My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that they shouldnt be punished. But at least at first there should be SOME attempt at rehabilitation.

And to be honest if you see a lot of those folks coming out of courtrooms after a crim is sentenced for their offspring's murder you will find as often or not they say they forgive him. What then?

I think you'll find that I suggested that the victims have a significant input into the sentencing. If they forgive the guy, then fine, some community service or whatever. If not, rope is cheap. It doesn't bring their loved ones back, but sometimes vengeance *IS* justice.

If you act monstrously towards a monster, then you risk becoming a monster yourself. If someone condones a horrible crime, then is it not the same if that crime is committed upon a criminal?

Frankly, I couldn't care less what "crimes" are committed against convicted criminals. Let 'em get a taste of their own medicine, see how it feels. But, by definition, anything done legally by those carrying out sanctioned punitive measures is not a crime. No one here is condoning crime - but what I do not wish to condone is criminals getting away too lightly with their crimes and victims not receiving justice.

And yeah, maybe I would think differently if I was a victim. But would you think differently if you were falsely accused of a crime and were tortured to death? Think about that. Think about the worst pain you have EVER felt, multiply it several times, and extend it over a long period of time.

You simply do not have ANY understanding of what you are trying to condone.

Sorry, I'm not sure where I suggested torturing anyone, to death or otherwise. :waggle: If I was falsely accused of a crime, why would anything happen to me until I was proven guilty? Which, I presumably wouldn't be, since I was falsely accused... :unsure: What I'm trying to condone is justice, and crime prevention. How do I not understand this, exactly? Seems to me that you're the one who's not understanding what I'm trying to get across here.

Outlawing doesnt work. Those people would get more and more desperate, and more willing to lash out most evilly towards the society that shuns them. Just like in many cases it shunned them during their childhoods when they were neglected or abused which caused them to turn to crime in the first place. If suicide is a cry for help, what is criminality?

Okay, so you're suggesting that criminals are not already more than willing to act evilly towards society? Not sure where you're coming from here - that is pretty much the thing which MAKES them criminals in the first place. Stop making excuses for criminals, whatever happened to them in the past, they are still thinking people with a choice. They CHOSE to break society's laws and prey on decent people. Simple as that. That choice should have serious consequences. And don't give me this "no alternative" *badger*s - there are plenty of organisations that will help homeless people, people with no money, job, mental problems, abuse victims, or whatever. All they need to do is make a choice to seek help. Many hundreds do. The rest would likely be criminals regardless of their background, and deserve to be treated accordingly.

You'd very soon end up with a siege mentality. What if that person walking towards you is an outlaw? What if he isnt? Oh my god, call the police - that man looked at me strangely so I think he is an outlaw! Next thing you know very very innocent people are being targeted and harrassed.

Again, you're assuming that this is not already happening. Decent people already have this mentality. See a group of hoodies in a dark side street and tell me you don't assume they're a threat to you. The idea is to take away the benefits of society's laws and protection from poeple who are already ACTING like outlaws. They can't have it both ways - you don't want to follow society's rules? Fine, then you forfeit society's protection. Instead, we run rings around ourselves protecting criminal scumbags and hampering crime-fighting efforts with ridiculous legal loopholes and whatnot.

I'd sooner see innocent people inconvenienced for a few minutes by police officers if it cleans up the criminals from the streets than see those innocent people mugged, beaten, raped and murdered because we can't be bothered to do what is needed for effective policing.

Hey look, and I managed to post, yet again, without insulting you. This well reasoned adult debate just might have something going for it. :unsure:

Dan Gilliam, notorious scammer and general odious little scrote, returning to zeroin and announcing he'll start legal proceedings against anyone who says he's ripped people off.

That could prove very expensive if he tries it. Especially if someone he has ripped off says it. Doubt he'd last long anyway.

You ARE taking the **** right? I just want to be sure.

It was more of a response to your point about crossing the street 'cos someone looks dodgy and innocents being ostracized. I'm not advocating Sharia law, but for someone who's repeatedly offended and shows no sign of rehabilitation...let everyone know who they are. Humiliation? That's the point. 'Sides, I think it was Hedge who made the point about punishments actually need to become a deterrent instead of an incentive.

Hedge - it is obvious we are never going to agree. I will simply say that in my opinion you are not aware of the social aspects that help to cause criminality, and you seem to be of the opinion that our justice system is fair and works flawlessly. It does not.

And fair point - you never mentioned torture. That was AmateurStuntMan. You were the one who was condoning an outlaw system. Which still doesnt work.

I'm just glad that neither of you are politicians, nor are ever going to be :P

I don't think I'd be a very good politician. I have the handicap of actually being honest.

Well.... More or less honest. :unsure:

I am certainly not of the opinion that our current legal system - I simply cannoy call it a justice system, since it fails so consistantly to deliver anything approaching justice - is fair. And it is extremely flawed. What I advocate is a redress of the balance away from favouring the criminals and a return to safeguarding "normal" law-abiding people, giving victims justice and punishing criminals. Harshly. I have no sympathy for people who choose to harm others and break laws for their own gains.

Social issues certainly need to be addressed where they exist, but people need to stop using these problems as excuses for criminal behaviour. Plenty of people grow up in pretty grim circumstances and go on to lead normal, legal, harmless lives. Why? Because they made a choice to do so - for whatever reason. Maybe an early brush with the law set them straight. Maybe they are blessed with a strong sense of morals. It doesn't matter. What matters is that everyone had the same choice, and the people who choose wrongly have no excuse for their actions.

It seems strange to me that anyone could hold a point of view that criminals don't deserve to be punished for their crimes. That victims of crime don't deserve justice or protection. That society as a whole should not be protected from the depradations of criminal-minded individuals...

But each to their own, I guess. For my part, I'm quite glad you're not planning a career in politics - or law enforcement - also. :)

Yeah I've been doing some digging- it's pretty difficult and expensive to try and sue an ISP, and nigh on impossible when you've been actually proved to have ripped people off. I think he's confusing the police not being able to prosecute him with getting his name cleared.

What is possible is sueing an individual in response to their posted comments. I get fuzzy on this but I believe Libel laws apply in this case. So the ISP or forum should be immune but if he fills out the paperwork correctly, the ISP would have to provide information covered under the correct section of the DPA.

There have been a few cases where, I think it was Mansfield football club sued a couple of posters on their forum for comments they'd made.

Of course though, he'd also have to show he hadn't ripped anyone off which could be rather difficult while the defendant would only have to show that what he had posted was accurate, (not quite so hard).

All fun and games.

Have you noticed though, that some of the people behind the crimes that affect the most people actually come from very good backgrounds?

The insider traders that cost companys billions and bring widespread financial misery for example.

Or Harold Shipman for another?

I'm not for protecting criminals or making their lives lush at all. I just believe in fair and correctly managed punishment.

Maybe criminals need justice more than the victims do. But justice comes in many forms, and many criminals need that justice before they become criminals. With that being impossible, then the correct form of justice is an attempt at rehabilitation.

Yes, some people are naturally ****ed up. But we owe it to our own society to try and help at least offenders by accident or unfortunate circumstances a chance to come good.

Justice is more than just punishment :)

I think what set me off was a tour of a prison I did.

Their accommodation was an order of magnitude better than the stuff I lived in when I was in the army.

My parents paid thousands to have me boxed up in worse conditions than that when I was at boarding school.

It is unfair.

OK, torture was exaggeration but I think there is something to be said for a prisoner's basic accommodation being an 8 x 10 bare concrete box with a concrete plinth to sleep on.

You get a rubber mattress which is taken away if you misbehave and a pastel pink dishdashah to wear.

You eat your meals cold, out of a cardboard bowl with your hands.

There are chain gangs and such.

I think we could save a load of money out-sourcing a lot of that type of incarceration to foreign places.

*edit*

What has angered me today is emulsified diff oil.

DSC00056%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Children. Bear with me.

I have always said "Kids are great, as long as theyre someone elses".

So Im washing my Guzzi Griso. I've just polished the paintwork on the Guzzi Cali.

Next thing I know, I'm swamped by kids from a family up the street. They are talking to me etc, thats cool.

Then they start going in my garage going "COOOOL" at everything.

Then the start climbing. On. My. Bikes.

GRR, I think and try to carry on. Then theyre climbing on the one Im washing. Damn, I am way too patient.

My back door is open, one starts going in. I OI! at that and lock the door.

Finally, I get the Griso washed, and they start messing about with my hosepipe/sprayer. I end up shutting it off at the tap valve.

Put them away...then realised Ive left the Griso key in it. I go out to the garage for a second... and hear voices. Next I know, I come out of the garage, as some of the kids come out of my house!!!!

---

How, as a non-parent, should I have coped with that situation? I need to point out that I am not of the same ethnicity as these kids, so probably gave them more leeway because I don't want to appear racist etc.

The short answer is: You grit your teeth, say nothing but the next time the kids come calling, learn from experience and control the kids before they control you. Oh, I got this from some one who is a parent (I'm not).

New rant. Diesel engined cars that are badly maintained. I'm not talking trucks or vans, but privately owned cars. I like to potter about on my bike (Hey, my Enfield is now Legally on the road) with my visor up (I like to feel the wind on my face). What really grips is cars that belch out black sooty smoke when I'm behind them. I'm still running the bike in, so I'm in no position to over take. The particulates that the exhausts chuck out is almost blinding! Oh, as a side rant, I hate bugs. Pootling around the back roads of Devon, there seems to be a spieces of insect that likes to fly right into motorcyclists eyes!

Children. Bear with me.

I have always said "Kids are great, as long as theyre someone elses".

So Im washing my Guzzi Griso. I've just polished the paintwork on the Guzzi Cali.

Next thing I know, I'm swamped by kids from a family up the street. They are talking to me etc, thats cool.

Then they start going in my garage going "COOOOL" at everything.

Then the start climbing. On. My. Bikes.

GRR, I think and try to carry on. Then theyre climbing on the one Im washing. Damn, I am way too patient.

My back door is open, one starts going in. I OI! at that and lock the door.

Finally, I get the Griso washed, and they start messing about with my hosepipe/sprayer. I end up shutting it off at the tap valve.

Put them away...then realised Ive left the Griso key in it. I go out to the garage for a second... and hear voices. Next I know, I come out of the garage, as some of the kids come out of my house!!!!

---

How, as a non-parent, should I have coped with that situation? I need to point out that I am not of the same ethnicity as these kids, so probably gave them more leeway because I don't want to appear racist etc.

The short answer is: You grit your teeth, say nothing but the next time the kids come calling, learn from experience and control the kids before they control you. Oh, I got this from some one who is a parent (I'm not).

No way.

Tell them the minute they cross the line.

Your house, your stuff, not theirs. If that makes you into the local grumpy old man, so be it.

They need to respect your boundaries.

I think parents expect the world on a plate just because they have kids.

I have lost count of the number of time I get barged out of the way by ignorant morons with strollers.

The way they expect to be able to barge to the front of queues.

I don't know whether I am more angry because I can't have kids.

Still love the look on their eyes when I call them "*fruitcage* breeders"

No way.

Tell them the minute they cross the line.

Your house, your stuff, not theirs. If that makes you into the local grumpy old man, so be it.

They need to respect your boundaries.

Ah, we're talking 'past tense' here. Guzzi didn't do anything at the time and can't really do anything about that incident now. I mearly pointed out that he should learn from it and do what you suggest the next time the kids show up.

a few rants for today.

-I dont watch the news so that I can be updated with what is going on in the sporting event on the other chanel. I really dont give a *suitcase* who is winning.

-There is a distinct lack of decent video games which forces me to play the very select few that are available.

-Within the very few games, there are certain games that I dont even know why I bother playing anymore as they are so infuriating that I end up rage quitting matches more often than I actually play them, but I am too tired to go do anything else because...

-Why do builders have to start hammering/ diging/ sawing/ have an overly loud conversation at 8Am, and then have 2 hours silence at 9Am?

-If you arent responsible enough to arrange for someone to come and switch your house alarm off when it goes off at 6AM on saturday for no reason, you shouldent be allowed to have one.

-Neighbours who knock other neighbours bikes over and break lights off of them whe pulling out of a space, and dont appologise, causeing bike owner to come over to our house to complain for an hour very late at night after we have all been busy since the early hours of the night.

-People who just wont shut up no matter how many subtle hints you give that you dont want to talk to them forcing you to be polite and make an excuse to leave meaning you dont get to talk to the person you actually wanted to talk to.

there you go interwebs, sort that lot out.

Yeah, I was too forgiving. I'm a sucker :(

At least I now have bike covers so they can't just jump on them, and I will be stricter next time. Mate of mine said "You think you're going easy on them, but you aren't doing them any favours by letting them get away with things". Tru dat yo.

---

House alarms have to stop sounding after a certain amount of time by law. If it doesnt, they ought to be reported. As if the useless ****-toads that call themselves police will do anything about it, but there you go.

And...why was the neighbour complaining to YOU if someone ELSE knocked their bike over? Its not your problem. Give some sort of excuse and get rid of them :D

Archived