My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

So, I don't have much luck with cars.

Damn that's bloody awful!

Do you travel more than 15,000 miles a year or spend more than £200 a month on fuel, road tax, maintenance etc?

Or

Do you have a budget of £6k+ and is the daily distance you travel under 80 miles?

If so, I can highly recommend a new or used Nissan Leaf.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tink, thankyou. I'll jump on it when I'm off nights.

Xaccers, new budget is around 13K, daily commute is approx 25 miles.

I can't stand Nissan service though, and I didn't want to go electric really, but tbh I will look into it as it's an avenue I hadn't thought of, thanks :)

Tink, thankyou. I'll jump on it when I'm off nights.

Xaccers, new budget is around 13K, daily commute is approx 25 miles.

I can't stand Nissan service though, and I didn't want to go electric really, but tbh I will look into it as it's an avenue I hadn't thought of, thanks :)

Yeah I've heard their customer service seems to be either really good, or absolutely pants.

I'm paying £242 a month for my Black Edition which was basically created to use up Nissan's 3.3kW chargers as the new version has a bigger battery so comes with a faster 6.6kW charger (for home charging or at the shops, they all come with a 50kW DC rapid port) so the only things it lacks from the top range Tekna is the leather heated seats and steering wheel, and the Bose sound system. So that's about £8.5k over 3 years with 15,000 miles a year and a guaranteed final value of £10k which is what will be left to pay, so with the release of the new version, and a 60kWh battery coming before my term is up, I'll probably hand mine back and pick up a new one, then keep that after the initial payment period is up.

You can get a 4 day test drive. Costs about 2.5p per mile to run if charging at home. If you're in Scotland then it's free electricity from public chargers.

Decent size inside, leaves most other cars for dust at the traffic lights, really low centre of gravity so handles great :D

Do you realise how far 15 miles is to cycle?

I worked 3 miles from home and thought in a bought of madness "Hey, why don't I buy a bike and cycle to work, it will get me fit too!"

Half a mile later my thighs felt like they were going to explode so I had to turn round and go hom. And I picked up a heavy cold while out!

Nah they're totally running with no issues! You wouldn't have any expenditure after purchase, I haven't other than tyres. Granted I have a list of things I want to do with it but none of it needs to be done! And as for the second hand malarkey.. maybe but... super fast mini always makes everything better!

Go on you know you want to!

All cars cost money.

New cars cost money to buy, or lease and run.

Second hand cars cost less money to buy and sometimes more sometimes less money to to run.

Classic cars cost you either nothing to buy or cost you and arm and a leg to buy, and then whip you all the way to the bank while emptying out your pockets, and smashing you piggy bank going MINE *badgeress*!

Is the 13k budget for buying outright? What are your requirements? I'll do some searching, find you some options.

Do you realise how far 15 miles is to cycle?

I worked 3 miles from home and thought in a bought of madness "Hey, why don't I buy a bike and cycle to work, it will get me fit too!"

Half a mile later my thighs felt like they were going to explode so I had to turn round and go hom. And I picked up a heavy cold while out!

Yeah, 3 miles is 4800m, at a modest pace that should take under 15 minutes.

Sure, the first time you do it it will hurt.  The thing is that you will acclimatise to it relatively quickly.

Like you said, get fit.  Not stay fit.

When I first started cycling I could barely cycle for 30 minutes before I was done.

My legs would scream at me to stop and when I got off the bike I couldn't walk and my gooch felt like I'd been kicked in it.

I got up to the stage where I expected to be able to cycle 600km in a single 30 hour stint and successfully did 414km in 20hrs and 45 minutes.

The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Even though I consider myself to be extremely unfit right now I could quite happily jump on the bike and grind out 100 miles.

With all that said, I would say 3 miles is too short a distance to bother with a bike.  By the time I have put the gear on and taken it off and have had a shower and locked the bike up etc. I would be faster walking.

It's not far enough to get warmed up and build up to full speed.

I generally take it easy for 10 minutes and then pick up the pace.  On flat ground I can cruise at 33 to 35 km/h which should translate to a journey of less than 10 minutes.

It just doesn't work out.

3 miles at walking pace should take 45 minutes, 15 minutes on the bike.

The half an hour isn't worth the hassle.

Stunt is a cycling machine...

Thanks

Negatory, stunt is a machine that cycles.

You'll make me blush

Yes. A treacle tart and rock star energy energy drink fuelled motorbike.

Damn straight.

Also, jelly babies and pepperami.

I am fueled by garbage.

Anyway, if you don't want to cycle to work, that's fine.  Just an idea.  You seem to have a a decent chunk of money.

If it is worth anything, I am extremely fond of my Skoda Citigo.

Archived