My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... FK, you can't order a... McHotDogging over the counter... it's .. ah, nevermind. :P

Last one I walked into, if I could order the girl behind the counter I would have, though she had more meat on her than everything on the menu put together (yeah she was about a size 10, before you all start).

:P

Oh and something to add, when you are out on a date and sat next to you on the next table is a girl you once tried to, well, yeah. I explained to the other girl I was with and all was well ;)

'FireKnife'

While I'm on a roll...

Subject pronouns vs. object pronouns

Subject pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they

Object pronouns: me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them

Examples:

I hit him.

They surrounded us.

We like her.

Other examples that are correct but may not sound right:

My husband and I are grateful for the jewel-encrusted crown.

The crowd cheered my husband and me.

While I'm on a roll...

Subject pronouns vs. object pronouns

Subject pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they

Object pronouns: me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them

Examples:

I hit him.

They surrounded us.

We like her.

Other examples that are correct but may not sound right:

My husband and I are grateful for the jewel-encrusted crown.

The crowd cheered my husband and me.

The easy way to remember the correct format for those is to take the other person out of the sentence.

In your first example most people would say "My husband and me are grateful for the ...", if you take out the other person it becomes "Me am grateful for the..." and you know straight away that it is wrong.

As for the sentence beginning with a contracted slang word with an apostrophe at the start, don't do it.

Slang and colloquialisms are by their definition outside of the normal rules of grammar. If you absolutely have to use it it should always be in quotes and then you can just shift the sentence around to feel better.

Like so:

John said " 'cos I is bear wicked innit", which made him sound like he was retarded.

Furthermore I would say that 'cos is not a real word and therefore doesn't need an apostrophe.

It isn't a real contraction, it is a colloquial shibboleth. Just write is as "cos".

Also, thanks for the correction.

But the question remains is should it be captialised, as much as a colloquialism is outside the accepted rules of grammar, it's a contraction of a standard word

'cause from Because still fits the correct grammatical rules. As the Apostrophe indicated the missing "Be".

I would suggest that it should be capitalised such as

"'Cause I is well 'ard bruv!"

It's not so much, which is 'correct' as which is MORE correct?

I got one of them from the local council, said they wouldn't accept British as a nationality in case between this form and the next one in a few years Scotland gained independence :P

Made me laugh as no-one, not even Salmon is sure of what he wants out of this so called push for independence.

EDIT: This is in Scotland by the way.

'FireKnife'

*ahem*

British and proud of it.

I am Scottish and my location (and yours) says United Kingdom.

Manifestly not English though.

Hooray, you're the first person I know who was born in the area of the UK which used to be the independent kingdom of Scotland who openly acknowledges that they're British. Well done Sir. Well done indeed for having a basic grasp on reality that eludes so many others. :)

So what the smeg am I? :P

I think English but I am still not sure.

'FireKnife'

You're British.

Simples.

I had a form for the council once that had tick boxes for English, Scottish, Welsh and British.

Since a government body gives you that option, I think its therefore fine to identify as whichever you prefer.

Well, that's wrong. That council form is wrong. A person from the UK is only English, Welsh, Scottish or whatever in the same sense that someone from the US is Californian or Texan or whatever. Their nationality is still American and ours is still British. Whether you were born in London, Glasgow, Swansea, Cairo or on the moon.

I got one of them from the local council, said they wouldn't accept British as a nationality in case between this form and the next one in a few years Scotland gained independence :P

That's pants-on-head retarded. Not accepting the only correct answer to a question because some nebulous time in the future it might become wrong?

Sometimes I don't want to live in this country any more.

That's pants-on-head retarded. Not accepting the only correct answer to a question because some nebulous time in the future it might become wrong?

Sometimes I don't want to live in this country any more.

Well it would help if the Scottish people had an idea of what they wanted from Independence? It is like shouting 'revolution and overthrow the monarchy', why, what do you hope to replace it with, how will you do it, will it make anything better, will it mean we have to have a democratically voted leader or do you all get a go each day?

I for one would love to see the monarchy removed and make them get jobs like the rest of us, but it isn't as simple as it sounds as we would have to change a lot about or country in order to do it, same with Scotland and deciding what they actually want.

That is my rant, sprouting an idea and not bothering to follow it through with a cogent plan that will actually benefit people enough to make it a good venture.

'FireKnife'

Awww, diddums.

Why?

'FireKnife'

First, I'm running low on cash and it's only 11th. Second, there's a monstrous cluster *fruitcage* going on at my work. Third, I have over 20 quid worth of money stuck somewhere between my PayPal and my bank account. Fourth, I'm trying to get over 1500 quid out of a sloppy insurance/investment deal, and that's only because the bloody idiots wasted almost 200 quid of my money to date and everything hinges on their contract having a loophole I'm not quite sure how to exploit, plus the guy who advised it is just as shifty, so I have to con him too.

Though I have to ask, why are you conning people / in some shoddy insurance deal? Do you sell insurance to people that don't need it, should I ring PPI Claimback about you? :P

I was conned first. Like I said, the company has fleeced me for over 200 quid, so from almost 2K quid I have only 1.7K left. I can't even get all my money back normally, and so I have to resort to some stupid loophole caused by their idiocy. And then, I'll have to tell the so-called "advisor" (salesman in fact) to *fruitcage* off, 'cause he ain't going to get a penny from that.

Again I am very confused but hey it just sounds like a case of 'hey lets steal this guys money, oh wait he isn't as thick as we thought, damn'.

Still makes my rant of going to the shop at my work that sells our products to find that the 'broken' printer was turned off, they thought it was stuck in energy save mode <_<. Still I went, as at least two of the girls that work there I would be interested in a little time alone with ;)

'FireKnife'

Archived