My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, during the bank holiday weekend, me and Mrs Tink bought a third car, so that we both could have reliable diesel commuters - Mrs Tink the new (to us) Polo 1.9TDi PD100, and me our steady workhorse of a SEAT Ibiza TDi PD130.

Key words, there... just above this line. I'll repeat them again so that the slow ones in the back get it.

Reliable.....

reliable

It's time to play a game I like to call.... <insert drumroll>

GUESS WHICH CAR BROKE DOWN!?

Contestants, you have three options for this question. Is it;

0: A 13 year old 'super mini' made in germany, with 202,000 miles on the odometer 

1: an 11 year old 'super mini' made in Spain, with 140,000 miles on the odometer,

or 2: a TWO AND A HALF DECADE OLD PERFORMANCE CAR BUILt A TIME WHEN GERMANY WAS STILL SPLIT IN TWO!? WITH 190 THOUSAND FREAKING MILES ON IT!!!!11!

Oh, contestant A, I'm sorry, it wasn't 0.

Contestant B? Oh, no, it wasn't 2, either.

Which means, by default, Contestant 3, you win! Yes, the NEWEST FREAKING LOWEST MILEAGE CAR BUILT THE LEAST TIME AGO WITH THE MOST REGULAR SERVICE HISTORY broke down.

Congratulations, you win todays episode of Guess which car broke down!? And of course, a souvenir shower curtain, bottle of baby oil and a date with a knife which may or may not be on fire...

Join us next time, for more episodes of UNRELIABLE CARS, OR ARE THEY!?

So yeah. The ibiza lost 2nd, 4th and 6th gears on monday evening. Got home OK, clearly it's an issue with the gear selector system - if it was gearbox it wouldn't get any gears, if it was clutch, same. Figure it'll be the ends of the linkage cables between the gear stick inside the car and the gearbox - turns out no, the selector turret on the gearbox has rounded slightly, meaning the lever that one of the cables pushes just spins instead of pivoting.

Tech at work nipped it up yesterday (drove the corrado in on tuesday) and said it'll need sorting sooner rather than later.

Not 30 miles later and i'm pulling away from a junction and all of a sudden all my gears are gone. Drat.

So, I gets into work today - fortunately VW used the same shift turret in a few of their cars, it's expensive, at £135, but hey, it's worth it, I'll just get one of those in for tomorr-

BACK ORDERED!? Balls. Oh well, I'll check ebay. Hmm, none. thats strange. Oh well, there's a few breakers on ebay, I'll message them and ask.

"No, dat is part of de gearbox m8" 

No, no it's not. I'm looking at the parts catalogue now. It's held in with two M8 bolts. I could take it out in literally 5 minutes, including opening the bloody bonnet and unclamping the battery to move it to the side.

Full gearbox will cost circa £350 or so, plus driving accross the country to get one.

However the back ordered part will probably take 4 working days from Germania.

conundrum :(

My cars are mine.

own them, bought and paid for with money (and in the case of Rusty the corrado, blood, sweat, tears and gallons of oil).

Leasing's ok for some people, but it's not for me. I'm not saying it's bad, necessarily, but it's not something I can see myself doing.

It's looking likely that Team Tink will buy a house next year, and a garage is on my need list. This means the corrado will be with me, realistically, until I get to pass it down to my firstborn son, so that he can continue it's legacy. Plus, it's relatively easy to spanner on, and by the time he'll be old enough to drive maybe it wont be mainly rust, cable ties and prayers holding it together... ;)

Just spotted on the news that people with no quality of life still have to be forced to endure it.

I cannot possibly see any sensible argument for not allowing assisted dying. And as it's something my other half has to experience quite often, it gets my back up that it's still an issue.

People are just going abroad to do it. You aren't saving any lives by making it harder. You're just prolonging suffering

Did I already mention that the population of this shithole country consists mainly of rabid xenophobes?

Look, I'm not exactly happy seeing the riots in France or muppets like Anjem Choudhary yakking about how the West is evil to any moron willing to listen, but that doesn't *fruitcage* mean that a thousand tired and scared refugees from Syria are going to pull the same kind of *suitcase* over here tomorrow! FFS...

Just spotted on the news that people with no quality of life still have to be forced to endure it.

I cannot possibly see any sensible argument for not allowing assisted dying. And as it's something my other half has to experience quite often, it gets my back up that it's still an issue.

People are just going abroad to do it. You aren't saving any lives by making it harder. You're just prolonging suffering

Just heard too, and agree with you.

Also, your post makes your Mrs sound like Harold Shipman :P

Yesterday I bent my left big toe (and possibly the toe next to it) underneath itself due to fall down a step whilst helping carry a speaker.  Folks think I have to go have the foot looked at but I just want them to let me stop having to walk around for a few days and see if the throbbing at times goes away (It didn't permanently bend, just do not want to walk on it).

It's such nice cool weather lately too, but this plus my lack of functioning primary/battery means no games for me.

Archived