My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

My team leader being an idiot.

Me: So this laptop's not got any network drivers so I can't connect to any network drives or get a driver online.

TL: OK... *types in a network drive location and looks bewildered on why it didn't work*

Me: I just said it's got no network.

TL: I know. *tries again*

Me: *face palm*

For being an IT team leader, he really doesn't quite grasp IT.

Can I have his job. I can at least actually work that out, easily :P.

But then thankfully all the guys on my team know what they are doing. It is just the rest of the mill that don't but they keep us in business.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is with great sorrow that I must announce that my laptop is in critical condition.

She has always been a paragon of stoicism but this afternoon at 1745hrs her display backlight failed.

She has been placed in a chemical coma while her surgeons examine the possibility of life saving surgery.

She remains in a stable but critical condition.

I will keep you appraised of any changes as they develop.

China Post played ping pong with my parcel for the last four months. Seriously, they were supposed to put it on a plane to Poland on September 4th, but somehow the parcel was lost for two months, then turned back to Hangzhou, then veeeery slowly sent back to Beijing, then veeeery slowly inspected by customs, then chucked out last *fruitcage* Friday.

Having had my PSU die on my PC a while ago I feel your pain. I was happy that it didn't take the hard drives with it though.

Thank you.

I am having a bad run of things.

Recently I have broken:

Bike:

Gear shifter/brake lever combo - £hundreds

Ruptured side wall of tyre - £25

Chain, this morning at 0630, 5 - 6k from home - £8

My power drill - £100

The gear lever gaiter in my car - £?

etc.

etc.

Ouch, my sympathies Stunt.

B&Q. Long story short; delivered 3 packs of handles instead of 10 (part of a big order for new kitchen draws/doors). Said they would sort it out, they didn't. I had to ring B&Q Warrington to check stock, they put 7 packs aside for me. Told B&Q St Helens and they messed me about even more. Eventually got refund for the missing 7 packs and was able to get them from B&Q Warrington. Took me ten minutes to sort out, were as B&Q St Helens had one and a half days to sort out, but did bugger all (even after numerous phone calls). Won't be shopping there again.

Because you can do it when you don't B&Q it.

As for me having to contend with the lease on my property being transfered to another leasing agent so I have to take a good two hours out of my day to dress, drive, meet, listen to rubbish and then drive back again. Why exactly it was changed I don't know and given that I hopefully wont be in said flat much longer I don't care.

'FireKnife'

I hate the staff in b&q and parent company screw fix , . Its almost like they relocated the people from Argos who have two brain cells instead of the obligatory one that most Argos staff have .. Most of them are about as usefull as a fart in a spacesuit when it comes to helping / giving advice to anybody ...

I hate the staff in b&q and parent company screw fix , . Its almost like they relocated the people from Argos who have two brain cells instead of the obligatory one that most Argos staff have .. Most of them are about as usefull as a fart in a spacesuit when it comes to helping / giving advice to anybody ...

My local b&q (s) are all great. Staff know their *suitcase*, and I've never had a problem with orders...

My wife flooded the kitchen.

Our kitchen sink has been leaking (a tiny bit) so last night I stripped the whole thing apart, cleaned it and applied new seals to all the contact points including using some silicone sealant.

I told her the sink is apart and don't run the water.

I then put a plastic basin under the sink in case she had a brain fart.

She phoned me today while I was at work to say the kitchen was flooded, I asked her how.  She said:

"I don't know, I didn't run the tap.  I did set the washing machine going before I went out though..."

I will be honest I just hire someone else to do it.

As much as I know my way around a PC and can strip down a GBB pistol without much effort I am damned if I know how to fix a sink. :P

I think that belongs in the 'Un-manly' thread.

'FireKnife'

I do plumbing and multrtrade building for a living , you would be amazed at how useless some blokes are at doing the simplist DIY tasks . Some cannot even rewire a plug .

Ok I am not that bad :P.

But I must admit if I had to I am sure I could fix some things. I mean much of it is fault finding and logic but I suppose when you have a landlord that has to pay for repairs and they just send someone round to fix it then it is easy to be lazy which I really shouldn't be.

'FireKnife'

When I was but a wee boy of 6 I was given a load of old hardback books from various publishers in the 70s and 80s, all of which were aimed at children and seemed to be about how things worked around the house and in common vehicles and machinery.

I wish they kept making those kinds of books, because the amount of people I know who have absolutely no concept of how anything works is abysmally huge.

When I was but a wee boy of 6 I was given a load of old hardback books from various publishers in the 70s and 80s, all of which were aimed at children and seemed to be about how things worked around the house and in common vehicles and machinery.

I wish they kept making those kinds of books, because the amount of people I know who have absolutely no concept of how anything works is abysmally huge.

This. So much this.

Archived