My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My iPod has died.

It will not charge from an apple USB plug, nor will it respond when plugged into a computer. In fact, when I plugged it into the computer, it crashed the USB drive and left me with an unresponsive keyboard.

Incredible! Apple products always seem to amaze me.

Unfortunately both my iPhone and MacBook are slowly killing themselves and I have too many airsoft purchases on my wish list to be able to afford to replace them both! It's a tough decision whether to keep one on Apple and go with windows/htc for the other or scratch one of the airsoft projects and go with both on Apple to keep the continuity!

I'm more annoyed that this little thing that has been my trusty sidekick for a decade is now most likely going to be binned.

And even though we have an Apple store in my town, you take things in there and they look blankly at you and say that they "don't do repairs at this store, please go to Milton Keynes"

Same for the Crawley store. Just tell me to go to Brighton or London.

It's a shame when they go admittedly. My old iPod classic is still clinging in there after setting up permanent residence in my car!

Annoyingly for me my MacBook is only 4 or so years old and it has slowed right down! It's on its 2nd system reboot which makes a difference but nothing compared to new. I expected way more than that, especially with the price tag!

Maybe worth investigating an iPod repair.  Loads of spare parts and guides around.  Worth a shot if it's just going in the bin.  Always fascinating taking stuff like that apart.  Plus theres no worry of *fruitcage* it up heh.

Already looked.

It's most likely the 30 pin connector that's gone, as it was working fine until the battery died.

Said 30 pin connector is soldered directly onto the main board. Each of the 30 pins is about half a mm wide, and half a mm apart. Way beyond my capabilities.

I might just get a cheap USB drag and drop one for £5 or whatever they cost. At least I won't be in mourning for it when it goes wrong. :(

My iPod has died.

It will not charge from an apple USB plug, nor will it respond when plugged into a computer. In fact, when I plugged it into the computer, it crashed the USB drive and left me with an unresponsive keyboard.

My iPad did this just before christmas. Took it to the apple store and they simply said 'it's broken we can't do anything, wanna buy a new one?'

Seeing as it was free in the first place and I hate apple. No.

I thought the remade total recall was better than the original !!

Self respect go bye bye. Seriously that film about summed up everything wrong with modern cinema to me. They took a camp, fun, over the top gorefest with actually a suprisingly little twist at the end and turned it into a film about a douche fighting robots with little else.

Remaking a remake (regarding Little Shop of Horrors)? Bet they try to make a down and out horror, leave out the cheesy musical pieces. Steve Martin's immense in the remake of Little Shop of Horrors:- 'I shot my cat with a BB gun'. Evil *suitcase*.

Eh, the 80s version of The Thing is a remake and it was awesome enough, though the original was hardly the best thing in the world. The prequel was par for modern horror but again nothing really that special.

As for me, just a cough that is annoying me. Plus work is being a bit hit and miss, not getting told what I am actually meant to do kinda sucks *albatross*.

'FireKnife'

As long as you're not expected to produce any work at the end of the day, not being told what to is great.  I worked at a place where the boss would go on holiday for weeks which often coincided with no projects on so I spend my time steaming TV programs and reading books.  It was awesome.

Reminds me of my last job.

But at this one we have stupid 'reviews' and weekly meetings. However I also know how little everyone else does bar the odd one or two that sit in a corner and do nothing but work so I am ok enough. Plus I have managed to get myself in a position that means I have run of a few systems and if I leave then they have to take up to 6 months to train the next guy.

Plus might get a change of role back to proper in house IT support which is just so much better for me.

'FireKnife'

The Thing (1981) worked a lot better than the original, due to effects and having better actors (it's also one of my favourite movies ever made). The prequel was better than most horrors out at the time (as in SCI-FI horrors). Maybe I miss read what you put, Fireknife, but I like the remake of Little Shop of Horrors (I've even got the soundtrack). I can't think of a remake of a remake (third time making the same story). Doesn't mean it hasn't been done though (The Thing made a few years ago was an interesting prequal and definitley not a remake). Pretty sure Romero remade his own movie back in the 90's (Night of the Living Dead), wasn't bad either but didn't really expand on the original just touched up the effects (my view).

Which brings me to what made me smile today, finding my old vhs copy of 'The Thing'. Might put it on top of a bus shelter.

Edit:- oooopps. Wrong thread for the smile comment, will leave it in for clarity. On to what annoys me today, and that is blocked drains, which lead to huge puddles, and getting splashed by lorries. Yyyyyyaaaayyyyy.

Yeah.  There has been a few Night of The Living Deads.

I just read there's going to be a remake of Cabin Fever.  It's only 12 years old.  And they're going to use the same script...

I was wondering how things like Scarface get away without being remade and I Googled 'scarface remake' and there's one in the works.  No doubt it will be dire compared to the first Scarface remake.

Oh don't worry Habakure, I agree on Little Shop of Horrors and The Thing being better remakes, even to the point that people forget the originals exist.

As for a remake of a remake well aside from Scarface (heard about this a few months ago, so not happy) there are a few others out there. But speaking of remakes / bad ideas they are looking to remake Highlander, the next Terminator movie is a huge retcon of the last four, All Quiet on the Western front as it is a century on from WW1 and even Drop Dead Fred is getting a remake.

Seriously, I know most ideas have been done before but why this many remakes. Even heard they are rebooting Batman again, all of say 3 years after the last one.

'FireKnife'

First, my mother's old computer is going haywire since Christmas. So she called me to give her some specs for an inexpensive internet machine, and then started blabbing her head off... At 1AM.

Now I'm a *fruitcage* zombie.

How does that work? Do you have such info readily avavilable (i.e. FaceBook)?

Still some people will try anything to not pay as much for the likes of insurance and energy bills. Clearly this person thought you were an ideal candidate for a low cost insurance. Some people eh.

'FireKnife'

How does that work? Do you have such info readily avavilable (i.e. FaceBook)?

Still some people will try anything to not pay as much for the likes of insurance and energy bills. Clearly this person thought you were an ideal candidate for a low cost insurance. Some people eh.

'FireKnife'

No idea.

Facebook is locked down to max security really, and I've never, ever posted details such as my address on it. Don't even have my birthday on there.

The quote came from john lewis insurance. My name and address, DOB, wrong email, wrong job description and wrong year of passing my test. I've never bought anything or signed up to john lewis, so they don't have my details to incorrectly add them to someone's quote.

I phoned them and they've sorted it, but I also spoke to actionfraud, who reckon my identity is now compromised. I'm contacting credit reference agencies/cifas tomorrow to get that added to my file.

It could be a mistake, but john lewis told me it wasn't an online mixup, someone called for the quote and gave my name and address, for a *suitcasey* 2005 fiat punto.

Annoying.

Archived