My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happened in America so more likely '12 guage' and 'fire it at her' then drive away.

However this wouldn't be the best situation, so yeah number plate and a trip to the police / DMV would be better.

'FireKnife'

Bearing in mind that - as far as I'm aware - car insurance isn't a legal requirement in America. Although I guess it he tracks the culprit down he could always sue her directly...

I just though, as said, it can be very basic, just enough for road legal.

However i bet in the US you don't get screwed over with £1000 a year ($1600) just because you are under the age of 21 for insurance?

I am so glad mine is down to £530 and that is over 21 and 2yrs no claims, projections for next year (i always check when i renew) are for sub £450 next year so i am happy with that.

'FireKnife'

Actually - mad as it sounds - TPFT can be *MORE* expensive than fully comp... <_<

It's true, it's happened to me a couple of times.

FireKnife - don't celebrate too soon. Last year, my insurance renewal came and the premium had TRIPLED for no reason... :blink:

I hadn't made a claim or had an accident, hadn't changed jobs or moved house, nothing. So why did the quote go from about £600 to over £1800??

Why, when I was phoning around to find a new quote, was I given one by a broker with a £1000 Premium and THREE THOUSAND POUNDS excess on a £2000 car? <_<

Why was the best price I could find for my car, with 9 years' no-claims, still £120 per month? <_<

So... Yeah...

I find that each year i switch companies as often i get a big £300 a year drop that way and it only means a little hassle with ringing them up 5 times to get the proper documentation. But hey 5 phonecalls or £300 i know what one i am going to choose ;)

However my first year was £1400.

Perhaps you need a downgrade Hedge :P

'FireKnife'

I still check around every year, but once again Admiral have come out cheapest again, especially important with 3 cars.

My rant: Railway ticket barriers and people's inability to use them. Seriously? How difficult is it to know that you need the right ticket in your hand (not your pocket or handbag) when you get to the barrier in order to insert it into the slot, and how hard is it to find the slot when it's got a sloping entrance guiding you in?

Xaccers most people have enough trouble going into a doorway without bouncing off the sides, putting a thin strip of paper in a slot is just beyond them.

Think the gene pool needs a little chlorine once in a while.

Or just do what i do, wait until no-one is looking a hop the ticket machine, amazing how easy it is to get away with.

'FireKnife'

This might be lost a bit on the younger audience, but does anyone remember when we didn't need automatic barriers to check people's tickets on the way out of the station?

While I'm at it, remember when you didn't actually need a travel ticket to get on or off the platform? Or when the trains weren't massively overcrowded and overpriced, and even if you buy a ticket you struggle to get the seat you've paid for??

No, I don't either...

Personally i just don't use trains unless i have to. I have a car, push bike and a set of feet that work so really i can get anywhere i want. When i didn't have the car i used the bus, longer travel time but cheaper and got me where i wanted to go rather than within 2 miles of it.

'FireKnife'

Outside rush hour, or the slower trains during rush hour from MK to Euston and back often have plenty of seats left, though the journey can take an extra 40 minutes or so.

What is crazy is that after 7:30am a Virgin train stops to let passengers off, but unless one of the London Midland trains has been cancelled, they don't let anyone get on!

What is crazy is that after 7:30am a Virgin train stops to let passengers off, but unless one of the London Midland trains has been cancelled, they don't let anyone get on!

But aren't Virgin either intercity and destination trains (i.e. all get on in London and get off at a city) or full of poncy morons that you wouldn't want to go anywhere near anyway?

Not having been on one, only seen the people that come off them i can't comment much more.

'FireKnife'

I like trains. Only ever had problems on the diesel line out of Lime Street Station (Liverpool, and thats trains being delayed by over two hours, when they should run every half hour).

I would get on any train if James Woods was the man telling you which station is coming up and how long you had left, till the next one. That would make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

But aren't Virgin either intercity and destination trains (i.e. all get on in London and get off at a city) or full of poncy morons that you wouldn't want to go anywhere near anyway?

Not having been on one, only seen the people that come off them i can't comment much more.

'FireKnife'

Nope, several stop at MK and only take 30mins compared with 50 for the fast London Midland, plus you can often get one of the jump seats by the disabled loo that not many people know about, and as it's in 1st class, free WiFi and much better mobile signal (even working in tunnels).

If I finish work late, I can often catch a northbound Virgin train and get home at the same time as usual (though if i get away a few minutes early I get home 30 mins early with LM).

Unfortunately the latest VT I can get in leaves at something stupid like 7:04 so I'd get to work just after 8am. If the later one let us on I'd get to work bang on time.

Seems odd - if the train is stopping, letting people on isn't going to cause much of a delay over just letting people off... :unsure:

I can sort of understand why they do it, passengers waiting for the 7:30 and 7:55 LM trains would most likely jump on the VT that arrives in between, making it very overcrowded and so increasing complaints from passengers, but also, the financial share between VT and LM would become unbalanced as VT would be taking more passengers than they were being paid for.

More passengers than they're being paid for? Financial balance??

See, this sort of BS is why the way the railways are being run is a joke.

Firstly, it should never have been privatised at all - you can't run a decent transport service AND make a profit at the same time. Hence why service is poor and prices are high, routes deemed unpopular or unprofitable are closed down, despite the fact that there may be no alternative public transport options.

Secondly the idea that you buy your tickets from company A in a station owned by company B who then give some money to company C or D or E who actually run the trains using tracks owned by company F and signals run by company G... Well, you get the idea... It's just crazy... :blink:

If you were going to privatise the railways, surely it would have made more sense to go back to the original regional railway companies?

Well it is sort of regional with the different franchises.

Another reason for costs is the unions, they've worked out if they target one of the smaller franchises and get them to capitulate, the other franchises are more likely to give in. Instead of going to them with a plan to negotiate, the go stating they will stike unless they get their way. This is why train drivers are on 40K for a 4 day week with 8 weeks holiday a year.

Archived