My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Thanks again. The good news was that he was discharged yesterday, but the bad news is that they found a lump in his lung which is probably cancer and a couple of lumps on the back of the neck which they're hoping are just lesions. All in all he's taking it very well though

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again. The good news was that he was discharged yesterday, but the bad news is that they found a lump in his lung which is probably cancer and a couple of lumps on the back of the neck which they're hoping are just lesions. All in all he's taking it very well though

That's *suitcase* news mate.

Keep the chins up, though, survival rates are up.

It gets worse. Tests showed cancer in the lung, stomach and brain. The doctors told him it's treatable but also incurable so he's got a few years left. On the plus side it's given me the kick up the *albartroth* I needed to give up the fags

Don't worry about it, a rant about even the smallest of things makes me feel better so go right ahead

Hedganian, thanks. I managed it a few years ago but stupidly started again. As for the savings I've already been thinking about what to spend it on

Okeydoke then...

what we've got here is two pairs of an ortholinear, split, ergonomic keyboard known as a 'minidox', so called because it's smaller in size and total keycount than the 'ergodox' split ergonomic keyboard.

a5f4eca9ad117b4a42c06e1f7f239d0b.jpg

Each keyboard is made up mainly of 4 parts. 2x PCBs, and 2x 'promicro' controllers. 

Each keyboard half has a promicro controller which has the full keymap (what button makes what character appear) and the firmware for that half.

As such, only one of the keyboard halves needs to be connected via USB, the other half is connected to the 'master' half by a TRRS cable (headphone cable with the extra ring for the microphone).

When I bought the PCB's in the first place, I got the promicros at the same time, and they were pre-programmed with the correct keymap and firmware for each half.

Due to an error which sadly is 100% attributable to me, I soldered a 'right' brain onto the 'left' board. Means the buttons on the left board actually propogate the characters from the right half - y, u, i. o, p, etc etc.

That is problem number one. Right hand brain, left hand buttons.

Problem number 2 is that the brain on the right hand board didnt work.

I assumed that at some point during the soldering, I messed it up, and fried the board, as it didn't work. Not when plugged in directly, not when plugged in as a slave to the left (but pretending to be right) master board, not when plugged in the other way, nothing. Nada. Zilch.

So, I borrowed a hot air gun from work, desoldered the old right hand brain, bought a new one.

Flashed it and confirmed working with the correct keymap and firmware.

Soldered it to the right hand board.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

The controller on the left hand board for some arcane reason will not accept a new version of the firmware to tell it it's actually a left hand board. 

The right hand board is not working for an as yet unknown reason.

To top that off, I've just assembled my own pair (the ones with the black and beige switches) and the 'w' switch doesn't work. Which is masked by the promicro controller, and as such almost impossible to re-solder. 

I'm hesistant to solder the right brain to mine in case I need to make it actually a left brain for Ginge's board (the clear and white switches) in order to get that working at the very least as a game pad, until i can understand why the right board doesn't work. 

As part of flashing the new firmware to the controller you have to short two of the pins (Ground and Reset) on the promicro twice, in under a second, in order to force it to reboot into the bootloader where it can receive new instructions.

You get 8 seconds to start the process.

it appears on my system that windows takes 6 seconds to recognise it as a new device and assign a communications port to it. 

leaving me two seconds to select that com port and initiate the software write.

This is tricky, to say the least...

It is. It's as old as mankind itself, we just didn't get it much because of more exercise ( makes 'natural killer cells, sounds goofy, but it's a thing), we didn't last long to notice we got cancer and if we had a strange illness it was due to ' the devil in our body'.

Now we live quite a long, luxurious life without much movement and mostly surrounded by toxic, cancerous materials/environment.

It sucks, but it's nearly as inevitable as getting old :(

I hope she recovers, man. And a cure or repressant would be good, if we gave scientist a tad more resources .

On a other, waaaaaaaaay less serious rant: Airsoft orga's here are so into the money, they basically swamp the field with players. No room for flanking or sneakyness.

My prevrious fieldowner even shrunk the field because he 'felt' there wouldn't be any action otherwise. It's the same guy that started the game by putting 20 enola gale smokebombs in a building for show and I walked away with with bronchitis. People don't think, do they?

Breathing these things isn't healthy to start with, but filling en entire building and telling us we need to hold is is pure BS.

I hate it when marchals/ fieldowners dictate how we play. Especially when we're only getting cqb and grassy fields, here. Most deforested country in the friggin EU.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I have a site fairly local like that. The guy running it doesn't cap the numbers so it's not uncommon to have 140+ players on a site which has a just over a half mile perimeter. (I just measured it on Google earth to make sure I wasn't exaggerating)

The game day is in my opinion dog *suitcase*. Obviously some people like it, but it's definitely not my idea of woodland.

So many bad airsoft sites.

One of the things I'd do with a huge windfall is open a site called something like;

"Ginge's airsoft site, automotive workshop, LAN party venue, geek shop and micro brewery.  Now incorporating Tink's hipster coffee hole.  Ask me about two for one pizza on Arduino Tuesday"

So many bad airsoft sites.

One of the things I'd do with a huge windfall is open a site called something like;

"Ginge's airsoft site, automotive workshop, LAN party venue, geek shop and micro brewery. Now incorporating Tink's hipster coffee hole. Ask me about two for one pizza on Arduino Tuesday"

Oh man...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I fear me and L_B would be getting you in trouble with immigration by being there constantly while carrying EU passports... :D

A friend had scary New years, a drunk university student fell off the balcony above theirs (4th floor), landed on her feet and not her head, tho. Friend was down there managing the first aid and all, but couldn't really sleep afterwards for the scare and the cops doing scene photos for hours.

Because they need to check if she jumped, dropped on her own or got pushed. Yuck.

Archived