My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

A great course of action would to be to let the bailiffs take what they like. Then pursue it with the council. Seeing the bailiffs faces, as they bring your stuff back will be priceless. & I'm sure that in todays nanny state culture, you would be more than adequately compensated for your trouble. ;)

I don't have £1800 woth of stuff, and they'd be able to take my computer. I'd only be compensated to the value of the items sold at Auction, which means my computer, which is worth about £1000 and will definately not go for even a fifth of that at Auction, and has all of my data on it, completely invaluable stuff.

So no, that's a *fruitcage* stupid idea, mate. Cheers anyhow.

I should not have to deal with the Bailiffs. I have NOT broken any laws. I do NOT owe any money to anyone. This is entirely down to a failure in the council's ability to read a certified letter from my University confirming that I am a full time student, not just ONCE, but FOUR *fruitcage* TIMES over a period of 5 months.

So, to hone it to none to fine a point: Edinburgh *fruitcage* city council, useless *fruitcage* oxygen thieves who couldn't *fruitcage* their way out of a soggy *fruitcage* paper bag.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I'm not very familiar with Scottish laws, but surely you should have had to appear in court before having bailiffs sent 'round to take your stuff? :unsure:

In which case, you could surely present your evidence to aforementioned court and walk away with no further troubles?

They can take anything. Except cooking equipment, bedding, clothes, stuff like that. Basic necessities for living. The VCRA would seem to make it illegal for them to sell RIFs, however, since they would presumably not be able to supply proof that they were airsofters.

Now, I'm not very familiar with Scottish laws, but surely you should have had to appear in court before having bailiffs sent 'round to take your stuff? :unsure:

In which case, you could surely present your evidence to aforementioned court and walk away with no further troubles?

In the case of a Summary Warrant, the defendant does not have to be present. Joy.

They can take anything. Except cooking equipment, bedding, clothes, stuff like that. Basic necessities for living. The VCRA would seem to make it illegal for them to sell RIFs, however, since they would presumably not be able to supply proof that they were airsofters.

Could they not sell to airsofters?

It's kind of a grey area, the VCRA makes it illegal to sell, manufacture or import RIFs. Technically, purchasing them is legal for anyone. It would therefore seem to that the seller needs to be able to prove they are covered by the skirmisher's defence, or one of the other defences or exceptions under the VCRA (such as filmmaking). It's all very confusing. :blink:

The extra hassle that they would have to go through to ensure they were able to sell any RIFs on legally would surely make them an unattractive prospect for seizure. Which isn't to say they wouldn't take them, but they might well find themselves unable to move them on and recover any money from them.

1, I don't have £1800 woth of stuff, and they'd be able to take my computer. I'd only be compensated to the value of the items sold at Auction, which means my computer, which is worth about £1000 and will definately not go for even a fifth of that at Auction, and has all of my data on it, completely invaluable stuff.

2, So no, that's a *fruitcage* stupid idea, mate. Cheers anyhow.

3, I should not have to deal with the Bailiffs.

4, I have NOT broken any laws. I do NOT owe any money to anyone. This is entirely down to a failure in the council's ability to read a certified letter from my University confirming that I am a full time student, not just ONCE, but FOUR *fruitcage* TIMES over a period of 5 months.

5, So, to hone it to none to fine a point: Edinburgh *fruitcage* city council, useless *fruitcage* oxygen thieves who couldn't *fruitcage* their way out of a soggy *fruitcage* paper bag.

1, Hide it round a mates, or even better, always follow good back up procedures, that way you can get a new one on the cheap & download all your critical stuff.

2, I know, I was only having a laugh. ;)

3, Agreed. So don't. Tell them to fock off & go about your business.

4, Exactly. Thus, tell them to fock off & forget about it. Let them knock at the door all night. Just keep it locked & don't bother to answer it. Better still, lock it up & stay at a pals for a while. Take precious stuff with you.

5, That's a real shame but a great way to put it. Unfortunately, public sector workers are often 'bottom of the pile' & wouldn't last a minute in 'real' jobs. :o Hence the enormity of their mistakes & complete lack of care or remorse. It would be better to pay the sort of wage that would attract 'true' professionals & hold them accountable. Then, buy out the dead wood & pay them to stay at home.

Greg.

I think all of this assumes the bailiffs will be successful in entering the property in the first place- I get the distinct feeling they wont be. If they do come a-knockin' though, shove a copy of the letter from the Uni under their nose ( through the letterbox, make sure all the other guys in the flat know to not open the door ); see what the bailiff' responce is to that...

Bailiffs will still be under order to collect on the debt. There not there to prove you dont owe them anything.

I work a security job where i basically cover sickness/holidays. I get a phone call every week asking me what shifts i can work the following week and its rarely the same each week and my boss complains when i have plans for the shifts he wants me for next week, well sod you ive had this planned for a lot longer than a week. Just because i didnt book holiday time because its only 3 days at the weekend. *tortilla chip*

It's kind of a grey area, the VCRA makes it illegal to sell, manufacture or import RIFs. Technically, purchasing them is legal for anyone. It would therefore seem to that the seller needs to be able to prove they are covered by the skirmisher's defence, or one of the other defences or exceptions under the VCRA (such as filmmaking). It's all very confusing. :blink:

I think you might have that backwards.

Anybody can SELL a RIF.

There's no legal restriction on who can sell a RIF at all.

However...

It's the seller who gets prosecuted if they aren't selling to a person who's legally entitled to buy a RIF so it's the sellers responsibility to ensure that they're only selling to an entitled person.

So...

In the case of RIFs seized by bailiffs, they would be legally entitled to sell them but they WOULD have to ensure that the buyers were entitled to buy them.

I'm fairly sure that the text of the VCRA states "sell, manufacture or import" as being prohibited activities. :unsure:

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if-

a he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

b he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

c he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

d he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

Which would therefore imply that purchasing is unrestricted.

I'm fairly sure that the text of the VCRA states "sell, manufacture or import" as being prohibited activities. :unsure:

You're right in so far as they're prohibited activities but you're not considering that there are exemptions, such as those for airsofters, film-makers and museums etc.

From a common-sense POV, think of the system we currently have in place with UKARA?

How does it work?

It verifies that BUYERS are entitled to purchase RIFs.

There's nothing to ensure sellers are entitled to sell RIFs.

That's because ANYBODY can sell a RIF.

The confusing part is that the seller IS guilty of a crime if they're not selling to an entitled person.

Which would therefore imply that purchasing is unrestricted.

Again, consider the system we actually have in place.

It's BUYERS who have to be UKARA registered in order to convince retailers they're entitled to buy RIFs.

It's a rather shifty bit of legislation because it requires Buyers to jump through the hoops but it puts the blame on sellers if an ineligible person actually DOES obtain a RIF.

Incidentally, another reason it works this way is because if selling RIFs WAS restricted the government would, potentially, have every ex-airsofter demanding compensation for RIFs they could no longer sell.

As things are, there's absolutely nothing to stop anybody in the UK from selling a RIF though.

They just have to make sure they sell them to an entitled person or they ARE guilty of a crime.

Hmmm....

I see what you're saying there. And I didn't mean to create yet another discussion on VCRA interpretation. <_<

Me, I tend to take what I see as meaning what it says - puts me way out of the running for a career in law or politics. :unsure:

UKARA is clearly set up to protect its member retailers from prosecution. In many cases, airsoft retailers are - or were, at least - players themselves, I simply assumed that the VCRA stating that selling is a crime requires that the seller be eligible for the skirmisher defence AND selling to someone who is *also* eligible for the defence, but I guess that's too complex...

Well, sorted out the issue with the council, but they've told me the Bailiffs might be sending me a "revised bill". Which I will be setting on fire, sending back to the bailiffs with a note telling them to go and get *fruitcage*ed.

Well, sorted out the issue with the council, but they've told me the Bailiffs might be sending me a "revised bill". Which I will be setting on fire, sending back to the bailiffs with a note telling them to go and get *fruitcage*ed.

If the revised bill is for anything more than £0.00 then I'd be very tempted to look into legal action.

Does your local NUS have someone that can help or a freindly lecturer in Law?

Dumb *fruitcage* chavs who can't keep their dogs on proper leashes.

My jack russel terrier puppy just nearly got his head bitten off by a massive boxer dog who slipped his leash and went straight for him.

My dog got bitten in the leg and I got bitten while getting the other dog off him. Might be facing a £50 vet bill for fixing up the pup and currently patching myself up with the contents of my first aid kit. Just glad I had a tetanus shot a couple of years back.

Archived