My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

A used X series Lenovo laptop is the best laptop in all cases other than for use as a gaming rig.

Mine actually is a backup gaming rig. That was the intention: have something that could launch an AAA title at medium details at the time of purchase.

It does run Crysis...

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I cannot *fruitcage* believe it.

The greedy bellend responsible for fixing the hinges on my laptop priced his work at 40 quid. Mostly because he had to take the cooling system off to take the case apart and replace the hinges anyway, and decided to charge extra for replacing the thermal paste. What a *fruitcage*stick.

Mostly because I couldn't be arsed to remove thirty+ screws in six different sizes, then the cooling system, then the LAST BLOODY SCREW, then wait for thermal grease to arrive, replace the hinges, replace the thermal grease, replace the cooling system, screw thirty+ screws back in.

Also, in regard to computers: it turns out that since I replaced my motherboard, Intel managed to change their CPU sockets TWICE. Taking the , or what? Well, that and I don't know whether to upgrade the desktop rig now or wait a couple more months (hey, I wanna play GTA V and be ready for the new Fallout).

AAAARRRRGH.

Two last documents to send to Geneva this week. One got lost in our computer systems. The other one uses a form that was withdrawn in 2012. Both make no sense and I have two days to chase down the people responsible and ask them what the *fruitcage* were they thinking.

Big management meeting in today.

We're all poorly paid, and all the directors are on massive salaries. They get a slap up lunch on the company expenses, while we're having a whip round just to get some milk and teabags.

And then, they all come in and start drinking our tea.

takers.

Often the way.  A friend of mine had a similar problem at work so all the non management workers had a meeting, handed in their notices, decimating the company and went on to start a new company taking all the clients with them.

Mostly because I couldn't be arsed to remove thirty+ screws in six different sizes, then the cooling system, then the LAST BLOODY SCREW, then wait for thermal grease to arrive, replace the hinges, replace the thermal grease, replace the cooling system, screw thirty+ screws back in.

Also, in regard to computers: it turns out that since I replaced my motherboard, Intel managed to change their CPU sockets TWICE. Taking the ######, or what? Well, that and I don't know whether to upgrade the desktop rig now or wait a couple more months (hey, I wanna play GTA V and be ready for the new Fallout).

I don't know but £40 for doing a good amount of work (Which you yourself can't be arsed to do) seems like a very good deal.

Yeah, have to agree. £40 doesn't get you much these days, so I'd say that price is very reasonable. It's not like:- remove three screws, remove old fuse, put in new fuse and boom, job done.

Tooth ache. Yyyyyyyaaaaaayyyy, you dirty truck ubar.

I don't know but £40 for doing a good amount of work (Which you yourself can't be arsed to do) seems like a very good deal.

Not in Middle-Eastern Europe. We're getting paid bubkes over here (for example, my monthly paycheck is an equivalent of 400 quid, and that's actually a lot though still less than medium wage), and, for comparison, I paid 100 quid for replacing the motherboard on my previous laptop, and they had to source the parts themselves.

Ah of course, didn't factor in the difference of cost-of-living. A way to visualise it for me, is that it seems to be 2 copies of The Witcher 3 :)

_______

Car people! I have a couple of questions related to my brakes on a car I bought recently, my first. 

First question is I've noticed my wheels make an "eek eek eek" sound which gets faster as I accelerate - I was thinking maybe the brake pads are slightly stuck, or need to be replaced? My dad suggested trying an emergency stop in a quiet road somewhere, is that a good idea?

Second question is I've noticed the handbrake indicator is intermittently flashing on the dash - If I tap the handbrake it'll go off for a while. It's fully down all the way. Is that a faulty sensor, or is the handbrake really likely to be extended in any way? Could the two problems be related?

Car people! I have a couple of questions related to my brakes on a car I bought recently, my first. 

First question is I've noticed my wheels make an "eek eek eek" sound which gets faster as I accelerate - I was thinking maybe the brake pads are slightly stuck, or need to be replaced? My dad suggested trying an emergency stop in a quiet road somewhere, is that a good idea?

Second question is I've noticed the handbrake indicator is intermittently flashing on the dash - If I tap the handbrake it'll go off for a while. It's fully down all the way. Is that a faulty sensor, or is the handbrake really likely to be extended in any way? Could the two problems be related?

image.jpg?w=448&c=1

eek eek eek sound with a direct relationship to roadspeed is likely to be: warped disk, sticky caliper, or sticky shoes (if you've drum brakes). A few emergency stops might help, but it's also worth slathering the rear brakes in WD40 (other quasi-lubricants are available) to try and release the handbrake mech. My Seat ibiza is notoriously bad for sticky rear calipers - some of the VW Sharans had 'helper' springs which force the handbrake lever off when not applied, and has helped considerably with a squeeky mooing noise I had.

Handbrake indicator will be linked to a switch somewhere near the handbrake lever itself. Try removing trims around the lever and see if there's a wee switch which looks loose somewhere, then try to fix back in place. :)

Wanted to go into town to see if I could get a slightly older game from the supermarket I had a gift card for.  Going down the road towards town, things going fine.  Then a jackass in a truck comes barreling out of a driveway without even looking.  If the brakes had not held I surely would have been down a car and possibly in the hospital.  Didn't even realize how close they were to getting hit, just went on their merry *fruitcage* way. 

So, rattled out of my wits, I try to drive straight to the supermarket, just to find squat.

To think my folks wonder why I don't like to go out and drive about when I am not dealing with other *suitcase*.  Complete *albartrotheth* everywhere local.

image.jpg?w=448&c=1

eek eek eek sound with a direct relationship to roadspeed is likely to be: warped disk, sticky caliper, or sticky shoes (if you've drum brakes). A few emergency stops might help, but it's also worth slathering the rear brakes in WD40 (other quasi-lubricants are available) to try and release the handbrake mech. My Seat ibiza is notoriously bad for sticky rear calipers - some of the VW Sharans had 'helper' springs which force the handbrake lever off when not applied, and has helped considerably with a squeeky mooing noise I had.

Handbrake indicator will be linked to a switch somewhere near the handbrake lever itself. Try removing trims around the lever and see if there's a wee switch which looks loose somewhere, then try to fix back in place. :)

Many thanks! I'll give your suggestions a try over the weekend :)

Lovely car though, purple Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.25l engine, central locking that works, aircon that works, sunroof that doesn't leak... Not bad for £500.

I stupidly turned the radio on to listen to an interview (bbc radio five live around 2.39pm, they were doing a special about the beheading in France and the attacks on the beach). The interviewer was trying thier damned to get the other person to tell a blood curdling story. Suffice to say they didn't get it.

Hey, if I run someone over on my scooter, but I'm not wearing a helmet when I do it, will the po po still chase me?

Saturday afternoon drinks ruined by the fact my abcess is back. *fruitcage* you abcess, am going anyway. Drown the ubar with rum.

Archived