My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, why do you leave anything valuable in your car in the first place? (as you did say 'valuables').

'FireKnife'

Normally it's just my sunglasses and my work pass in there of any importance. Yesterday, I had bunged my wallet away in the centre console as a preventative measure against going to the food shack for stodge instead of eating my healthy food I made. Whilst at work, and had forgotten to take it out when I got home.

Some cars can have their remote locking systems signals / infra red remotes grabbed by the all 4 one remotes you can buy for operating your tv / video players . They have pretty good range on them as well . . The pro thiefs use a grabber which is a more sophisticated version of these .

If losing the car is the problem , use old Skool tactics . Remove coil lead / ht leads etc . The old deterents are still the most effective. . . Or use one of those cheap shed alarm . Movement detector things you can get for about a tenner they are very loud when triggered !!

Simple but effective . !!

I wouldn't say it's the car getting nicked that bothers me the most, just the fact someone could get in without setting off the alarm or doing any damage, and I. Would be none the wiser.

The shed alarm is a good idea, as long as I place it in a place it won't go off when I go in to turn it off.

Azubi, try the cops. Town seems fairly quiet tonight, they may send a car round.

Can't promise though...

Cheers for the suggestion, although I'd feel like wasting police time when I don't have anything concrete to go on.

Normally it's just my sunglasses and my work pass in there of any importance. Yesterday, I had bunged my wallet away in the centre console as a preventative measure against going to the food shack for stodge instead of eating my healthy food I made. Whilst at work, and had forgotten to take it out when I got home.  

I wouldn't say it's the car getting nicked that bothers me the most, just the fact someone could get in without setting off the alarm or doing any damage, and I. Would be none the wiser.

The shed alarm is a good idea, as long as I place it in a place it won't go off when I go in to turn it off.

Cheers for the suggestion, although I'd feel like wasting police time when I don't have anything concrete to go on.

You wouldn't be, you should see some of the calls that come in. Report it anyway on 101, it will at least put some intel on the place :)

Ok, not sure which thread to put this in but I think here will do.

Wandering past a group of people, trying to get past them to get some food at Asda for work this morning. They are clearly talking about tomorrow and how they plan to vote.

One of them said, and I quote 'oh I am taking a pen with me tomorrow as then they can't rub out and change my vote'.

I don't really think I need to elaborate on that do I? That is just plain strange. It didn't help that it also sounded like that lead to a Yes/No argument with said person telling the others 'well I am voting Yes and I am right'.

Along with the comment about how spoling ballot papers at a referendum to decide the future of your country is 'fine' this makes me realise the potential future of a country I love might be ruined by such idiots, whichever side they do (or don't) vote for. But then it also makes me laugh as to how pathetic the whole thing really is when you get down to it.

'FireKnife'

Erm, ok are you trolling or not?

Putting 'who cares' when talking about something like this is not a good way to look at it as both outcomes will affect the whole of the UK in some way or another so I think many people should care, in fact I have yet to meet a single Scottish person (aside from the one pig-headed person about spoiling there ballot) that doesn't care.

Though it has gotten down to the truly stupid last minute grabs in the news. Everything seems to be falling apart with polls that say everything from landslide wins for either side to a dead 50/50 heat. Great that it is all over tomorrow but given how some people are going on about it I can see it just dragging on and on for months afterwards.

'FireKnife'

Erm, ok are you trolling or not?

Putting 'who cares' when talking about something like this is not a good way to look at it as both outcomes will affect the whole of the UK in some way or another so I think many people should care, in fact I have yet to meet a single Scottish person (aside from the one pig-headed person about spoiling there ballot) that doesn't care.

Not trolling just a different opinion...I cannot muster enough energy to care about whatever it is that individuals do at the ballot box - distinct from the results themselves. 

edit and yes both sides are naff. Yes side seem very aggressive, no side massively under-prepared, pompous and needy.  To be fair I do not trust a single word that comes out Cam/Clegg/Miliband's collective mouth - and I'm a well spoken southern softie ;)

I suppose I expected just a bit more out of the individual person when it comes to voting on something a little more permanent than even a general election.

As for both sides being naff I couldn't agree more. If it was left purely down to the people and we got no input from either side it would be a fair better outcome for most if not all.

All the Yes / No campaigns have done is either give a voice to the idiots so they think they have a right to be up in your face about it (this sadly is mostly on the Yes side) or gieven people a sense of pomp and pride that doesn't actually reflect a single view that they have (more towards the No campaign, that one).

Though it also seems to have aggrivated the class divide too. Many Yes voters I have encountered are either lower wage or relying on the benefits system while many No voters are middle class and higher. That is probably not helping things either because one side is more prone to outbursts while the other is prone to acting superior when they don't have a need to. It really, really isn't helping.

'FireKnife'

It's purely a personal money maker for Salmond from what I gather.  Screw England. Screw Scotland.  He's in it for the money.  I have to say I would be intrigued to see how a Yes vote plays out.  Lets face it.  Great Britain hasn't been great for a long time.  IDGAF if Scotland breaks away. I don't see how they could support themselves though looking at the figures.  Probably end in a big mess.

so the police arrive and then what?

Steering wheel clamp seems an easier idea surely??

1. It lets mr dodgy *fruitcage* know the car is being watched, and should put them away from it onto an easier target. Not ideal for the next person, but meh.

2. It puts intel on mr dodgy *fruitcage*/their house. Could be a known car thief for example

3. Piece of mind for azubi that something is being done

4. Winds skarclaw up who is anti-police :P

IDGAF if Scotland breaks away. I don't see how they could support themselves though looking at the figures.  Probably end in a big mess.

This is sort of it for me just with less IDGAF.

I think it will all be a big, pathetic mess. This is a country I want to possibly spend a lot of my years in, perticularly around the likes of Edinburgh, Glasgow and with holidays away to the Highlands but if it goes independent that is it for me. Too big a chance that it is all going to go to pot and not a single 'guarentee' they have put forward is even realistic. There is a lot of Yes and No for saying 'I don't want to have Salmond / Cameron running my country' but people seem to forget we have a General Election next year and a Scottish one soon after that, they both won't be around for long if enough people want them out.

But alas it is all of about 36hrs until the voting has been done and the results tallied. I am hoping for a No win and dreading a Yes but all I can do now is vote and make my choices based on what happens. The rest such as campaign trails and voter grabbing is pointless to me anyway, I am going to vote No, have good, intelligent reasons to do so and will not have my vote swayed so time to leave it down to people to actually vote.

4. Winds skarclaw up who is anti-police :P

Oh he's anti-everyone somedays. :P

'FireKnife'

Great Britain has not been great for a long time !!

Cameron and clegg are two of the weakest / most useless leaders we have had to suffer .

The Europe vote is a whitewash so why would any other country wish to be part of it !!??

As per usual the goverments short term views and policy's have exploded back into their own faces . Only then do. They pitifully try to make amends .

Ireland was forced into the Europe thing because of Whitehall pressure and look where that's left them . .

Basically you are damned if you do or damned if you don't .

Untill we get a goverment that has balls and stands up to European laws or leaves we are in limbo land

I'm tempted but at the same time really want the kit and can't get it many places in the UK. We're taking a trip to see them on Monday from the looks of it, here's hoping it gets resolved amicably.

Just heard good things about these guys, so I'm prepared to accept its a fluke, but by heck it doesn't seem to get resolved.

Interesting.

However.

Point 1, Billions of road tax pounds.

There is no such thing as "road tax", the roads are paid for out of the general tax fund.

They have been since 1937, Winston Churchill put the change in place because he didn't want people thinking they own the road just because they pay a nominal fee.

The tax that people wrongly refer to as road tax is actually VED - Vehicle Excise Duty, sometimes known as car tax.

It is a tax on cars based on their CO2 emissions.

Bicycles don't have local CO2 emissions so they don't pay it.

Point 2, Tungsten Carbon bikes having a large carbon backpack.

My bike weighs 15 kilos, it is steel, yes there is a lot of carbon produced in its manufacture but that carbon is offset by not making journeys in my car.

A car weighs about 100 times more than that, a 4x4 up to 200 times more, that's more raw materials being pushed around by fossil fuels.

Yes, there are carbon emissions but they are orders of magnitude less than those to produce a car and cars continue to produce carbon, bikes don't (except replacing wearable items like tyres which cars also have).

Point 3, sweat shop clothing.

That depends on what you wear, just like when you are in "normal" clothes.

A quick survey of my bike clothes shows that most of them are made in Italy, Spain or Germany with some Thailand and Bulgaria in there.

I imagine my (and your) Chinese made replica BDUs and replicas are made in similar or worse conditions.  The "normal" clothes we get from Asda or Tesco similarly unethical.

I guess I see where the animator was going but why bother letting facts get in the way or a good joke eh?

Perhaps we should be encouraging people onto bikes instead of mocking them.

Half a million daily commuter journeys in London alone are by bike, imagine another 500,000 cars on the road every morning.

Bike make the road clearer.

They aren't holding up the traffic, they are the traffic.

So I saw on the news that police want to find a convicted Latvian murderer in connection with a young girl that is missing.

Here's what I wanna know:

WHAT THE BLOODY *fruitcage* IS A LATVIAN MURDERER DOING WANDERING FREE ABOUT LONDON?

Archived