My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mother in law phoned up earlier today, totally distraught as she'd been "hacked" - by which I mean someone had phoned claiming to be from talktalk customer services and got her to basically set up remote access to her router and laptop, thereby gaining control of everything. She realised this afterwards when she phoned talk talk up herself and they told her they were not phoning people about anything at the time.

Had to calm her down and find the customer service number for her bank, tell her to call the police non emergency number to get a crime reference number, to go online and change her passwords for everything she could think of: Facebook, eBay, PayPal, email account, whatever she has...

Partly, I'm amazed anyone still falls for this kind of thing, and partly I'm infuriated that people are still doing it and apparently not being locked up.

Problem is that it is far, far too easy to set up and get away with. Hell I could set about three up right now and set them on spamming people for money.

Though I feel that, no offence Hedge, but coming from an IT background people really do behave quite stupidly when it comes to computers and especially the internet.

Most companies will not phone you about an issue and if they do they will have to prove who they are first. Same goes for the people that do things like torrent and end up with viruses and they just click on the first thing they see and assume it is fine and dandy.

Though this might also have to do with the fact that I genuinely have to deal with people on a daily basis that want us to deactivate the blocking of zip files in emails and then they get the Locky ransomware within a week and we have to clean up their . You would think in this day and age with all the social paranoia we have that people might take that on and not make such mistakes but clearly, no they don't. <_<

'FireKnife'

What makes me laugh is the fact I can phone any of my clients on a generic office number, ask to speak to someone, say 'what is your computer name' and connect in without more than a 'my name is Ryan and I work for........'

I know it is the main part of my job but seriously people have a bit more sense to ask and check who I am first! :D.

'FireKnife'

One of the best ideas is to say "okay, I'll phone customer services and get them to put me back through to you" then hang up and call the published number.

If they're legit, the customer service ought to know about them.

I never take anyone at face value when they call. If they want info, I tell them the same, hang up and call the revelant number :)

The mother in law phoned up earlier today, totally distraught as she'd been "hacked" - by which I mean someone had phoned claiming to be from talktalk customer services and got her to basically set up remote access to her router and laptop, thereby gaining control of everything. She realised this afterwards when she phoned talk talk up herself and they told her they were not phoning people about anything at the time.

Had to calm her down and find the customer service number for her bank, tell her to call the police non emergency number to get a crime reference number, to go online and change her passwords for everything she could think of: Facebook, eBay, PayPal, email account, whatever she has...

Partly, I'm amazed anyone still falls for this kind of thing, and partly I'm infuriated that people are still doing it and apparently not being locked up.

Wow.

I tell the Mrs to just tell anyone to call me.

I had one call me and claim to be Microsoft customer services and that they were calling to help me with my recent problems.

I said that would be difficult since I don't use Microsoft products.

They said they were also able to help me with my Apple/iOS computer or tablet.

The conversation then went along the lines of "try again moron, I'm using Linux and I know you are a thief and a scumbag"

They hung up.

Thank you all for the kind words.

We have about one a year since we got married nearly 9 years ago.

It is easier for me since (once I accepted that I wouldn't be having children) I decided to hate them.

Focussing on the negatives of parenthood and the positives of my situation make it easier to accept.

The Mrs is not able to do that and things have been hard on her.

Being married to a man with all the compassion of a belt sander doesn't help.

Nah I reckon it's more the compassion of a steam hammer - if you're idiotic with him you'll get your hands turned into jam.

This conjured up all sorts of thoughts that make me giggle and recoil in horror in equal measures!

I've just got the image in my head of someone doing "jazz hands" except their hands are jam and they're screaming in agony.

Its hilarious and slightly nauseating at the same time.

Stunt has always struck me as cruel, which I've best heard described by Patrick Rothfuss: (Denna is the rather beautiful antagonist (for lack of a better word) in the brilliant books 'The Kingkiller Chronicles' and the subject of our main characters (Kvothe) obsession.

"But she seems rather," he hesitated, "cruel."

I nodded. "She is."

Simmon watched me expectantly, finally said. "What? No defense for her?"

"No. Cruel is a good word for her. But I think you are saying cruel and thinking of something else. Denna is not wicked, or mean, or spiteful. She is cruel."

Sim was quiet for a long while before responding. "I think she might be some of those things, and cruel as well."

Good, honest gentle Sim. He could never bring himself to say bad things about another person, just imply them. Even that was hard for him.

He looked up at me. "I talked with Savoy. He's still not over her. He really loved her, you know. Treated her like a princess. He would have done anything for her. But she left him anyway, no explanation."

"Denna is a wild thing," I explained. "Like a hind or a summer storm. If a storm blows down your house, or breaks a tree, you don't say the storm was mean. It was cruel. It acted according to its nature and something unfortunately was hurt. The same is true of Denna."

Stunt will act according to his nature and things will, unfortunately, get hurt. He's never struck me as mean or hateful or excessively argumentative, but I have no doubt if you crossed him, or pushed him too far, he'd kill you with nary a word.

So... New top gear.

Only just watched the opening credits, and it seems like evans is already trying to emulate clarkson...

I was dubious even whether to bother recording it, but will stick it out and shall report back. Update in a bit when I've watched it and woken up properly with a brew!

And... It was average.

Seemed like they were emulating top gear of old. Can't explain that really, as it's been the same format for ages, but it was more like top gear on Dave, than BBC2.

Evans was meh, Leblanc I liked. Will probably watch again

I also liked how blackpool was portrayed as a *suitcase* hole. Because it is.

Other rant, I was on foot there yesterday for nearly 12 hours. Running in full armour and kit and boots in hot sunshine sucks, especially when it's a nothing job chasing chavvy girls. Who are surprisingly quick.

Pace counter says I did nearly 23 kilometres that shift. I miss the car, and am buying better socks!

Nah, not bullet proof, just...

uncompromising.

and a teency bit psycotic.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/psychosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I'll take that.

Socks.

Wear those calf length hold up stocking things under decent merino wool hiking socks and powder the heck out of your feet.

These ones:

http://www.clothingattesco.com/womens-hosiery/f+f-3-pair-pack-of-40-denier-knee-highs/invt/ch531414&bklist=icat,4,shop,lingerie-shop,womens-hosiery

I usually wear merino, but it was too hot yesterday. Also, those holder things would me right off.

And leave me open to crazy amounts of ridicule.

My boots are well fitting and I don't need them anyway, socks stay up. Will be buying thinner merino ones and gel insoles for if I'm on foot again.

I'm due new socks. Definitely before GZ in August.

I bought new underwear for airsoft. Under Armour boxerjock they're called. They're not gonna absorb sweat, become moist and chafe my undercarriage.

I usually wear merino, but it was too hot yesterday. Also, those holder things would ###### me right off.

And leave me open to crazy amounts of ridicule.

My boots are well fitting and I don't need them anyway, socks stay up. Will be buying thinner merino ones and gel insoles for if I'm on foot again.

Try PlanetX coolmax cycling socks.

You can get multi packs of tight-fitting, comfortable, warm weather socks for cheap.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXSOCOOL/planet-x-coolmax-socks-%283-pack%29

Out in leatherhead to collect a van from a customer.. Even though it was a 1600 collection they don't expect it to be available until 1730... Now I have to waste an hour and a half in leatherhead.. There is sweet *fruitcage* all to do in leatherhead.. Grumpy James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived