My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overnight parts delivery missing 85% of expected parts due to an unexplained 'issue' at the main warehouse.

Phone up our internal support team to explain that actually, I did need these parts. That's why I ordered them... They'll be with you tomorrow. But I need them today...

Arranged a 'same day' courier service in order to get the parts here today so we can get on with various jobs in the workshop.

Still not here, usually comes around 1630/1700 ish so phone up the transport team.

"oh yeah we didn't receive the request until gone noon so we didn't have enough time to schedule a van. We've put them into your overnight delivery.

So now, instead of having today's delivery today, I get today's delivery tomorrow...

Twice.

Overnight parts delivery missing 85% of expected parts due to an unexplained 'issue' at the main warehouse.

Phone up our internal support team to explain that actually, I did need these parts. That's why I ordered them... They'll be with you tomorrow. But I need them today...

Arranged a 'same day' courier service in order to get the parts here today so we can get on with various jobs in the workshop.

Still not here, usually comes around 1630/1700 ish so phone up the transport team.

"oh yeah we didn't receive the request until gone noon so we didn't have enough time to schedule a van. We've put them into your overnight delivery.

So now, instead of having today's delivery today, I get today's delivery tomorrow...

Twice.

No doubt its still your fault, too...

I got 4 parcels today,

An SSD for the nice lady who actually paid me to fix her computer.  Computer is slow and still spinning rust so I thought I'd treat her.

A handlebar for my green bike so I can put the old groupset from the orange bike on the green one to sell it.

Plus green bar tape.

Plus barrel adjusters.

A replacement keyboard fro my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12, it feels as good as new now.  Since it is a Yoga the process was more difficult than with a normal Thinkpad.

Normally you have to remove a couple of screws from the back, slide the board up, pop off a ribbon connector and you are done.

This time I had to remove the back of the computer, battery, 2.5" SSD, M.2 SSD, WiFi card, Speakers, Motherboard and eleventy billion screws, many of them Pos 0 size.

Irritating but not "My eye".

I also got my state of the art, cutting edge SRAM Red eTap HRD flat mount Groupset.

Titanium hydraulic brake calipers, reach and bite point adjustable brake levers, wireless electric servo operated gear shifting, light weight, 2x11 gears, new brake rotors, new chain, new cassette.

Utterly ridiculous, unnecessary top end bike stuff for my already OTT bike.

Beautiful, just waiting for me to install it,

Waiting.

In Kent.

While I sit here in what might be the worst hotel in Bromsgrove.

Because tomorrow I am going to test four entry level building site bottom feeders on how to guide a truck.

No free WiFi, no restaurant, no breakfast, no wife.

This room sucks.

So the government has a hard on for widening the scope of the 5p carrier bag tax.  Fair enough, too much plastic blah, blah, blah.  Am I missing something, but why the *fruitcage* don't we just use paper bags?  You know, like other countries have been doing for decades.  Nice and easy to recycle.  No landfill.  Is this just another case of our politicians failing to round up enough brain cells to make a sensible decision?  Perhaps they're invested in companies that make plastic bags...

It's not a bag tax though.

A company of over 200 employees must charge 5p for single use carrier bags. The government don't get this money, the company does. It's suggested that they will give this money to charity, but that part is not law.

Yeah, it's not a government tax as such.  That money has and never will go to the government.  It's just an extra cost to deter people from using plastic bags.  I'm not sure if there's a more suitable word to use.  Deterrent charge?  I don't know about other people, but I don't always carry a reusable bag wherever I go.  If I decide to randomly pop in to somewhere to pick up a few bits, a paper bag would be more that suitable.  It just makes no sense why they're not more widely used.

5p? The cheeky gits over here decided to charge over 10p for a bag, although one larger and sturdier than the usual *suitcase* I was using as a bin liner after bringing the stuff home.

Also, a busy Friday at work. It's heresy, heresy I tell you!

I haven't used a carrier bag in over 20 years.

I carry a day sack, I have big pockets.

The boot of my wife's car, however, is entirely full of "bags for life".

There is no room for groceries.

Just bags.

I think plastic carrier bags should be £30 each, just to inconvenience everyone because I don't use them.

Curse my lack of being able to drive.

There's post opening support coming up for a new pub opening but I'm probably not making the cut because I've never picked up this critical skill. I want to end up as one of my company's regional trainers so this would have been an excellent opportunity to build a name.

It's not hard, just expensive.

Do it.

Yeah thats the problem. I need to be saving for when I move in April.

And even once I get driving down (probably going to take me a load of lessons as I'm dyspraxic) running a car is going to be a small fortune as I'll be a new driver, least I won't be a young driver as 27 next month.

If it wasn't for the US and their 'war on drugs' we'd probably have sweet, viable, 100% biodegradable hemp plastic bags by now.

In all seriousness, we're trying to legalise it. Which is stupid, because dealers will still offer a better price point over quality.

And the way the US is going now, cheap weed is all you can afford thanks to inflation.

To be honest, legalizing weed wouldn't automatically mean plastic bags going away.

1: Not all weed/hemop is the same. The fiber hemp is entirely different breed from the smoked hemp. (Although collating the two was why Hearst was pushing so much for t´'togh drug laws', hemp was competing with his plantations for paper production for newspapers...)

2: Hemp doesn't grow for free, and the kind of land it requires would compete with food production. Sure, your shopping bag could be oil-free, but you couldn't afford to eat as much as before, because the hemp profits outshine food profits until someone (government) steps in and either outlaws hemp again, or spends your money to subsidy food production. Not to mention that fiber hemp needs fertilizer and irrigation...

Those are the two major points that the hemp lobby are conveniently downplaying whenever they make their pitch.

Not sure if you recall I had issues with my chromecast.

Managed to resolve it. The video is of what it was doing, complete with gormless wife asking what I was doing.

The image is the issue sorted.

On Dropbox, couldn't upload to the gallery here for some reason. The reason being me and technology *fruitcage* hate each other.

Edit, see? No video... *fruitcage* brilliant.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfjs5w59dz5ns6x/DSC_0288.JPG?dl=0

Edit 2, video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae431a9e8bqr0x2/MOV_0287.mp4?dl=0

Archived