My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the regulation time an alarm can sound continuously is 20 minutes. However, it can stop after twenty minutes then start again when the motion sensor gets tripped again 5 minutes later... And again... And again.... <_<

Maybe - here's a crazy thought - the alrm *might* be doing its job, and you (as a good neighbour) should investigate a bit before calling the poliec to report a break in at the property. Perhaps saving someone's stuff from being stolen or even helping some thieves find a cushy billet at the expense of Her Majesty's prison system....

I merely meant having a look to see if you can figure out where the alarm is coming from and any obvious reason for it. Phoning the police and saying "I can hear an alarm" is a good way to be ignored. But if you can give them definite information - "The alarm is going off at number X Some Street, I can see a broken window and signs of movement," then you may well get blues and twos in your street before too long.

-Why do builders have to start hammering/ diging/ sawing/ have an overly loud conversation at 8Am, and then have 2 hours silence at 9Am?

I'll go for that one too. Sort of.

Just moved out for the first time (last thursday), enjoying the few days of 'new home' activities with the misses.

And when I'm trying to enjoy a relaxing sunday morning sleep. The chap accross the street decides at 7am that he wants to de-weed his drive and the pavement out the front of his house....by dragging a metal spade along the flagstones......managed to do it incredibly loudly too, if I hadn't been so annoyed I'dve been impressed at the sound output of the spade lol

I made my opinion known in typical stoic British fashion...I tutted and slammed the bedroom window shut loud enough for him to hear :P

Had a simmillar experience a few years ago with the councill digging up the pavement at 8am on a sunday morning, just after I'd finished a night shift. However my responce was a little different. Lets just say it involved fireworks and their on site portaloo.

Surely phoning the council to make a noise complaint would have been a better option (obviously you'd have had to wait until Monday when the office peons were there) in the long run? The workmen are just doing their jobs - and it's not like people don't *want* the work doing, in most cases it's long overdue. But getting the pneumatic drill out early doors on a Sunday is a bit off, if you ask me. <_<

TV *fruitcage* LICENSING

You cannot cancel a TV license without providing evidence you have moved out or died...

Having no evidence of either meant I had to pay them another installment while waiting for some final bills.

BT - I cant cancel my contract without a charge. My contract which is apparently a year long, even though I specified I would only need 9 months and they confirmed on the phone it could be canceled anytime with no charge.

If I don't cancel the poor sods moving into my student house cant have internet/phoneline installed.

You'd think with the hundreds of thousands of students about that both these situations would crop up enough not to be a hassle.

Just stop paying them - they're quick enough to cut the phone/internet off when they don't have the cash in their greedy little paws, so meh.

My rant today is a familiar one.

You may remember I whined about Airsoft Buddy, the HK retailer, screwing me over on an order I needed to play this CQB thing in Kent on Saturday.

Well I contacted a genuinely good airsoft retailer, Tactical Quartermaster, who helped immensely.

They had it all in stock, and were happy to wait over the weekend 'til the funds from the Airsoft Buddy refund winged their way back into my account.

Postage is £2.00 Recorded 1st Class, add a fiver for Special Delivery (guaranteed next day before 1PM), which I did.

So, I wake up at 06:45, pre-empting the devious ParcelFarce bastards usual tactic of attacking at dawn.

About an hour later, I'm in the front room, reading the paper and munching on toast with marmalade.

A van pulls up. I look at the clock - 07:40. "This could be it" I think. Letterbox goes. Van drives off.

That whole process took less than 10 seconds. At no point was there a knock on the door, or use of my very obviously-placed doorbell.

Of course, when I go to the front door, there's the note... "Sorry, you were out... We attempted to deliver...".

What a *fruitcage* *albartroth* of a driver. It doesn't count as an attempted delivery unless you ring the doorbell/knock very loudly and wait, IMO.

Ben.

They've done that to me with royal mail and parcelforce as well. If it happens again ring up the depot, and tell them their driver didn't deliver the package properly. That's got my package brought back to me before with PF, and at Royal Mail they kindly kept the depot open for five more minutes so I could pick it up same day.

I've rung them up before and had a good shout at them - one time they made the driver come back to my house with my package and apologise.

I don't like doing it, because I know the usual ParcelFarce driver, as well as the postie. They're both good as gold, and it won't have been either of them doing this, but all the same, I don't want to cause them any trouble.

Ben.

Just stop paying them - they're quick enough to cut the phone/internet off when they don't have the cash in their greedy little paws, so meh.

My rant today is a familiar one.

You may remember I whined about Airsoft Buddy, the HK retailer, screwing me over on an order I needed to play this CQB thing in Kent on Saturday.

Well I contacted a genuinely good airsoft retailer, Tactical Quartermaster, who helped immensely.

They had it all in stock, and were happy to wait over the weekend 'til the funds from the Airsoft Buddy refund winged their way back into my account.

Postage is £2.00 Recorded 1st Class, add a fiver for Special Delivery (guaranteed next day before 1PM), which I did.

So, I wake up at 06:45, pre-empting the devious ParcelFarce bastards usual tactic of attacking at dawn.

About an hour later, I'm in the front room, reading the paper and munching on toast with marmalade.

A van pulls up. I look at the clock - 07:40. "This could be it" I think. Letterbox goes. Van drives off.

That whole process took less than 10 seconds. At no point was there a knock on the door, or use of my very obviously-placed doorbell.

Of course, when I go to the front door, there's the note... "Sorry, you were out... We attempted to deliver...".

What a *fruitcage* *albartroth* of a driver. It doesn't count as an attempted delivery unless you ring the doorbell/knock very loudly and wait, IMO.

Ben.

Damn, and I thought that only Polish posties are such knobjockeys. Once I had to wait until Monday only because some spacktard forgot to drop the note in my mailbox on Friday. Apparently it was against the regulations. Oh *fruitcage* you and your *fruitcage* regulations you dumb mother*fruitcage*ers.

Yeah I had a similar one with Royal Mail, I paid for a Saturday delivery (£12!!) as I don't fancy having parts for guns show up at my work during the week :P

I checked the tracking number at 11:30am on Saturday and it said the item had been delivered. Like *fruitcage* it had, I was up since 7 as were the other 4 people in the house and none of us signed for anything.

Sometimes the lazy bastards just put it in the bin (yes, well good idea I know!) but it wasn't there, or round the back or with a neighbour and no "sorry we missed you" slip either.

I'm betting that the driver marked it as delivered on Saturday so it didn't flag up on the system as a late delivery, he probably wanted to clock off early and watch the footie.

Package arrived Monday and when I signed for it I dated it too, lazy slack posties :ranting2:

First Buses in Leeds

Seriously, what the *fruitcage*. What an absolute set of Wankers.

Firstly, they cut all the bus services for half of Sunday and the only warning given was an A4 note posted on the bus stop the day before. Which is not adequate.

Secondly, I had got back from Aberdeen and attempt to pay with a jock note and am told they don't accept it. *fruitcage* off mate, it's legal currency. I know the law states that a buisness may reject payment on any grounds, but FFS, it's the last bus for four hours.

Thirdly, they are responsible for some of the most opprobrious driving attrocities I have ever seen. I understand that a bus can't jam on it's brakes all of a sudden, but I was nearly hit by one the other day when it drove clean through a red light. It hadn't just turned red though, it had been a good four or five seconds since it turned.

Fourthly, since when did we have to start flagging down busses. I was diligently waiting at the bus stop the other day and the bus just drove straight past me because I didn't wave him down. I have lied in this city for 17 of my 22 years and I have never had to flag a bus down before this year and now all of a sudden it is expected.

Fifthly, certain buses don't just come late some of them have taken to not turning up at all.

Sixthly, what is the point of having a bus to the city center, terminate in the middle of chappletown, dump all it's passengers, and then procede to drive back empty to the bus station WHICH IS IN THE CITY CENTER!

Fourthly, since when did we have to start flagging down busses. I was diligently waiting at the bus stop the other day and the bus just drove straight past me because I didn't wave him down. I have lied in this city for 17 of my 22 years and I have never had to flag a bus down before this year and now all of a sudden it is expected.

You could try telling the truth instead? Maybe the drivers know you lie so won't stop for you*. tongue.gif

*If anyone is offended by this, please read the underlined section above. This in no way suggests Desolation mkII is untrustworthy, he just made an amusing typo.

First Buses in Leeds

Seriously, what the *fruitcage*. What an absolute set of Wankers.

Firstly, they cut all the bus services for half of Sunday and the only warning given was an A4 note posted on the bus stop the day before. Which is not adequate.

Secondly, I had got back from Aberdeen and attempt to pay with a jock note and am told they don't accept it. *fruitcage* off mate, it's legal currency. I know the law states that a buisness may reject payment on any grounds, but FFS, it's the last bus for four hours.

Thirdly, they are responsible for some of the most opprobrious driving attrocities I have ever seen. I understand that a bus can't jam on it's brakes all of a sudden, but I was nearly hit by one the other day when it drove clean through a red light. It hadn't just turned red though, it had been a good four or five seconds since it turned.

Fifthly, certain buses don't just come late some of them have taken to not turning up at all.

Sixthly, what is the point of having a bus to the city center, terminate in the middle of chappletown, dump all it's passengers, and then procede to drive back empty to the bus station WHICH IS IN THE CITY CENTER!

Okay... in order:

1. It isnt in order, I agree. It should really be posted on all the buses in a prominent place. But as far as I know there are no legally required SOPs, so all they will say it "Well, we put notices up". Unfortunately, I dont expect they will give you any joy here. D&G Coach & Bus who I work for post notices on all buses a week in advance, if possible, of any problems or diversions.

2. It should have been accepted. The rule I have always known on Firstbus Stoke on Trent, Arriva Midlands and D&G is "If it has the Queens head on it, you take it". If it doesnt run through the depot cash reader, we would put it in a baggie we put any annulled tickets and notes in, and drop that into a safe.

3. No excuse for him there. We are trained to expect lights to change at any time, even if we think we know the sequence. That guy was obviously on a promise or a dare!

4. Sorry old chap...you are in the wrong there. You ARE supposed to flag the bus down or make some indication that you want it. Around Stoke, it is almost a requirement, or we don't stop - the company tells us not to. CERTAIN stops in some city centres are 'priority stops' (the name can change depending on the city) where a bus which serves that stop MUST stop even if there's noone there. These will be marked differently in some way to other stops.

5. Breakdowns happen. Service shortages happen. Driver shortages happen. As long as the lost mileage is reported to the transport office of the council, that's the way it is, sadly. Oftentimes, companies will have 'sacrifice' routes so that if a bus or driver is required elsewhere, they will sacrifice that service. USUALLY this is a short variant of a regular longer route, but not always...

6. It happens like that sometimes, especially if the bus is required to be in a certain place to run a certain service.

In Stoke we used to have the service 101 which, in order to aid reliability, had a bus travel light from Hanley to Stafford (16 miles), service to Hanley, service to Stafford, light to Hanley (16 miles). This was put in place to cover for the regular service running late with any traffic hold-ups.

Buses near me are utter *suitcase* - its not the drivers though, most of them are cool, its just the service is really unadequate. For example, I live about a 15 min drive away from salisbury, and about a 30-40 min drive to southampton. If I were to bus to salisbury, it would be a 5 min walk to the stop, then a 30 min bus ride. Or, I could cycle for 15 mins to a train station, get a bus to southampton in about 20, and for cheaper. Nonsensical.

My other rant today is the tossers from the "university of life." I was working behind the till, when it ran out of the receipt roll, so I changed it, for the first time, but put it the wrong way round yadda yadda. Some bloke in his 50s said "let me guess, he's just done his a-levels", to which a co worker replied "actually, he's doing a degree", he replies "good to see he's learning practical skills with that then", so I told them that luckily for me, my degree wasn't in till receipt changing, which prompted my boss to laugh out loud, and for him to look a bit shocked, and walk out of the shop, empty handed. Result :D

Just seems a bit *suitcase* that if you choose a career that doesn't happen to me manual labour, you are chastised for not having attended the "university of life", regardless that I currently work 9 hours a day 5 days a week for a pretty low wage to help fund my studies. Think I'll attend the university of life, by living, and in the process, go to a real university aswell.

mong edit

Archived