!

In all my life it's never happened before, even though I've often joked about how stupid it is to make lolly sticks out of wood.

My tongue is bleeding really badly! It hurts. :(

I'm not part of the sue the buggers culture but am a bit aggrieved. I've half a mind to phone up the 'have you had an accident at work or at home that wasn't your fault' bloke/bird, just for a laugh.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Greg.

PS. Simon. :huh: No wonder you are getting your name changed. :D Let me guess, your real name is Simminderjiterickijj.

Nah, boring old Christopher Simon White (or Wascavige, depending which paperwork I want to use :P ). I HATE my name.

Christ is a great name mate. It's a bit out of fashion because of the fuzzy's but historically, very strong. You can't go wrong with a name like that. ;)

Any way, the bleeding has stopped now.

People ringing me after 3 AM.

Not on, happens at least once a week. Now I don't sleep well and am usually sat reading until the late hours of the morning so I have told certain people I don't mind (those in different timezones), in addition to that, people who have slept in the same room as me may also know that. But if you are neither of the former it is just downright rude to ring someone at 3AM.

Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe Nestle (or whoever) are trying to take over the world but I got a splinter in my tongue off a Feast the other day.

I had exactly the same chain of thoughts:-

1) OWWWW!

2) Hmmm, surprising this hasn't happened before really.

3) Who the f**k decided it was clever to make lolly sticks out of wood anyway?

Anyway, todays moan:-

Stupid computer users.

Just spent an afternoon reinstalling Vista on my sister-in-laws laptop....

....and then burning YET ANOTHER bloody disk full of all the drivers it needs.

Is it really SO hard to keep the OS disk, drivers disk and system restore disks in the laptop bag so I don't have to hunt around the internet for the same stuff over and over?

Also, while I'm at it, why do these people do the same stuff over and over?

Oooh, a box popped up saying there's a virus on my PC and they were good enough to link me to a bit of software that removes it but now, for some strange and obviously unrelated reason, my PC has stopped working properly.

Why do people need the Google toolbar, Yahoo toolbar, Bing toolbar, Amazon toolbar, Vuze toolbar, AIM toolbar all at the same time?

If they're installing them without realising, surely they must at least notice that the bloody screen is getting smaller and smaller until it's like looking at the internet through a letterbox?

I swear, I'm gonna start password-protecting the Admin account on her PC and only giving her a limited account if it happens again!

Who the hell rings anyone at that kind of time?

In the last two weeks? One was someone who was quite upset over something fairly serious, one was one of my mates ringing me to tell me he had finally lost his virginity , while still in bed with the bloody girl (that one annoyed and amused me), another was a girl who has come back from a foreign study year or something and wanted to say hi and know what I was doing, that one annoyed me very much (though the underlying motive, I suspect, kind of ellevates it a bit).

Gah! Just been on the phone for TWELVE MINUTES trying to get a return label for a mis-sent appliance part. The guy on the other end was a yardie and I could hardly understand what he was saying!

I was on the phones at work once and a guy was placing an order on the phone, no biggie, except he had the thickest yorkshire accent, or indeed any accent I've heard, and trying to understand him was very hard, at one stage he was giving me his post code and I could not make out what this letter he was trying to say was, in the end I said "ok, so just to confirm, that its H.." "NO NOT H, ITS &*^^", it was pretty stressfull!

See, they really should just teach the phonetic alphabet to everyone. (although it's not that hard, come on people! :rolleyes: )

Doesn't really matter about accents, if you spell things out in the phonetic alphabet, no two letters should sound alike.

But no, I get some moron on the phone asking how to spell something, I reply "Whiskey Yankee Tango Hotel Echo November Sierra Hotel Alfa Whiskey Echo" only to have them go "What??"

On a related note, the people who try to spell things "S for sugar, A for apple" etc.... Jesus sodding Christ, learn the phonetic alphabet!!!! It's not hard!!!!!!

Sorry, just kinda a thing with me, having been a Signals Instructor for several years and worked on phones for several more - I've heard everything you can think of.... :headbutt:

BTW - "I" is India, NOT Indigo!!!!! :angry2:

You had me at Whiskey, I would very much like to subscribe to your newsletter and attend discussion nights.

Where shall we meet, or should I say "Meatball Earlobe Engage Tickling?

See, they really should just teach the phonetic alphabet to everyone. (although it's not that hard, come on people! :rolleyes: )

Doesn't really matter about accents, if you spell things out in the phonetic alphabet, no two letters should sound alike.

But no, I get some moron on the phone asking how to spell something, I reply "Whiskey Yankee Tango Hotel Echo November Sierra Hotel Alfa Whiskey Echo" only to have them go "What??"

On a related note, the people who try to spell things "S for sugar, A for apple" etc.... Jesus sodding Christ, learn the phonetic alphabet!!!! It's not hard!!!!!!

Sorry, just kinda a thing with me, having been a Signals Instructor for several years and worked on phones for several more - I've heard everything you can think of.... :headbutt:

BTW - "I" is India, NOT Indigo!!!!! :angry2:

I used to live in Whiskey Yankee Tango Hotel Echo November Sierra Hotel Alfa Whiskey Echo.

I think they should make lolly slicks out of liquorice, no splinters off liquorice and it's delicious.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, Liquorice is the devils poo....

I'm originally from William How Item Tare Easy Fox Item Easy Love Dog

:mellow:

You kind of ruined your own rant there. Lots of people don't know/understand the phonetic alphabet so when talking to them people say 's for sugar', etc. How is that bad? It is much clearer than just saying the letter, is easier for the other person to understand and doesn't end with them saying 'What?'

What's not to understand?

That's was the whole POINT of the rant - people who don't use the correct phonetic alphabet annoy the HELL out of me.

While the "s for sugar" BS might *work* it would be easier for everyone if everyone used the correct phonetic alphabet, which was carefully selected so that no word used for a letter sounds like one of the others. That's the POINT of it. The phonetic alphabet should be taught in schools to everyone, worldwide. It's not a "military thing" it's just good sense.

If something's worth doing, then do it properly.

I had P.E at school. Obviously most sports teachers are *Ubarflock* so I actively tried to do my worst, and I got kicked out of it at gcse level, but the point remains ;)

edit

That wasn't P.E at gcse, that was sports studies which was a waste of time anyway.

Archived