My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Would rather not have the hassle to be honest they're only 16 so it'd look worse on me (im 23).. I'll take the high road and *badgeress* behind their backs.

What I keep thinking is this:- why are they on the course? I still remember starting at college and deeps who'd mess around, instead of learning (you know, because you're there by choice), wouldn't last past November.

Delta, I think you're doing the right thing. Chin up and remember everything is experience for another day. Or kill'em all and let God sort'em out.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because in an effort to reduce the amount of perpetual dolescum households in society and in an effort to 'help encourage and supper the youth of today become the leaders of tomorrow' the labour go raised the leaving age to 18, it's only really come in over the last 2-4 years.

So at 16 you now have to be in some sort of full time education. What this means is increased funding for colleges BUT the caveat that they can't simply expel students as easily as before.

Whereas when we were 16 those students who didn't want to be there could disappear at 16 from the system for two years (the gap before they could start to claim JSA) and generally cause trouble/doss around and drink cheap cider on the streets. Now they are attending courses at college that a few years ago they wouldn't have got 9nto under the old rules (with the caveat that they have to go through gcse English and maths or the equivalent level 2 qualification)

So they rock up, puss around and fail the course they aren't interested in and then repeat it relatively safe in the knowledge they can't be booted out.

Droid pretty much summed it up I would imagine. They've all been on their "last" warning for weeks now. But each time they screw up there's always a reason to keep them and another level of warning.

God knows what happens when they go back to their dealership to actually use the skills they are meant to be learning.. Im doing full engine rebuilds, gearbox overhauls and some pretty involved work in my workshop. Either on my own or with a mentor if it's my first time. They must still be replacing brake components and servicing.

Really it doesn't affect my progress as what I don't learn at college im lucky to have a good mentor at work and so learn it from him but it's frustrating to see these kids wasting a fantastic opportunity they have just slid into because it's the next thing on the list when I had to work my *albatross* off to prove it was worth while taking a 23yo on for an apprenticeship aimed at 16yo kids.

English planning departments.  Gated community of 2 bed flats and houses.  1 parking space for each property.  4 visitor parking spaces.  Nowhere else to park.  Can't park on the road as it's off a single lane NSL road.  Genius.  To think, people get paid to come up with this *suitcase*.

Currently illegal to build a house in the Medway area with less than 2 parking spaces.

I would be a terrible PM/Ruler for life.

I have no patience for interim measures.  I would decree that everyone will stop being *albatrosses* on Monday, no time to adjust and the country would go into a tail spin.

My work often finds me doing "community consultation" for housing developments and so on. An utterly thankless task. People in the countryside don't want buildings anywhere - "build in towns!" they say. Then when you end up doing something in a  town or city people don't want tall buildings. A shopping center thing I did had a 50/50 split between people that wanted loads of car parking and people that wanted less cars in the town and more cycling. You can't please everyone but its hard enough pleasing ANYONE. 

Parking in towns is something that really bugs me.  People who want insufficient parking in their town are utter twats.  To what end?  To put people off coming?  Well, it bloody works.  There's places I'll avoid due to shockingly low levels of available parking.  Oh well, my money is wanted in a nearby town with a decent amount of parking.

My wife is a blue badge holder. In Derby, there are a handful of kerbside blue badge bays provided by the council.

In Nottingham, there are the same kerbside bays, but also 4-hours of free parking in the council-operated multistorey car parks. We can essentially park for free all day if we move from the multi-storey to an on-street bay and then to a different multistorey then back to the street again...

Guess how much we go into Derby compared to Nottingham?

Parking in towns is something that really bugs me.  People who want insufficient parking in their town are utter twats.  To what end?  To put people off coming?  Well, it bloody works.  There's places I'll avoid due to shockingly low levels of available parking.  Oh well, my money is wanted in a nearby town with a decent amount of parking.

Yeah its the same thing. Councils know people want more parking, or cheaper, but they don't want to pay more in council tax to fund it. And so the cycle continues... 

Tomorrow is the Last Day. I bet you any money Roland Emmerick nicks that and uses it in his next disaster movie. . . Or a James Bond movie.

First world problem:- cant decide on a two seater couch for my manboyi room hide away. Wether to get one that is a sofa bed as well, or just plain Jane (which isan idd saying as no Jane I've met have been 'plain').

Sofa bed. Anything that's more than one thing at once is awesome.

I would go to the cinema to see "Tomorrow is the Last Day" - we should crowd-write it on here and make millions.

Hey, it couldn't be worse than "Battleship", right? And that had Liam Neeson in it...

Of course I had to oversleep on Friday, forcing me to be stuck at work until 5:20.

Additionally, they just switched the work servers off for maintenance that is supposed to end on Monday afternoon. So I just shrugged and took Monday off.

Two hours with *fruitcage*-all to do. Gnaaarf.

Virgin bloody mobile. My phone screen is broken and I'm due for an upgrade so yesterday I rang them, went through the whole process and at the end found out I would be paying a tenner more a month now that insurance isn't included. I decided to look at other phones and rang them back today, only to fail the credit check this time. Now they're saying I have to wait 3 months before trying again. That's 3 months with a busted phone. Time to look elsewhere I think

Archived