My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New bed includes two different sizes of cross-head screws, a bunch of hex bolts (at least they were all the same size) and two regular bolts.

My back aches from screwing in all the various things - the worst one being the 18 billion screws holding the slats in place...

*albatross* gravy am teh worst.

Also, guys, don't buy flat pack furniture. It's rubbish. I hate it, and will never go to ikea on principle that I've seen enough of their stuff to hate it.

If you're careful and take your time, second hand stuff will be better made and last longer if you can't get new :)

Got to love Ikea!! The flat pack stuff is great value and isn't to shabby provided its assembled right. That the trick, take your time and assemble it perfectly or get someone with a bit of skill who can to do it for you.

Nah, the furniture holds together but the surface finish on all my Ikea stuff is total garbage.

The bedside tables have huge gouges in them from - coasters.

The top of the sideboard warped and has a gouge in it from - a set of keys.

The cupboard above my oven has delaminated and the paint is peeling off the ones above the kettle.

Garbage.

I don't mind Ikea / flat pack stuff.

For the price that most of it is, it does a good job. 

Also, if you're savvy, you can get the stuff that's made better, solid wood not MDF, proper fixings etc. 

Afterall, all wooden furniture was flat pack at one point ;)

New bed is solid pine, with dark stain. Looks alright.

In the spare room I've got a solid pine high-sleeper bed with a desk under it, unfinished.

It's good quality for the price I paid for it.

If I had the cash, I'd be getting everything in solid oak - but that's very expensive these days.

Company is required to keep all leaver's files on site for 7 years after they leave.

Head Office have just sent out a directive that we need to audit these files to ensure we have them and our list has come through. Over 2500 files need to be accounted for and any missing reported (highly likely auditors will request random people's files on audits to check compliance).

And of course our team never really bothered with any order to our old files (barring year of departure) given how many we go through.

Goody...

I only needed pedals to complete my bike.

I ordered them form the only Amazon retailer who had them in stock and could deliver them by this weekend.

I ordered them on Wednesday and got a delivery notification on Thursday.

Then, on Friday, I got an email from the shop saying that the pedals had been marked as dispatched by mistake and that they weren't in stock.

I replied to that email on Friday and yesterday and I have not heard back from them.

I am furious.

Non standard screwheads. 

Either finding imperial hex here in the metric EU, even worse so because while it's quite easy go get imperial screws by mistake, it's very hard to find correct imperial tools like a hex bit set. Everything sold here is metric!

Surely it can't be that hard to get them? Wera hex-plus imperial hex key sets are what I'd look for, I'd be amazed if no one stocks them domestically.

https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/WERA-PRO-9-Piece-IMPERIAL-AF-Stainless-Steel-Hex-Ball-End-Allen-Key-Set-022721/290362999568?hash=item439afbc310:g:w4cAAOxyZw5Ra~3J (UK seller I know)

I hate hex bolts.

I hate poor quality hex bolts and hex keys, every problem I've ever had with them can be traced to one of three things,

1) Poor quality bolts

2) Poor quality or worn hex keys

3) Bolts that clearly are at the end of their lifespan and need replacing, not refitting

At my own workshop where I have the option of buying the better quality bolts and allen keys (Wera hex-plus or Wiha all the way) I have 0 issues with hex bolts, at my part time day job I don't have that option and the above 3 problems often cause me grief.

Torx really is the way for smaller bolts/screws though, and it's something even the imperial people understand.

So my new gun probably won't be operational for this weekend.

The stock I ordered to repair the damage caused in transit by parcelforce, has landed in the UK... where it's now in the hands of parcelforce.

The USPS tracker shows it land in London then leave the airport (3 days ago), but the parcelforce tracker doesn't even show it landing.

While they've got the cushy government contract, parcelforce have zero incentive to improve.

off doesn't even cover it. The bit I ordered from Russia is out for delivery today, and it was ordered 2 days afterwards.

Archived