My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

You still gets *Ubarflock* clad in Lycra pootling along at 15 ish mph on the road, holding traffic up without a care in the world, and it properly *fruitcage*s me off,

Ah, the DOOSHBAGS with too much gear and not enough common sense going where nobody wants them and causing trouble. As an airsofter you should be used to that, I think.

To add to the rant against cyclists, what ###### me off to no end is the fact that some of those morons apparently have no idea what the bike path is for and merrily ride on the sidewalk, even if the bike path is ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE *fruitcage* STREET. Seriously, what the *fruitcage* is this *suitcase*. The fact that the city had the bright idea about putting rent-a-bike stations here and there doesn't help things one bit, because, guess what, the stations are usually located in places WITHOUT ANY BIKE PATHS NEARBY. But idiocy of the City Hall is already legendary, so it doesn't surprise me.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lycra clad brigade ###### me off something chronic too. They give the rest of us who don't act like a stuck up *suitcases* a bad name

The other thing p*****g me off today is the fact that I went to bed earlier than usual and feel more knackered today than usual

Edit: oops, naughty word got past the filter

It's a 40 mph limit, and alongside has a cycle path, and next to that, a footpath.

You still gets *Ubarflock* clad in Lycra pootling along at 15 ish mph on the road, holding traffic up without a care in the world, and it properly *fruitcage*s me off, especially as the cycle path was put in especially to make it less dangerous/increase traffic flow. The road is one long sweeping bend, so even if there is an overtaking gap, you can't see it.

It is illegal to ride a bike on the road when there is a cycle path present. It is illegal to ride a bike on the pavement. It is illegal to go through red lights on a bike. It is illegal to ride a bike at night without at least one steady (non-flashing) light at the front and one at the rear. I could go on.

No-one does anything about people on bikes breaking these laws, or any other ones, because unless you can actually stop them at the scene, you've got no way to know who they are.

Yes. They should.

But how will that ever work?

Especially given that I've seen a police car pass a car driving without lights on at midnight without doing anything to stop them, they're hardly going to bother stopping cyclists and checking if they have insurance...

Updates to the ANPR system fitted in the police cars. The system can then be mostly automated to remove the problem of the copper not stopping them.

If fines and taxes were actually collected, there wouldn't be funding shortages in this country.

Cyclists should definitely be insured and traceable.

I've seen a few times, bikes scraping a car as they undertake them at lights, and then *fruitcage* off down a side road, the car driver not being able to do a thing as they are boxed in.

I'm not getting at all cyclists here, just naughty ones.

As fireknife said about white van drivers, not everyone is the same. I drive one and am very courteous. So much so, that I only go down the road I mentioned in my last post, as my usual route home is for vehicles no wider than 6 feet. But other van drivers never adhered to this either, which also annoyed me when I had my car.

The route I use now actually adds 10 minutes onto my journey, but I do it because it's right. I could go the other way, and never be prosecuted, but it would be wrong :)

Although I do live up to my stereotype when passing said cyclists, because I swear profusely at them out of the window, usually giving a healthy toot on the horn too :P

I've seen a few times, bikes scraping a car as they undertake them at lights, and then *fruitcage* off down a side road, the car driver not being able to do a thing as they are boxed in.

That probably wouldn't happen if cars gave bicycles the room they need on the road. A bike is as wide as the person riding it, at minimum the width of the handlebars, NOT the width of the tyres like most drivers seem to think.

I lost count of the number of times I was knocked off my bike when I used to cycle to and from the office simply because cars didn't give enough room.

The real problem isn't cyclists, or drivers, or anyone else. It is EVERYONE using the roads - well over 75% of them are doing it wrong and shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle because they are selfish, stupid and inconsiderate at a minimum, often dangerous into the bargain.

That probably wouldn't happen if cars gave bicycles the room they need on the road. A bike is as wide as the person riding it, at minimum the width of the handlebars, NOT the width of the tyres like most drivers seem to think.

do cyclists not have any spatial awareness then? if you can't fit through a gap, don't try to! that's what everyone else has to do. if i'm driving down a narrow lane and another car is approaching i'll act cautiously and usually look for a spot to pull over to let the other car by. much of this is down to my desire to preserve the integrity of my paintwork... which is a worry that cyclists do not have, and therefore rarely seem to take into consideration.

i'm not saying that all cyclists are evil, nor am i saying that all motorists are saints

They're probably thinking "*fruitcage* this knob in his Audi not giving me enough room, I'll just squeeze past and if his flashy car gets scratched, tough."

Me, I used to knock off wing mirrors if cars were in the bike lane trying to make a single lane with a bike lane and plenty of room into a two lane road with no space for anyone.

Personally I find the lack of space given by some drivers is more of an issue on open roads at higher speeds. Passing me leaving less than 12 inches of space can easily create enough turbulence to either blow me into the verge or out into the path of the car behind

I was talking about cars fully stopped in traffic. It doesn't matter how wide the road is, whether there are more than one lane etc (unless as you said, the car is in a cycle lane), if the car is stopped, and a cyclist tries to undertake through a gap too small, they are in the wrong. They are not adhering to the Highway code, by undertaking in the first place.

Doesn't matter if it's a twat in an Audi, a vicar driving the god bus or a chav in a tarted up shitbox, undertaking is illegal. Cyclist is in the wrong, full stop.

Again, I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, but I truly hate the "I'm a cyclist, so lanes and traffic lights have no effect on me" attitude...

Me, I used to knock off wing mirrors if cars were in the bike lane trying to make a single lane with a bike lane and plenty of room into a two lane road with no space for anyone.

then you my friend, are a massive, steaming *Ubar*.

if you've got that much of a problem with someone take it up with them directly, don't vandalise their hard earned property and run away. if you absent mindedly blocked a supermarket aisle that i was trying to get through my automatic reaction would not be to find your house and throw a brick through the window. how *fruitcage* fair does that sound!?

people with your attitude make me sick.

I was talking about cars fully stopped in traffic. It doesn't matter how wide the road is, whether there are more than one lane etc (unless as you said, the car is in a cycle lane), if the car is stopped, and a cyclist tries to undertake through a gap too small, they are in the wrong. They are not adhering to the Highway code, by undertaking in the first place.

Doesn't matter if it's a twat in an Audi, a vicar driving the god bus or a chav in a tarted up shitbox, undertaking is illegal. Cyclist is in the wrong, full stop.

Again, I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, but I truly hate the "I'm a cyclist, so lanes and traffic lights have no effect on me" attitude...

You state quite clearly that the case I mentioned whereby cars are in the bike lane isn't what you're talking about - but it was what *I* was talking about, so your reply doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

then you my friend, are a massive, steaming *Ubar*.

if you've got that much of a problem with someone take it up with them directly, don't vandalise their hard earned property and run away. if you absent mindedly blocked a supermarket aisle that i was trying to get through my automatic reaction would not be to find your house and throw a brick through the window. how *fruitcage* fair does that sound!?

people with your attitude make me sick.

If you love your "hard earned property" so much, drive it responsibly and nothing bad will happen to it. Also - it is fairly direct, since they're IN the car being an ignorant, selfish, inconsiderate *Ubar* at the time.

You know what makes me sick? People - presumably like you - who think it's okay to knock down cyclists and not even stop, or stop and give their details then lie to their insurance companies to get out of paying for the damage they've caused, or generally think their car gives them the right to do whatever they like. Park in bus lanes, park in cycle lanes, park in disabled spaces or *across* disabled bays or other parking spaces, stopping on the street across people's driveways or too close to junctions and a whole host of other things because they're simply too selfish to five a *fruitcage* about anyone other than themselves.

Maybe paying for a new wing mirror or to have scratched panels repainted would make people think again about driving and parking like a selfish *wheelbarrow*... But I guess it's just easier to blame other people instead of thinking about what you've done wrong to cause the situation in the first place, isn't it?

Ok. While I'm sure some cyclists are appalling, with running red lights, not having the correct lights, leaning on cars etc, at the same time I'm certain that some car drivers are as bad, with cutting people up, not leaving enough room, overtaking, blocking the route etc etc etc, personal attacks will not be tolerated.

FWIW I drive a car, and the amount that cyclists get away with irritates me no end. If I was to run a red light in my car I'd get points on my licence, a fine, and possibly a short stay at her majesties pleasure depending on if something awful happened. Cyclists get away Scott free and flaunt the rest of the rules of the road as well.

I'm sure a motorbiker will now step in and say everybodys awful on the roads ;).

But yes, point stands. No personal attacks or insults please. If I see any more from this point on I will delete posts and give warning points.

FWIW I drive a car, and the amount that cyclists get away with irritates me no end. If I was to run a red light in my car I'd get points on my licence, a fine, and possibly a short stay at her majesties pleasure depending on if something awful happened. Cyclists get away Scott free and flaunt the rest of the rules of the road as well.

Actually, unless there are traffic light cameras, a police car literally behind you, or you end up in an RTC, you could probably get away with it in a car too.

I'm sure a motorbiker will now step in and say everybodys awful on the roads ;).

Helloooo! :D

Yes, you're all bastards that's should turn in your licenses and get bus passes. ;)

Personally, I think everyone should have to do a mandatory year on a 50cc scooter before they qualify for a car license so they realise just how intimidating it can be.

From inside the car, you're "nipping through a gap", from the outside though it's 2 tons of steel coming towards you with unknown intentions.

To be honest every group has it share of idiots and *albatrosses* (Audi drivers, van men, motorbikers, old and timid drivers etc) and some more than most but i have met both bad drivers and bad cyclists on the road. Same as i have met *rickrolls* at work, out in the street, the gormless chavs that keep wandering around like they run the country etc. You will always have the know it alls and those that believe they own wherever it is they are and try as you might they will always find a way to get round it. The only way is total genocide but that is just wrong now isn't it :P

So complaining about them and getting into heated debates about them isn't going to help too.

'FireKnife'

Yeah, but it stops me from making bombs from my undersink cleaning products and throwing them out of my car window at people who do stupid things, GTA4 style...

It doesn't stop you, it just means you have to be more considerate of 'collateral damage'.

;)

'FireKnife'

Archived